Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Major problems with my 2011 Cruze

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2014, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruze it gets better

Just wanted to drop a note about my 2011 cruze ls that I had so many problems with, the engine has overheated three times and I know the engine was damaged , also transmission still not shifting correctly , but now I have 80,000 miles on it and it runs pretty good but it still bothers me that the engine overheated with only 1,000 miles on it?? My breaks don't work backing up from time to time, GM why don't you take care of these issues people who bought the 2011 cruze should be compensated and be able to trade out for a different year cruze , obviously that is not going to happen , hopefully nobody has to die before GM admits the 2011 Cruze ls 1.8 has major safety concerns, other than that I like the car I just don't like having to worry about my bran new car breaking down, I honestly have not got to have that " I got a new car feeling" when you have stress free car ownership , now I am truly concerned my warranty is almost up on power train , wish I could trade this car in for the Malibu , I still think the cruze is a good car but the first year model has quirks like most any new thing the quirks need to be figured out, but not on my dollar.
Old September 27th, 2014, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 with the same symptoms

My 2012 is constantly* having the same issue. The fan is currently on, engine light is intermittent but when I was able to have it read I came back with P0597. I've just hit 40k with it and have had it since day one so it is out of warranty.

Is there a common fix for this yet? Or any advice on how to proceed?

Last edited by DMoreland87; September 27th, 2014 at 4:17 PM. Reason: edit: changed currently to constantly in body.
Old September 29th, 2014, 1:28 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoreland87
My 2012 is constantly* having the same issue. The fan is currently on, engine light is intermittent but when I was able to have it read I came back with P0597. I've just hit 40k with it and have had it since day one so it is out of warranty.

Is there a common fix for this yet? Or any advice on how to proceed?
We apologize for your trouble, DMoreland87. If this is an engine issue it looks like you'd still be under the vehicle Powertrain warranty, meaning you could possibly have your dealership check into this further. If this is something that interests you, please PM us your VIN and contact information. We'd be happy to connect you with your local Chevy service team for further assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 14th, 2014, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 cruze with 19000 miles - out of coolant

Just bought a 2012 cruze from Carmax 2 weeks ago. Went to use heater for the first time last night and it didn't work. Opened the hood to see coolant reservoir empty. Now reading about others with coolant issues and water pump problems. Taking it back to carmax for diagnosis. Is there an actual fix for this yet? Don't want to mess with going back to carmax over and over.
Old November 14th, 2014, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Greetings to all.

I purchased my car exactly two months ago. It was a lease before that. In the beginning, it started making strange sounds from the front. Sounded like a car stuck in ice and someone stepped on the gas hard. It would do this sporadically. After the second time I put gas in it (I put in the best gas, not the cheapest kind available), the sounds lessened, so I thought gas had been the issue (they sold it to me with a full tank). I had taken it in about two weeks in for that first weird sound and they checked it (of course the sound didn't make an appearance when they tested it!) and said nothing was wrong. They checked the coolant for the recall.

Now it's not making THAT sound, but I have felt it lag when I step on the gas. Sometimes I have to change lanes quickly getting on the highway and it takes quite a bit before the accelaration kicks in. This happens at other 'normal' times, too. Like at a red light. Sometimes this DOES make me nervous, as it feels like it won't go. I'm in Wisconsin and with much, much cooler temperatures, it can be scary!

Is this normal? Are the better questions to be asking? Things to check within it?

Thanks in advance!
Old November 15th, 2014, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dt40943
Just bought a 2012 cruze from Carmax 2 weeks ago. Went to use heater for the first time last night and it didn't work. Opened the hood to see coolant reservoir empty. Now reading about others with coolant issues and water pump problems. Taking it back to carmax for diagnosis. Is there an actual fix for this yet? Don't want to mess with going back to carmax over and over.
My suggestion.....take it back to Carmax and get a different car, otherwise get used to seeing the service dept.
Old November 18th, 2014, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cruze coolant not cool

Originally Posted by dt40943
I never got a explanation as to why my coolant ram out , also after it was repaired the coolant turned milky never got a explanation on that either but I can say my cruze is finally running good so keep your head up , just remember don't buy a new design car first year model again!!! The transmission will never b rite in this car something you will find you have no choice but to except . GM knows these cars have problems and they just hope that other people who bought this car don't all have problems at once . I just don't understand how they could not do more for us , we are obviously not people of wealth so buying a new car is a big deal and suppose to be a joy well not this time , but like I said I haven't had any major problems sense last overheat of engine so I am assuming GM knows what the problem is . It just bothers me all the crap I had to go through and knowing a bran new engine must have interior damage , time will tell , other than that it's a good car!!!!!
Old November 18th, 2014, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cruze no good in any year

[QUOTE=pissedoffatgm;285217]Just wanted to drop a note about my 2011 cruze ls that I had so many problems with, the engine has overheated three times and I know the engine was damaged , also transmission still not shifting correctly , but now I have 80,000 miles on it and it runs pretty good but it still bothers me that the engine overheated with only 1,000 miles on it?? My breaks don't work backing up from time to time, GM why don't you take care of these issues people who bought the 2011 cruze should be compensated and be able to trade out for a different year cruze , obviously that is not going to happen , hopefully nobody has to die before GM admits the 2011 Cruze ls 1.8 has major safety concerns, other than that I like the car I just don't like having to worry about my bran new car breaking down, I honestly have not got to have that " I got a new car feeling" when you have stress free car ownership , now I am truly concerned my warranty is almost up on power train , wish I could trade this car in for the Malibu , I still think the cruze is a good car but the first year model has quirks like most any new thing the quirks need to be figured out, but not on my dollar.[/QUOTE
I've researched high and low for solutions to my 2012 cruze problems only to realize that the 2012 has so many of the same issues as the 2010,11,13,14. GM issued a few recalls on the 10&11. Not nearly enough and to boot they continue to sell newer year cruze will the same problems as earlier years but haven't recalled the same issues in newer cars. I can't afford to have GM do a diagnosis at over $100 every time something goes wrong, never mind the out of pocket cost for parts & repairs when they test my patients by telling me it's not covered. GM took taxpayer money to stay afloat. In return GM turned around and decided to sell the taxpayers crap, screw them on warranties, hold out on recalls, manufacture parts in such a way that you have to buy entire components rather than individual parts and most parts are heavily inflated in price. In a nutshell, GM is robbing the American people blind.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Continual problems

So after having the Cruze to the dealership for the PB code and being told it was fixed by replacing the thermostat housing we are still having problems!!
Now we are losing antifreeze by the gallon! Just over the weekend we lost a huge puddle and also the overflow was empty so we of course had to put more in.
We have never had this much problem with any vehicle we have owned!
Has 60k miles and now out of warranty, only have owned it for 14 months.
Can someone point me in a direction?!
Old November 24th, 2014, 4:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Another one!

Sorry to hear about this! The exact things to wrote about happened to me as well! My turbo charger went first, I had all of my paperwork except for one, but the oil change sticker was on the window! Even though I had less than 30,000 miles on my car, and had an extended warranty, I had to pay the $1500 to get it fixed. My water cooler went out a few weeks later. Now, I'm sitting on 2 more recalls (one of which is the coolant thing you mention!), my car is still acting draggy, and the GPS/clock has stopped working. I printed out this forum and showed it to the tech at the dealership, and he acknowledged that this car was a piece of crap but there was nothing he could do about it.

I'm really hoping that someone files a class action lawsuit about this car. I too have always had GM cars, but never again.

One more thing that is kinda funny. I saw a post on Facebook sponsored by Chevy and it said something like "tell us why you love Chevy" and people were posting all the terrible stuff about the Cruze. Totally high jacked!

Originally Posted by bwelsh822
Hey Guys,

Coming here out of desperation...

Let me start off by saying that I have only ever owned Chevys and I have bought them all from the same place (JBA) and let me just tell you how fed up I am with my cruze

I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze 2LT TURBO with around 37,000 miles on it

Let me give you my history with this car, Not only have I done all 500 recalls that this car has had I also had my water pump replaced not even a year after I had the car (warranty paid) also, six months later in September I had to pay OUT OF POCKET ($1,600) to have my turbocharger replaced after I couldn't prove that I had my oil changed regularly (when I did) they made me pay for it and said that was the cause even though I KNEW IT WASN'T!!!! Now here we are 6 months later in March and my check engine light has come on AGAIN for no reason with no warning and my acceleration has completely dropped. I have ZERO coolant in the overflow tank and the code scanner is coming up P00B7 Irregular/Low Coolant Flow... Now my car is OUT of warranty and I have no clue what repairs are going to have to be done now..

I am completely done with this car. When the Turbo Charger problem happened I received ZERO compassion or help from GM Customer Service even though I have been a LIFE LONG chevy person... I've owned a 2000 Chevy S-10 a 2002 Trailblazer and a 2004 Tahoe all of which I had no problems with like this...

Has anyone else experienced these problems? or better yet does anyone have any suggestions on how to get out from under this car?! I'm almost positive I owe more than it is going to be worth and I have NO interest in EVER buying ANYTHING General Motors ever makes again! It really is a shame that they are allowed to put these POS cars out and than expect people not to be pissed when something happens!

I'm at a complete loss here people... I have never felt more betrayed and had in my life...

Quick Reply: Major problems with my 2011 Cruze