Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2011, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problems

Hi everyone, as you can see I'm new to this forum. I joined because my girlfriend and I are noticing some major problems with the transmission in her 2011 Cruze.

We have taken it to the dealership and they did say there was a service bulletin on the issue and they "updated the computer" on the car that is supposed to adjust based on her driving style. They said it would adjust accordingly after 100 miles, but we have noticed no difference.

The problem we are having is that the car shifts very roughly between gears, particularly 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd. It sometimes gets stuck between first and second and the car gets stuck around 20mph and you can hear the engine revving but the car is not shifting.

Of course, this is when the car is in drive and not in the "tiptronic" or manual shift mode.

I did read that the Cruze was delayed due to transmission problems and I'm curious if this is in any way related. I'm also curious if there is anything we can say to the technicians at the dealership that may get us around this problem.

Thanks in advance!
Old April 12th, 2011, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

I thought the service bulletin was for overfilled transmissions. Maybe that is different or the one they are referring to is different. I'm no tech but I would ask about this. Maybe the overfilled lube in transmissions was only for the manual cruzes. Not sure.
Old April 15th, 2011, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by terrible1one3
I thought the service bulletin was for overfilled transmissions. Maybe that is different or the one they are referring to is different. I'm no tech but I would ask about this. Maybe the overfilled lube in transmissions was only for the manual cruzes. Not sure.
Hmmm, interesting. They told me that the service bulletin applied to her car as well (which is an automatic transmission). I spoke with the service manager and he did acknowledge that there was a problem with the car. Unfortunately, he stated that sometimes these fixes could take a bit longer to get addressed. Hopefully it'll happen sooner rather than later.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Look into the vehicle lemon laws in your state.

Sounds like you might have one.
Old April 27th, 2011, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

my son has 1800 miles on his 2011 cruze, and major transmission issues.
What are the bulletins?
Where do we find them?
Old April 29th, 2011, 4:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

tomv, you would be able to get that type of information from your dealership. Hopefully they will be able to repair your vehicle. gigahurtz, have you spoken with our Customer Assistance team yet?

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 1st, 2011, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
tomv, you would be able to get that type of information from your dealership. Hopefully they will be able to repair your vehicle. gigahurtz, have you spoken with our Customer Assistance team yet?

Do you mean Chevrolet's Customer Assistance Team? If so, no I have not. The dealership told us to wait until they are able to further test the issue and hopefully another TSB is released
Old May 2nd, 2011, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

The car has 1800 miles on it. We worked the the Service manager where we purchased the car. The transmission is being replaced at no cost to us. My concern is that this may a known issue, and it is only a matter of time before the new transmission fails.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 8:44 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

gigahurtz, if the dealership was unable to fully diagnose your vehicle or unable to repair the vehicle to your satisfaction then I would suggest speaking with Customer Assistance. They can work with you and the dealership to get this issue resolved. Hopefully this will be a quick fix for the issue and you can get back to enjoying your vehicle. If you want you can send me your contact information and I can setup your case for you or you can call our line and have them do so as well. I hope this helps you.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
gigahurtz, if the dealership was unable to fully diagnose your vehicle or unable to repair the vehicle to your satisfaction then I would suggest speaking with Customer Assistance. They can work with you and the dealership to get this issue resolved. Hopefully this will be a quick fix for the issue and you can get back to enjoying your vehicle. If you want you can send me your contact information and I can setup your case for you or you can call our line and have them do so as well. I hope this helps you.

Thank you for your reply. I am looking into this for my girlfriend so I will be speaking with her and getting back to you soon. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems