Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

what is your opinion on what it could be

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2015, 5:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is your opinion on what it could be

I have a 2012 chevy cruze lt, just under 35000 miles on it, automatic, 4 door, turbo. I went to a chain oil change place. They "suggested" an oil system cleaner and proceeded to tell me what it entailed. Myself knowing little to nothing about cars, fell for it and said ok sure. Something was wrong. The tech drained my old oil. Then he poured in this "cleaner" in, and told me to turn car on and let it run for a certain amount of time. I did. About 3 to 4 min. After running, thick white smoke is blowing from my tailpipe. They told me to turn my car off, they said theyve never seen that happen before. Theyre saying blown head gasket. I being livid, had my car towed immediately to the nearest chevy dealer and i am waiting to hear back from them. Im curious to find out what some people may think it could be. Car was perfect before taking it to amateurs. I never signed any paperwork when they did this.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

the oil cleaner products I have used are meant to be added to your old oil and then run. their product may be different however.

did they do an induction cleaning? This service cleans the throttle body, intake manifold and the back of the valves. This service will blow smoke out the exhaust and that is normal. We no longer do this service to cruze's as the cleaning solution can pool in the induction system and hydrolock the engine....bending valves, con rods and wreck the turbo.

Last edited by tech2; April 3rd, 2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They didnt do any such thing. The tech drained out my old oil, then when empty, poured the cleaner in alone, told me to run my car. All the sudden tons of white smoke pouring out of exhaust filling the bay. They told me to shut car off. I did, a few minutes later, the started bogged out, and killed. I had it towed to a chevy dealership. The company should be held totally responsible for this. If those things did go wrong per se, is it going to involve rebuilding the engine?
Old April 3rd, 2015, 1:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

yes, they are responsible to fix this. that is why they have business insurance.
cannot comment on the repairs when it is not known what is damaged.

any idea of the amount of the cleaning product they put in? the car needs 4 quarts of oil for an oil change.
how long did the car run until you shut it off?