Battery died 2010 Equinox

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2014, 7:17 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi SuarezfamChevy,

We understand that you are very upset with your local Chevrolet dealership. You mentioned that you brought your vehicle in for maintenance but after the visit you are now experiencing an issue with your Equinox not starting. We do apologize that you are having this vehicle issue and would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message us if we can be of further assistance.

Jennifer T.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 27th, 2014, 9:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same batter issues

I have a 2011 Equinox with 55,00 miles. Purchased bumper to bumper warranty. Today battery went dead, dealership said it wasn't covered, so had to pay AAA $133 to replace. Laura M with Chevrolet Customer Care, you say to private message you- how is that done?
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Official GM Rep

We're very sorry to hear this about your battery, iowaequinox. To send us a private message you drill down on our name and select to send a private message. Please feel free to send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com if you are having troubles finding the private message button. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 1st, 2014, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Nothing like changing a battery!

So, I'm a Dodge guy...but since Chrysler can't paint a car black without it looking as it a 12 year old did it with a can of Krylon, I decided to dump the 2012 Challenger R/T and take over my mom's 2012 Equinox. My family has owned GM's since Harley Earl was is pre-school and they have a deep love and regard for the lineup. When mom decided that the new Enclave was her cup of tea, I took over the Equinox as an interim vehicle while I wait for a sweet deal on a new sports car. I went to take this glorious 2012 Sweet Utility Vehicle out today to a nice breakfast with my 2 boys and, much to my chagrin, the battery was stone dead. I knew that the charging system was working, but I was perplexed that a 45K mile vehicle could have a dead battery in such a short time. There were no lights left on, there were no draws on the amps, it just died.

Not a big deal, I thought. This is not normal, but it can be expected, but when I got to the dealer, since I'll only use factory equipment on a car so new, I was floored that this battery was over $200.00! After offering the parts guy a tasty meal from Chic-Fil-A, he dropped the price to under $200, but still...this is far too early in the life of this SUV to be dropping this much cash.

Coming from an automotive background, and running a fleet, I realized that this issue just doesn't sit right with me. I would think that the battery would last at least 80k on something so new, especially on something as prevalent as the Equinox. I called up the old man, who has owned over 40 Chevy's in his life, and he was just as floored as I was.

This is simply unacceptable and I'm not impressed with this turn of events. It makes me seriously second guess getting this vehicle, especially when I've exclusively owned Dodge products of the last 20 years. This first trip into the magical world of General Motors is not proving to be a good one thus far. I'm not one to second guess my cars and losing confidence in a car this young does not sit well with me. Even though I've only had this for a few weeks, I feel inclined to trade this in already.

Hopefully GM will find out why these batteries are going down so quickly and pass that on to us owners.
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

My wife has a 2010 chevy equinox (purchase brand new) with only 51000 miles. Several problems with car since purchased. This morning car would not start. No power or anything. Had to jump start car, now check engine light remains on and no power steering. Please help!!!!!!!!
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Official GM Rep

Oh no! We're very sorry to hear of your multiple concerns, robia06. We'd like to help and contact your dealership for further assistance. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name if our help is needed.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 28th, 2014, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default Sounds the same

My wife recently had a similar issue with the battery in her 2012 Equinox which we also bought new and only has 38,000 miles. She took it to our local dealership who kept the car for an hour and when they called her name letting her know her car was ready expected her to pay without even explaining what the issue was and weather they were able to correct it. When she told the sales clerk she wanted to know what was wrong before she would pay the clerk got one of the technicians who told her it had something to do with the cars memory being full. Well low and behold two days later her car is sitting in our garage and won't start.
Old December 4th, 2014, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Our 2010 Equinox with 65k miles has a battery problem also. It would not start yesterdayand had to be jumped.

Ours was an early production unit after the gov bailout and so far we have had many of the "known" problems in it. Transmission torque converter, and front axel seals at 24K, timing chain at 50K, and now high oil consumption. Dealer is doing oil use test and if consumption is excessive will do a ring job. But I don't believe that is the root of the problem. Believe high fuel pressure to be cause and rings will only mask the true culpret. Now a new battery. Not happy at all with this Equinox.

Does anyone know what the high pitched whine or buzz , which can be heard coming from Equinox on regular basis in a quiet garage. Is it a fuel pump maintaining line pressure? Is that running down the battery?

Thanks for any info!

Last edited by DaveW3; December 4th, 2014 at 8:48 AM.
Old January 28th, 2015, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 2012 Equinox battery issues

I have a 2012 Equinox that at 5300 miles car died, was told it was a 'bad' battery and replaced battery by the dealer while still under warrenty. 2 years and at 39800 miles again car died and had it towed to GM dealer. Was told once again battery was dead and was charged over $161.00 as it's out of warrenty now. I feel GM should have checked for battery drain when it went dead at 5300 miles and their battery should have had a warrenty longer than 2 years.
Old February 10th, 2015, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default same issue with 2011 equinox

Originally Posted by redtaz2000
I have a 2012 Equinox that at 5300 miles car died, was told it was a 'bad' battery and replaced battery by the dealer while still under warrenty. 2 years and at 39800 miles again car died and had it towed to GM dealer. Was told once again battery was dead and was charged over $161.00 as it's out of warrenty now. I feel GM should have checked for battery drain when it went dead at 5300 miles and their battery should have had a warrenty longer than 2 years.
Same problem. My 2011 equinox battery died. Now difficult to start and power steering light is on. Coincidence? I think not. Very frustrating and not right. I should not have to pay put of pocket for this.

Quick Reply: Battery died 2010 Equinox