Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

1st post

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2008, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st post

hi everyone one, first post here.[/align]to so you know heres my car...[/align][/align]it has a 350 crate engine with 9.8:1 compression, mild cam, stock stall converter 700r4[/align][/align]onto my problem, i can't get the pinging at part throttle to go away unless i take off and plug my vacuume advance. ive tried adjusting it so it wouldn't pull as much timing at high vacuume (low load) situations. also when i go to shut it off it wants to diesel on. since then ive retarded my initial timing to 5 degrees[/align]btdc which makes it run like a turd. so i want to find the cause of my problem since it used to run perfect. with 10initial with advance hooked up to full manifold vacuume. [/align][/align]ive though maybe spark plugs were to hot, since these are the plugs i broke the engine in on, maybe they have metal shavings on them from the rings seating, and now act like glow plugs. btw it only has about 5,000 miles on the engine. i have replaced the intake gaskets because the rear silicon was leaking oil. i used indian head sealantaround the water jackets but not around all intake ports, could that be causing a vacuume leak and making it run leak?[/align]also there is a loud lifter tick that i have yet to repair, could a colapsed lifter do this?[/align][/align]anyways any advice will be appricated.[/align]
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:04 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1st post

All that was way over my head, lol. I just wanted to say Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here! Nice car by the way!