Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

'95 Siverado 350 TBI to Carb or not ?

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2015, 1:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Siverado 350 TBI to Carb or not ?

Hello everyone , Newbie here to this forum and looking for some direction.

I currently have a '95 Silverado Stepside as my secondary/beater truck (actually in excellent shape).

It has the factory 350 5.7 TBI engine with about 275K miles on it. It's been dripping oil from the rear main and just recently the Transmission (4L60E) took a turn for the worse..in a nut shell.. I need to replace/rebuild the engine and trans. Also the rear is factory with a 3.42 gear

I believe the factory HP for this engine was about 200 and I would like to get a little more pop if possible. It's not for any street racing..just a grocery getter that'll move when I need it to.

Was think about getting the 350 crate engine w/290hp. Would the TBI and a new 4L60E trans work behind that engine or would it be to much ?

Or should I convert it all over to a carburetor set up and a 700r4 trans and conversion kit ? (emission wise I don't think the Federal laws would like it)

Or last.. just get an entire TBI and trans from a donor, which I've found for $1500..just afraid of getting someone else future problem.

Thanks in advance for advise
Attached Thumbnails '95 Siverado 350 TBI to Carb or not ?-ole-red-1.jpeg  
Old August 11th, 2015, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

If I go with the crate 290hp... any suggestions as to a new intake and/or TBI, maybe an upgraded cam ect ? I'm just not very familiar with the whole TBI thing.

Thanks
Old August 12th, 2015, 6:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 95 Stepside with a 5 speed and the sport package and I just replaced my engine with another TBI setup that I got for $650 and yes you might have issues.
The crate 290 hp engine will suffice, as far as a cam goes you have to be careful because if you get a cam with too much lift and duration then the ECM will not work correctly. Your TBI and tranny will work with the crate engine as long as the bellhousing has a metric bolt pattern instead of the old school pre 87 models.

If you have to have your truck emission tested then you also have to be careful about how much you alter it. If you don't then you can put a carb on it.

I have researched parts I will install in my engine in the future, (don't tell my ol lady tho).

Here are the listing of major parts for the carb setup:

A block with 9.5:1 pistons and then:

Summit Racing Vortec heads.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-151124
Lunati cam set 10120701LK. Flat tappet, they also have the same com in roller hydraulic.
Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam & Lifter Kit - Chevrolet Small Block 256/262 - Lunati Power
600 CFM carb, your choice I prefer Eldebrock
Intake manifold
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-226018/overview/
MSD Distributor
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8362
Stainless Mid length headers.

This setup should give you around 350 hp with decent fuel mileage. It is not a racing setup because the intake and headers peak performance is around 5000 rpm but you will have good torque and should enjoy the ride.

Also that year truck has a 2.5" exhaust at the manifold and the Y-pipe is only a 2" pipe, I highly recommend removing the restrictive Y pipe and install a 2.5" Y pipe.

Magnaflow Performance Exhaust 10768. That will help the engine breath better and you will notice a difference.

Last edited by Richardx2; August 12th, 2015 at 6:35 PM. Reason: additional info
Old August 12th, 2015, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

Richard, Great info and suggestions with the Y-pipe. What trans conversion kit are you planning to use ?
Thanks
Old August 13th, 2015, 7:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a NV3500 manual transmission. If I do any transmission it would be installing a T56 6 speed.

I have already replaced the Y pipe and have 2.5" from the engine to the 3" inlet on the muffler and I can tell a difference in the performance with the stock TBI unit.