Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Chevy 305 rebuild for a S10 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2009, 1:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy 305 rebuild for a S10 Blazer

Okay guys, so I just bought a 305 short block off a friend for 50 bucks. I want to put it into my 87 S10 Blazer but have no idea what to do when it comes to building this engine. I don't want to build this to be a huge power plant but just a good and reliable engine that doesn't think twice about moving my Blazer. I want it to have that low idle and thump when idling and perform good with a decent take off. I need to know pretty much everything i'm going to have to do to this engine to get her up and purrin'.

Thanks
'87Blazer
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '87Blazer
Okay guys, so I just bought a 305 short block off a friend for 50 bucks. I want to put it into my 87 S10 Blazer but have no idea what to do when it comes to building this engine. I don't want to build this to be a huge power plant but just a good and reliable engine that doesn't think twice about moving my Blazer. I want it to have that low idle and thump when idling and perform good with a decent take off. I need to know pretty much everything i'm going to have to do to this engine to get her up and purrin'.

Thanks
'87Blazer
Ok, first off, I hope your friends likes you after your finished, because $50 bucks for a 305 block is a steal.

First off have a magnetic fracture test or dye test done for breaks and cracks in the casing of the water jacket and the cyclinders walls. This cost you a small amount now, but saves you from blowing a block after you built the engine.

If all is good moved ahead to the following.

1. have the block heads flattened at a machine shop
2. Purchase your new Journals and bearing and have the bottom end checked and honed if needed.
3. Have all the cyclinders honed
4. Select your new heads (Jegs, or Edlebrock)
5. Select your new Cam shaft and timing setup (CompCam)
6. Select your new Crank shaft and water pump (CompCam)
7. Select your new fuel system, injected or carborated. (Edlebrook or Demon, or Holley)
8. Ingnition system (plugs, cap, rotor, distributor, and coil) MSD or Morosso

I would stop by Jegs, as a clearing house for most of the products mentioned above.

This might also be a good starting point.

http://www.hioutput.com/tech/343hp/343hp.html