Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2021, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Build

Hello, Im new here and ive been planning a small block chevy build for a road course car im going to build. The problem is im having hard time finding out what rod length, piston size/ compression height. This will be my first build so im just taking notes for when im ready to actually build. Also im not sure what size camshaft i need for road course style driving. The size engine will be 350 small block chevy, 4.125" bore, 3.750 stroke. If i can get some pointers on some possible rod brands, lengths, ratios, camshafts. My Desired HP is 550-600, desired ratio is is maybe 10.6:1 or 11:1. block height is 9.025".Cyl head at 215cc. Any tips, suggestions or pointers will help.
Old February 10th, 2022, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello there. I would recommend buying either the Chevrolet Performance connecting rods or the OEM rods unless you are supercharging the engine or using it for a high demand purpose. You can also search Jegs and Summit Racing for rods that are all kinds for a Chevy 350. If you want to get really hard core you can look for I-Beam rods. Otherwise forged rods are great and if you are looking for other manufacturers then look on those retailers' web sites. There are books you should buy for building Chevy Small Block engines. I don't have an author because I have Big Block building concerns. Here is a DVD and book combo, used, on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203822519690 It is new for $42.95 at Barnes and Noble (web site).

This looks like an excellent reference book for stock or high performance small block Chevy rebuilding or building:
Amazon Amazon

If your goal is to use pump gas, then I suggest not using a compression ratio above 10.5 to 1. That will limit your choice of camshaft. I recommend calling Tech Support at Comp Cams and talk to one of their techs about how you want to use the motor and which car it is being installed, and they will recommend the right camshaft. Getting specific recommendations from persons who are not at a shop where you live is very dangerous which is why I prefer to use tech support at Comp Cams and maybe go to my performance shop I use here and get a second opinion. Once that cam is in, you are committed because removal after the radiator and everything is put back in the car can be very time consuming. See below for their number.

CAM HELP® Tech Support: 1-800-999-0853

Best of luck to you, Mike P.
Old August 16th, 2022, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes to building a small block Chevy for road course driving, there are a few things you'll need to take into account in order to get the most out of your engine. First, you'll need to decide on the rod length and piston size/compression height that will work best for your application. Next, you'll need to choose a camshaft that is designed specifically for road course driving. And finally, you'll need to select an appropriate ratio for your desired horsepower output.