Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

hole burned in cylinder sleeve?

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2013, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hole burned in cylinder sleeve?

I'm wondering if anyone has seen something like this or might know what could have possibly caused it. I recently had my motor built by a local machinist; he was highly recommended by a friend of mine. I followed his recommendations for break-in procedure; idled for 5-10 minutes, changed the oil, drove it pretty hard, with lots of engine braking, for about 20 miles, changed the oil; changed the oil again at 300 miles and then at 1000 miles. I performed a compression test, and cylinder 3 was significantly lower than the others, about 33% lower. Wet test confirmed a problem with the rings, so I took it back to my machinist. This is what he found.

It looks like someone took a torch to it; it looks melted. Machinist claims it was an injector failure, that somehow it was possibly spraying in a stream and spark was igniting it, turning it into a flamethrower. Since the piston wasn't damaged (and because it doesn't make much sense to me) I'm looking for other possible causes. Anyway I asked around and nobody has seen anything quite like it so I thought I would ask here. This forum popped up in a Google search for engine building forums.

This is a direct injection turbocharged engine with custom high compression pistons. Fuel injectors spray at 1700 psi at WOT directly into the combustion chamber.
Attached Thumbnails hole burned in cylinder sleeve?-img_0213.jpg  
Old April 3rd, 2013, 4:28 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
I don't have a lot of exp with rebuilding or sleeving, but a general observation is that it looks more like a defect in the sleeve as the under lament appears to be untouched by the "burning" The aluminum I would think, would burn much easier then the steel sleeve...
Or there was a crack defect in the sleeve and fuel got under it and when ignited, blew the cracked portion out...
Old April 3rd, 2013, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That makes sense. Also this was bored .020 over, so the sleeves are slightly thinner; for reference they can only be bored .040 over.

Another thing: the intake manifold was bead blasted and painted; I cleaned it thoroughly but not well enough. When I removed it I saw an oily residue in the runners with beadblast media stuck in it. Could a grain of that glass cause this? I'm not seeing how, but like I said, I'm trying to find as many possible causes so I can have a solid engine when it's finished. I don't want to rebuild it a 4th time.