Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

No start

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2019, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start

Hello new person on this site . Have a head scratcher sbc 355 race motor I built about 3 years ago for a asphalt modified 13-1 compression world product heads . Never raced this car and finAlly have it ready to get on the track and we can’t get it to fire . This thing ran 4 months ago and now we can’t even get it to bump or back fire .
Checked timing and confirmed the #1 valves were closed on compression with the balancer marks .
also swapped out the dist with a different hei - no difference.
we are getting fuel, spark and compression and timing is on and it will not fire .
Been doing sbc motors for years and this has me baffled, any ideas would be appreciated

thanks
Old May 12th, 2019, 2:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You went from a distributor to hei? Reason I am asking is I've seen this issue with a cracked distributor cap. was the hei used, and running on an engine?
Old May 12th, 2019, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes this hei was on the motor when it was running 4 months ago
Old May 12th, 2019, 6:22 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Hot wire the ignition, could be the ignition switch. Jumper battery to the coil, then try to start it.