Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox Ignition Problems. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2012, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Chevy Equinox Ignition Problems. HELP!

So my father has a 2006 chevy equinox. it has been nothing but trouble... but on to the reason i need help. Recently the ignition cylinder stopped cooperating. the infamous key wont turn. i ended up beating the tumblers so it was still driveable. every so often the little black box on the side of the ignition housing would come loose. (im guessing its an immobilizer?) and the car would not crank over. i would make sure it was pressed on all the way and it would be fine. the battery ran low earlier and when i tried to start it it was too dead and didnt start. i hooked it up to some jumper cables, and now it has the same symptoms as the black box on the side not being on all the way. but i still cannot get it to start. the black box has three wires running to it, Orange with white stripe, Orange with black stripe and a yellow wire. Does anyone know what could be wrong, a solution to fix it. or anything at all? im clueless as to how to attempt to fix or bypass this.

thanks in advance.
Old October 21st, 2012, 11:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Make sure the shifter is placed firmly in park. You can also try setting the parking brake and placing the shifter in neutral. Then see if it starts. If so, the gear selector switch (also known as park/neutral safety switch or range sensor) is probably bad. This part costs about $211 +S&H from RockAuto.