Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox Blend door(air temp door)

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

get ready to replace the new door 5 years from now as the replacement doors are not updated.

it is not a safty issue as the mode (defrost) door is operational.

I agree over torquing is the causing the problem along with poor door design so don't crank the temp control to full hot or full cold.

the mode and recirc doors are the same design but never break due a common linkage that shares the stress.

unfortunatly, everyone thinks their problem should be fixed for free. If you win a class action judgment against gm for this; can you get Bill Gates to fix my broken computer?

Last edited by tech2; December 11th, 2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old December 13th, 2011, 3:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joels.blacklab
Need to replace door
What do I need to take off?

Is it a BIG job
thnx
This Job your about to take on will take alot of time and paitents, I had to fix mine 2 yrs ago and you have to remove the whole dash and the dash support in order to access your heater acuator blend door wich swithes from cold to ho, chevy said they would charge $4,500 So i said forget them and di it myself!!! If you have any questions email me @ newlook_inc@hotmail.com and put in the subject: (Accuator Blend Door) or I will not respond. Its not as bad as I thought but be prepared to have alot of tools and paitents and time!! Good Luck!
Jeremy
ASE Certified Tech
Old December 14th, 2011, 5:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ChevGuy4ever
This Job your about to take on will take alot of time and paitents, I had to fix mine 2 yrs ago and you have to remove the whole dash and the dash support in order to access your heater acuator blend door wich swithes from cold to ho, chevy said they would charge $4,500 So i said forget them and di it myself!!! If you have any questions email me @ newlook_inc@hotmail.com and put in the subject: (Accuator Blend Door) or I will not respond. Its not as bad as I thought but be prepared to have alot of tools and paitents and time!! Good Luck!
Jeremy
ASE Certified Tech
$4500...this must be a mistake? It should be no more than 8 hours labour and the only parts needed are the blend door, 2 a/c seals and some coolant. The door actuator can be re-centered and then re-installed. $1000 at the most.
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

Just found this site. Great info guys. My wife's 06 Equinox LT just developed this problem yesterday. Was working just fine that morning, then on the way home from work... no heat at all. Sounds exactly like what everyone is describing. For those who want to tackle this job themselves (as I am going to do) I found an AWESOME step-by-step write up with pics at this site:

How To Fix A No-Heat Problem In A 2006 Chevy Equinox - Removing Dashboard To Replace Air Blend Door

I hope its not a problem to post links to other sites. We do it on the Grand Prix site all the time. Just trying to help some fellow Chevy owners out.
Old January 8th, 2012, 1:15 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 4fanintexas
Just found this site. Great info guys. My wife's 06 Equinox LT just developed this problem yesterday. Was working just fine that morning, then on the way home from work... no heat at all. Sounds exactly like what everyone is describing. For those who want to tackle this job themselves (as I am going to do) I found an AWESOME step-by-step write up with pics at this site:

How To Fix A No-Heat Problem In A 2006 Chevy Equinox - Removing Dashboard To Replace Air Blend Door

I hope its not a problem to post links to other sites. We do it on the Grand Prix site all the time. Just trying to help some fellow Chevy owners out.
That is an excellent write-up. The mysterious electrical device the writer found with the 3 terminals looks like a hazard/turn signal flasher to me.

One mandatory step that is not mentioned is calibrating the HVAC actuators when you are finished. This probably would have prevented the writer's Service Engine Soon light from coming on.

To do this, start the vehicle then push the A/C and RECIRC buttons on the HVAC control module three times each, within two seconds of initial push. I believe this should work for all 2005-2009 Chevy Equinox/Pontiac Torrent.

- The A/C and RECIRC button LED's will flash while this calibration is taking place.
- The calibration will take anywhere between 10 to 30 seconds depending on battery voltage.
- The LEDs will quit flashing when the calibration is complete.

I've posted an excerpt from the FSM below.

2005-09 Equinox_Torrent_air-temp-actuator-replacement.pdf

Last edited by ruley73; January 8th, 2012 at 1:17 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default FINALLY - Chevy covers this repair!!

Just wanted all to know that Chevrolet is now covering this repair for 10 years and 120,000 miles. I just received a letter in the mail that this will be repaired free of charge at the dealer. They will also reimburse you for the repair if you paid to have it done.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

only for 2006 model years at this point in time.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

I have similar problems with my 2007,,,, ac doesn't seem cold either,,,if I run ac ,,,and select recirc ,,,seems cooler...then auto switches to fresh air...back and forth,,,and ac light goes on and off ? Could this have to do with calibration of havoc actuators? (just bought e vehicle on Friday,,,only 42000 km on it and I already took it back ....unfortunately its a Nissan dealer...so not sure they will knw why to do about It?
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah, I have 20K too many miles to have this covered under the facory recall. Local Chevy dealer's service dept. super told me too bad when I asked him about it. Damned hard to do this when we must have this vehicle working at any given time with 6 kids and 2 recent grandchildren. Bummer indeed!

Kentucky Kyle
Old October 26th, 2012, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

@kylerob70 sorry to hear that. My blend door just went out and mine has 112k just barely under the requirements. Its in the shop now getting diagnosed. If that is the problem then it will cover both diagnosis, parts and labor. You should try contacting Chevy thru the ChevroletDotCom website, and speak to a representative. They might be able to help you out. I hope someone post something on the main Thread page so others find out before spending the money since my dealer didn't tell me about any warranty/recall when I first took it there.

Quick Reply: 2006 Equinox Blend door(air temp door)