Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2008 Equinox door problems

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

did you check under the rubber loom? You know where its located, right? I've never seen one of this age not broken. How did you perform the wiring inspection?
Old November 22nd, 2013, 8:28 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
did you check under the rubber loom? You know where its located, right? I've never seen one of this age not broken. How did you perform the wiring inspection?
While the wires breaking in the door is a very common issue on these vehicles, I think it's a sure bet that there are substantially more vehicles that have not had broken wires than those that have. Ours has not had this issue (yet). I'm sure they will break at some point before. We have had it for over 5 years and intend on keeping it at least that much longer if we can.

I wonder if one of the actuators is shorting out and causing the relays for the locks to act up. There are three relays (unlock/lock/driver unlock) built into I/P fuse panel according to the diagram.

I would definitely would not rule out broken wires in one of the front door jambs.

Equinox_Door_lock_wiring_diagram.pdf
Old November 24th, 2013, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i looked at the wire maby i need to get a new harness
Old November 24th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

there are threads on here with pics of where to inspect. maybe a search would help you out. Was the wiring broken or not; you seem unsure?

Last edited by tech2; November 24th, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old May 24th, 2014, 10:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Equinox Power Door Locks

I have a 2008 equinox with the same problem. The locks work intermittently from the FOB and the button on the door doesn't work at all. It started on the drivers door and spread to the others. Post I have found indicate there are two relays, one for the front doors and one for the rear doors. I think the relays are located somewhere in the center console, but the access to them is very bad. I can hear the relays trying to actuate, but I can't access them. Do you know what the procedure is for getting at these relays to replace them. This seems to be a good way to start due to the expensive door actuators (~$140 per door(.
Old May 27th, 2014, 8:50 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by fhealy
I have a 2008 equinox with the same problem. The locks work intermittently from the FOB and the button on the door doesn't work at all. It started on the drivers door and spread to the others. Post I have found indicate there are two relays, one for the front doors and one for the rear doors. I think the relays are located somewhere in the center console, but the access to them is very bad. I can hear the relays trying to actuate, but I can't access them. Do you know what the procedure is for getting at these relays to replace them. This seems to be a good way to start due to the expensive door actuators (~$140 per door(.
The diagram I posted has the three relays labeled as "PCB" (Printed Circuit Board) relays. This means they are integral to the I/P fuse block and cannot be replaced separately. In other words, the I/P fuse block would need to be replaced if one of these relays were bad. The I/P fuse block is actually fairly inexpensive (~$120) and not too hard replace. Obviously, I'd rather be able to replace a $10 relay.

You could disconnect each door lock actuator and temporarily run power & ground directly to them to test them. Be sure to also reverse the polarity of your power & ground connections to make sure they work both ways (lock/unlock).

You should first and foremost inspect the wiring in both front door jambs if you haven't done so already.

Last edited by ruley73; May 27th, 2014 at 9:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Amanda King (April 23rd, 2021)
Old July 18th, 2014, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door locks

I too am having the same problem with my door locks. They used to lock when I shifted into drive no more. None of them even move. Manufacturer issue??? How can I fix?
Old July 18th, 2014, 4:58 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cat13woman
I too am having the same problem with my door locks. They used to lock when I shifted into drive no more. None of them even move. Manufacturer issue??? How can I fix?
Just to clarify, is this for your 2008 Equinox, cat13woman? If so, did you check to make sure the Auto Lock feature settings weren't changed? You can check this in the DIC display. Press the set/reset button to access the settings and make sure it's set to OUT OF PARK (default). If this doesn't help, you may need to touch base with your dealership. Keep us posted.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 23rd, 2015, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Both passenger locks won't work

Both of the passenger side doors have gotten to where they will only lock & unlock manually. Occasionally in the winter time they MAY work, but usually only half way. I believe this is a manufacturer defect because I have seen dozens of the same complaints. I'm sure it's the actuators, but they are expensive to repair. I worry about them not locking when I put the car in drive because stopping at red lights can be dangerous. I'm afraid someone will walk up & get in the car, because the doors won't lock. Please offer some kind of assistance with this repair....as SO many people have the same issue.
Old April 24th, 2015, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default Annoyed as well

Originally Posted by mdfarris420
Both of the passenger side doors have gotten to where they will only lock & unlock manually. Occasionally in the winter time they MAY work, but usually only half way. I believe this is a manufacturer defect because I have seen dozens of the same complaints. I'm sure it's the actuators, but they are expensive to repair. I worry about them not locking when I put the car in drive because stopping at red lights can be dangerous. I'm afraid someone will walk up & get in the car, because the doors won't lock. Please offer some kind of assistance with this repair....as SO many people have the same issue.
I wish a representative would reach out about this as well. My drivers side door works (unless it's too hot) and all others won't lock/unlock. They halfway unlock - I have to manually lock/unlock. Now when i turn the car off and open the drivers door the radio won't turn off and I have to open another door because something in the drivers door broke. Horrible wiring/electrical issues with this car. I've had nothing but problems since I bought it in 2012. (it's an 08) Never buying chevy again.

Quick Reply: 2008 Equinox door problems