Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2013, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just an update

I thought I would just add an update explaining my experience with my 2010 Equinox. I also had several of the problems mentioned in this forum including rattling engine noises that I could hear only with the windows down and usually somewhere when the noise would reflect off of something then finally to the point where I could hear them with the windows up and the radio on! Also another noise that sounded like an exhaust leak when idling that also continually got louder. The noises started around 10K miles. When I asked about them I got the same answer as most others got, these cars make some noise. Well, until it got loud enough that other people started making comments about it I accepted the dealer explaination as lame as it was. Finally, I could no longer trust a car that makes that much noise and I insisted they fix it or I was going to let it go back to GM. That would have really hurt my credit but I was not going to continue to pay for a car that I could not trust.

Once the mechanic heard it he immediately new something was wrong and by this time the check engine light was coming on regularly (explained before as 'normal' probably the gas cap) and he was able to read the code. I don't know the code number but I was told that it was running 'rich'. After further inspection he found the valves (intake) burnt and the high pressure fuel pump was bad. So bad that it was causing fuel to get into the oil system which thinned out the oil which probably cause all the other problems. They are now replacing the entire engine or at least that was the last word I got. I have been complaining about the noises for 2 years.

I am not happy with this car at all. I bought it new and before it was 2 years old the steering wheel is coming apart. The cheap plastic covering over the foam is just disintegrating. Sat down in it one day and the lumbar support broke and now doesn't work. Of course I had more than 36K miles on it so those things aren't covered. Those items really don't have anything to do with mileage and should be covered for 3 years regardless.

I do not abuse my cars in hopes that they will last at least until it's paid for! I used to buy only GM (Chevy) and switched to Chrysler just because I liked some of their styles. went back to GM for this car because I had a couple of bad cars from Chrysler. My first experience back with GM has not been good so far. Next year I was going to buy a new Camaro but now I am seriously reconsidering that...
Old January 14th, 2013, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default The rattle is back

I posted in July 2012 of the issues described here with my 2010 Equinox. It is now 10,000 miles later and the rattling sound is back.

And after reading other posts about excessive oil consumption, I have also now discovered my Equinox is "losing" oil.

The car will now be going to another dealer to address the problems described.

In 36 years, I have owned 15 vehicles. Except for my very first vehicle, a 1972 Chevy Vega, not one other vehicle has ever suffered low oil through burning, leaking or any other means.

This is frustrating, to say the least.
Old January 15th, 2013, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

I still get the email notifications when someone responds to this thread so I will add my 2 cents again.

If you are not upside down on payment you must trade this pile of junk in. Even if you are $2,000 upside down, take it to the Honda dealer and trade it for a CR-V. They will give you internet pricing which is normally well below sticker price and you might end up only being about $500 upside down after that.

So far we are happy with our 2013 CR-V, although the true test of course is how it holds up over time.

My heart aches for all of you struggling with GM and the Chevy dealers that flatout lie to their customers. You know for sure if your car wasn't under warranty they'd be telling you that you need a $3,000 repair to get things right. I still want to know who's responsible for making sure all Chevy dealers tell customers that these problems are NORMAL. This is the root of the problem.

Nobody having issues should ever buy GM again. I sure know I'm not.

Best luck to everyone, but I am telling you that you need to try to trade this vehicle in because it will cause you misery for years until you do.
Old January 26th, 2013, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default last post here

After getting nowhere with another Chevrolet dealer with my Equinox "losing" oil, I am finally fed up.

I traded in the Equinox today and purchased a 2013 Honda CR-V.

I wish everyone well with the Equinox. I hope you don't experience the same problems I did.
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default Engine Rattle and a new issue

I also have been victim of the engine noise, rattle, whatever you choose to call it. Had it since day one(vehicle was new). Have turned in multiple times to dealer, most often comment is that is just that engine. Once they put a piece of insulation to control the vibration in the engine compartment. That helped for a short time then back to normal. My newest issue is I started my vehicle yesterday to experience a violent vibration, the vehicle wanting to stall out, engine light came on briefly and the "SERVICE STABILI TRAK" came on. I tried putting in Neutral and driving, after 10 minutes it seemed to come out of it. This is the second time this has happened with the engine wanting to stall. First time it did stall.
I have had numerous problems with this 2010 Equinox, including injectors, modules, fuel pump, etc. Now there is no warranty and while I can't afford to trade it, I can't afford to keep it if its a big issue, and it isn't very old! Sounds like it is a continuing issue for many people and many concerns. Anyone care to offer suggestions?
Old March 5th, 2013, 1:35 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 82shop,

I’m sorry you are experiencing these issues with your vehicle. Has the vehicle been diagnoses for this most recent condition?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 11th, 2013, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update

Hello all,

I just wanted to add my voice to the fray as ANOTHER person who is driving a 2010 2.4L AWD Equinox. My experience has not been good either. I bought it new in 2010 and it never really sounded right from day one, but my real problems started almost a year ago now with my car 'running rough' as many people had been talking about here. A few oil changes started looked really dirty- too black for as frequently as I change my oil and how far I had been driving. When my Engine Light came on, I took it to the dealer and they discovered that there was gas in my oil. I had been driving around on a time bomb.... nice. I had a mechanic friend look for any information about Equinoxs having problems for me and he found the bullentin about the fuel pump failure. I approached the dealer with this information and they replaced my fuel pump under warranty. As I drove it home it still didn't sound quite right, but I checked the oil frequently after that and no gas smell, so I thought maybe I was in the clear.

For a month or so it drove ok. Then it started the rough idoling again. I took it back to the dealer. It was 'losing' oil and no one knew where it went. The treatment was also very different this time. They were very condescending and told me it was my fault because I had an after market air filter in my car. I am not a mechanic but I knew they were full of crap on that one, but I realize (GM) dealers sometimes throws little fits like this if you continue to bring cars in for repeated work that will probably be warrantied out. So I let them bill me for another oil change and for cleaning the air intake sensor (which was a crock of s**) hoping that they would just help me if I played this little game. We started an official oil consumption test and I went on my way. Just under 1,000 miles later and my engine light came back on. I took it back to the dealer AGAIN. It was the same code as before when my fuel pump went bad: Engine running rich p0172. They checked the oil and I was two quarts low. After telling the dealer I was getting frustrated and very concerned that very real damage was occuring to my car I was told 'cars break' and to 'stop being emotional'. Wow. Really? I realize I am a 30 year old woman but don't take me for an idiot. I grew up in a family of engineers and my father has been a supplier for GM for most of my life. I know when a dealer/mechanic thinks they can walk over me because I am a girl. I took my keys and walked out. Irregardless of who you are that was appalling CS. I am new to the area that I live in so I got another oil change and started researching somewhere else to take my car. Then... Last week I tried to leave work and my Equinox would hardly start. It was shaking violently and stalling. A message came 'reduced engine power' as well as 'service stabilitrack'. I had to drive home on the highway at 30mph. Frustrated hardly covers it....

The next morning I dropped it off at a dealer 30 miles away (stalling twice on the way). They are treating me soooo much better already. Well worth the drive. However, same old story with the Equinox. Three and a half quarts of oil missing despite the fact I have only driven barely 3,000 miles since my last oil change. Four codes were thrown, although I forgot to ask what they were. The informed me there is an open recall on the oil sensor. Lovely. They are changing my oil AGAIN, have started me on an oil consumption test AGAIN and are keeping it for the weekend. The ongoing saga is wearing me down. I will update the group as to how its going later this week. They should be getting back to me soon. I hope the news will be better than I think it will be......

On a personal note. My family is originally from Michigan and has been a GM family for generations now. It is hard to get passed the fact that so many families like mine continue to put our faith and our money down on American cars in an effort to do our part to keep our local industries alive. I know neither myself or my family or probably many who have posted here want something for nothing- However- we deserve to have our faith repaid in kind. Why should we keep believing and supporting a company that hangs hard - working people out to dry? It's very frustrating.

UPDATE: as of 4/25/2014 nothing has gotten better on the equinox. The second dealer described above that seemed to be doing better fixed a the timing chains guides and the fuel pump, reprogrammed the oil life moniter and ordered new pistons for my motor which was severely damaged from the constant loss of oil. They completed the warranty work free if charge, but charged me for the oil change AGAIN. I have paid for five full synthetic oil changes now before they were due because of defects in the car. Why is this my problem? If the car wasn't burning it, then I would be fine. Additionally- and I shouldn't even have been surprised- but they also gave me my car back with NO GAS in it. I mean it was below the red empty line and the light was on. I took it to a dealer 30 min away to avoid having another terrible experience at the dealer buy my home and they didn't even leave me enough gas to go down the block, let alone get home safely. I was so eager to get out of there I didn't even notice till I had reached the next stop light. At that point I pulled in and filled up at the next gas station fearing I wouldn't even make it back to the dealership. I gave them the car with 3/4 of a tank too. Ridiculous! That has not been the last if it either. Frustrated a few months later when my car sounded like crap AGAIN, I took it all the way to Michigan and left it there during one visit to my parents. They took it to the dealer there and the replaced my AC compressor for 850.00. They went to test drive the car to see if all issues had been fixed, but my timing chain was making too much noise for them fully hear if the other issues had been resolved, so they replaced that as well. AGAIN. Also when they went to put the new chains in, they noticed a strong fuel smell in the crankshaft case. AGAIN. So they also replaced my fuel pump. AGAIN. So that is two replacement timing chains and three replacement fuel pumps for those of you keeping score. Plus the fuel smell in my oil again after all of the work! It has made it official. I'm out. I'm never buying GM anything again. They have reached a new low and I'm done with it. I test drove fords last week. Would live to stay with American made, but am very tempted with Honda and Toyota now. I need a break from all this insanity. So- goodbye GM. Good riddance to you.

Last edited by smm120; April 25th, 2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: adding information
Old March 11th, 2013, 7:07 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by smm120
Hello all,

I just wanted to add my voice to the fray as ANOTHER person who is driving a 2010 2.4L AWD Equinox. My experience has not been good either. I bought it new in 2010 and it never really sounded right from day one, but my real problems started almost a year ago now with my car 'running rough' as many people had been talking about here. A few oil changes started looked really dirty- too black for as frequently as I change my oil and how far I had been driving. When my Engine Light came on, I took it to the dealer and they discovered that there was gas in my oil. I had been driving around on a time bomb.... nice. I had a mechanic friend look for any information about Equinoxs having problems for me and he found the bullentin about the fuel pump failure. I approached the dealer with this information and they replaced my fuel pump under warranty. As I drove it home it still didn't sound quite right, but I checked the oil frequently after that and no gas smell, so I thought maybe I was in the clear.

For a month or so it drove ok. Then it started the rough idoling again. I took it back to the dealer. It was 'losing' oil and no one knew where it went. The treatment was also very different this time. They were very condescending and told me it was my fault because I had an after market air filter in my car. I am not a mechanic but I knew they were full of crap on that one, but I realize (GM) dealers sometimes throws little fits like this if you continue to bring cars in for repeated work that will probably be warrantied out. So I let them bill me for another oil change and for cleaning the air intake sensor (which was a crock of s**) hoping that they would just help me if I played this little game. We started an official oil consumption test and I went on my way. Just under 1,000 miles later and my engine light came back on. I took it back to the dealer AGAIN. It was the same code as before when my fuel pump went bad: Engine running rich p0172. They checked the oil and I was two quarts low. After telling the dealer I was getting frustrated and very concerned that very real damage was occuring to my car I was told 'cars break' and to 'stop being emotional'. Wow. Really? I realize I am a 30 year old woman but don't take me for an idiot. I grew up in a family of engineers and my father has been a supplier for GM for most of my life. I know when a dealer/mechanic thinks they can walk over me because I am a girl. I took my keys and walked out. Irregardless of who you are that was appalling CS. I am new to the area that I live in so I got another oil change and started researching somewhere else to take my car. Then... Last week I tried to leave work and my Equinox would hardly start. It was shaking violently and stalling. A message came 'reduced engine power' as well as 'service stabilitrack'. I had to drive home on the highway at 30mph. Frustrated hardly covers it....

The next morning I dropped it off at a dealer 30 miles away (stalling twice on the way). They are treating me soooo much better already. Well worth the drive. However, same old story with the Equinox. Three and a half quarts of oil missing despite the fact I have only driven barely 3,000 miles since my last oil change. Four codes were thrown, although I forgot to ask what they were. The informed me there is an open recall on the oil sensor. Lovely. They are changing my oil AGAIN, have started me on an oil consumption test AGAIN and are keeping it for the weekend. The ongoing saga is wearing me down. I will update the group as to how its going later this week. They should be getting back to me soon. I hope the news will be better than I think it will be......

On a personal note. My family is originally from Michigan and has been a GM family for generations now. It is hard to get passed the fact that so many families like mine continue to put our faith and our money down on American cars in an effort to do our part to keep our local industries alive. I know neither myself or my family or probably many who have posted here want something for nothing- However- we deserve to have our faith repaid in kind. Why should we keep believing and supporting a company that hangs hard - working people out to dry? It's very frustrating.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> smm120,

I’m sorry to hear of your experience with your Equinox vehicle and the previous dealership. Please keep us posted of the results of your new dealership’s consumption test.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 19th, 2013, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Solution

So was there a solution to the rattling noise? A recall? Anything?
Old March 20th, 2013, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default at least the rattle stopped for now

Well they finally replaced my long block due to the losing oil but had no clue where it was going. I would seriously sell this thing but no one will buy it not even the Chevy dealer, wonder why. I will not buy another Chevy/GM product they lost me as a customer, and oh they have a 12 month 12k mile warranty on the long block. Good luck with your equinox.

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay