Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2013 euqniox questions

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2021, 12:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 euqniox questions

my girl has the 2013 equinox 2.4 auto awd seems she has developed the timing chain noise issue. and it seems i get the job. well she said it also uses oil and form some research it looks like the oil rings. but could it be the valve stem seals?
also is it possible to just reuse the cam sprocket bolts? i have reused torque to yeal head bolts over with no issues so i'm asking if guys hear have just reused them. the kits i see on ebay have everything but no bolts. and not even the chain guide bolt that the your tubes say gets worn out after that guide breaks and the chain slaps it for years.

the repair looks easy enough for me to do but just asking about those bolts so when i order a kit i know if i have to get the bolts seperate. i see the engine rebuild kit on ebay is like 600$ so if the oil use is not the valve stem seals and in the oil rings i may just pop the head and do a rebuild. if the cylinders are not to worn i will just remove the ridge and pop in new pistons rings and check the crank for wear and pop in bearings.

thanks
Old October 12th, 2021, 9:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok i got the car here and pulled the code! they took it to a mechanic and all he did was listen to it start and run a bit and told them new timing chain and parts, 2100$ to pull the engine and fix it.

i pulled p0011 out of it and it still had a good im readyness in it so they maus not have cleared the codes so all it had was p0011 so tomorrow i will unplug the intake vvt solenoid and run the engine as i plug it in and off to listen to see if the can get noisy and then quite, i found that test from wells website. from what i have gleaned online if the timing chain and parts were bad or broken i would be seeing a lot more codes and some for correlation of the cam to the crank, telling me the chain is loose enough to thro about 5 or 6 crank and cam codes.

so after i do that test i will take out the solenoid and see if the center ports is clean or plugged. and that may tell me if it is the reason it rattles for about 2 3 seconds as the engine starts cold.

i think i will just fix that code first and then have then drive it and see if anymore codes show up.

so what do you all think about this code making it rattle for those few seconds. i think the shop looked at the mileage and that short duration noise and assumed it was the timing parts.

at the worse i could remove the valve cover and look down in the timing chain area for broken parts. the black one is the most common one to break. but if i replace the solenoids and give it a go and see how they like it that may be the problem all along. wells said that p0011 and p0012 was the most common looked up codes for the 2.4 ecotec engine.

so can i see broken parts by just taking the valve cover off

thanks