Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

abs and tc light

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2013, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs and tc light

i have a 2001 equinox lt my abs and traction lights came on and had braking issues, i changed the brakes, rotors, hub assembly, which contained the wheel bearings, and abs censor, i also changed the knuckle, struts and sway bar support, the brakes work fine now and the lights went out for a day and have returned does anyone have an idea of what i could check change next or should i just destroy the vehicle because im at my wits end
Old March 28th, 2013, 9:43 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by wrighttroy99
i have a 2001 equinox lt my abs and traction lights came on and had braking issues, i changed the brakes, rotors, hub assembly, which contained the wheel bearings, and abs censor, i also changed the knuckle, struts and sway bar support, the brakes work fine now and the lights went out for a day and have returned does anyone have an idea of what i could check change next or should i just destroy the vehicle because im at my wits end
What year is it? Obviously 2001 is incorrect.
Old April 14th, 2013, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up ABS and TC lights on and correction

After reading all the threads and getting some idea where and what to look for, I went back to recheck everything that I did to correct the problem. Naturally this is after getting the codes and probable problems which said I had a right front sensor bad. I bought a sensor (hub assembly) and replaced it, did not see any other problems with wiring, still had a light on did not fix the problem.

Started over this AM. Started checking wiring, started at the hub assembly and working back up inside by the frame and up to the fire wall. BINGO found the wire eaten into (green) by mice. We live on a farm in the country and always have this problem with equipment, plug wires wiring etc.

Pulled the wiring out from the wheel up to the fire wall to get to the wire to solder in a new section as this was a part of the car harness not the short section you can buy. Repaired the wire with ROSIN core solder, (NEVER USE ACID CORE ON VEHICLE) covered the repair with heat shrink and re taped the wiring repair to insure no moisture intrusion.

Put it all back together and NO LIGHT everything worked as designed.

IF YOU HAVE A ABS LIGHT ON ALL THE TIME YOU HAVE A BAD HUB OR A BREAK IN THE WIRING SOMEWHERE GET THE CODES SO YOU HAVE A STARTING POINT TO START LOOKING FOR THE PROBLEM. IF THE LIGHT COMES ON AND GOES OFF YOU HAVE AN INTERMITTENT WIRING PROBLEM MAKING AND BREAKING CONTACT.

IT'S NOT LIKELY THAT A HUB WILL DO THIS IT WILL BE GOOD OR BAD. LOOK FOR WIRING PROBLEMS FIRST.

For your reference I'm a certified technician, retired factory rep and Zone Service Manager, won't say what Division that I worked for but it was GM..

Wish you luck with your repairs, they are not impossible, but aggravating. I'm to old for this stuff.. Have fun and a good day.. Hope this helps someone.. My car is a 2006 Equinox

Last edited by mangleweld; April 14th, 2013 at 2:38 PM.
Old April 14th, 2013, 5:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

agreed....as long as the wiring damage isn't located in an area that it must bend or flex...like the control arm. Angel hair wiring is used in this area; specially designed wiring that can withstand constant movement. Splicing or soldering in this area is a temporary fix and will eventually fail. Repair harness kits are available from the dealer for this.