Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

equinox transmission trouble

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2014, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default equinox transmission trouble

Hi. I have a 07 equinox and when I drive it for like an hour the transmission seems to heat up and spits tranny fluid out the vent. And it'll stop working. Is there something wrong with my transmission or radiator? One guy said transmission other said a cooling problem. It's awd and I think transmission is af33. Something like that.
Old August 1st, 2014, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah I had fluid changed a few weeks ago and it has about 110 k miles. No engine light. Ty
Old August 2nd, 2014, 8:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this just started after the fluid change, I'd guess they put too much xmission fluid in (over filled) or used the wrong fluid. If they also flushed it, maybe gunk was loosened up and plugged the filter.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 2:38 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Where was the fluid changed? If it was anywhere other than a Chevy dealership I would be suspect of the work and what fluid was used. The Aisin AF33 uses Toyota T-IV fluid; not the Dexron-III or Dexron-VI fluid that most other GM vehicles use. There is no way to tell the fluids apart visually because they are all dyed red.

There is a yellow dipstick on the top of the transmission to check the fluid level. The catch is that it is very hard to access and it is held in place with a 12mm hex head bolt.

Also FYI there is no specified procedure to flush this transmission. A complete fluid exchange is possible, but not a flush. Unless you specifically told them to do a complete fluid exchange, they probably just did a drain & replenish (filter is not serviceable) which exchanges less than half of the transmission's fluid.

Unless you are towing a lot, I doubt cooling is an issue.