Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

How do install an auxiliary temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2023, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do install an auxiliary temperature gauge

2007 Equinox
My temp gauge is not working and I was going to just put in my own mechanical Temp gauge. Where do I put the Probe from the gauge, does it go in a port in the head, between a hose or where??

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; November 19th, 2023 at 5:25 PM.
Old November 19th, 2023, 5:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

You don't want to remove the factory sensor because the engine won't work properly. So you would have to fashion some sort of hose adapter I guess. A piece of pipe to act as a coupler, with a hole drilled in it for your probe maybe. Sounds like a leak waiting to happen though. Maybe just cable tie it to a part of the water pump or thermostat. It won't be super accurate, but better than nothing.

🤷‍♂️

are you sure it's the gauge that's not working?
Old November 19th, 2023, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
You don't want to remove the factory sensor because the engine won't work properly. So you would have to fashion some sort of hose adapter I guess. A piece of pipe to act as a coupler, with a hole drilled in it for your probe maybe. Sounds like a leak waiting to happen though. Maybe just cable tie it to a part of the water pump or thermostat. It won't be super accurate, but better than nothing.

🤷‍♂️

are you sure it's the gauge that's not working?
They actually make Temp gauges that go between the radiator hose. I just didn't know if it would be more accurate in a port somewhere.
Yes the gauge is not working it goes all the way around and sits on pegged. You can cycle key and get it back around but it does same thing. I've already changed out the coolant temp sensor and that didn't fix it.
​​​​​
Old November 19th, 2023, 6:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by BSUD
They actually make Temp gauges that go between the radiator hose. I just didn't know if it would be more accurate in a port somewhere.
Maybe a product exists that fits where the block heater would go, but that's probably a huge job as they're not easy to get to.
No other ports I'm aware of.

Originally Posted by BSUD
I've already changed out the coolant temp sensor and that didn't fix it.​​​​​
I would check with a scan tool to make that at least the ECM is getting a good temperature reading.

Old November 20th, 2023, 7:46 AM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

It is possible that the stepper motor for the temp gauge is bad. There was a problem with them around that time period.
Old November 20th, 2023, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
It is possible that the stepper motor for the temp gauge is bad. There was a problem with them around that time period.
Yeah and that's reason I'm thinking of a Mechanical temp gauge. It would be cheaper than having the cluster gauge rebuilt.