Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

leaking fuel problems, smell and drips

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2013, 1:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish i could get a recall, or free repair of this, but i wanted to mention my fix was successful. i took a 3/8 drill, then drill and tapped the fuel assembly. i threaded a brass barbule into their, and hose clamped on a fuel line, better than new. the only prbolem is i didnt want to spend the 400+ dollars on the fuel pump, so that baby is still in there post 210k miles on it. ill see if i can scrape up some images for this.
Old October 31st, 2013, 1:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Name:  c8w4bse.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  47.9 KB

the crack was actually in a piece that was a LAME STUPID plastic insert that simply was pressed and maybe glued? into the assembly itself. it was the culprit for spraying the fuel. It was cracked from road vibrations where the fuel line was clamped on to it. it was half embedded into the assembly and half stickng out to accept the fuel line. it cracked along the point which it was meeting the assembly.

i yanked this piece off which it just immediately broke off. i was actually trying to extract it, but i didnt realize it was cracked until it broke. it was just a hairline. Then i grabbed the remainder of what i could from inside the hole with a pair of needle nose, then when i couldnt get the rest out (i presume this was the only part that was actually glued) i went ahead with the hairy job of trying to keep a drillbit straight into the hole. The drillbit to my dismay immediately got sucked into the hole, but as soon as it did this piece you see next to the screwdriver came flying out, and i thought my job was done(in a bad way). i was happy to see that after i ran a tap in the hole it went in clean and there was no tears on the mallable plastic housing. i got a clean new thread in there.

Note, I heated the fuel line piece carefully before slipping it over the barb, maybe even with a hair dryer, cant remember, but i think i actually used a blow torch. FUEL was NO WHERE NEAR< BE CAREFUL DOING THIS!!! i put a metal hose clamp on there and didnt overtighten it too tight so as not to cut into the plastic line, nor twist something else off the FRAGILE CHEAP *** ASSEMBLY.

the brass piece you see i had to do alot of calling and running around for. i actually was looking for something a tad bigger, (cant remember the exact size but its the next size down from the drill bit i used. i believe i used a 3/8 drilbit, and was looking for a 5/16th thread. i wish i had written down the drillbit and thread size, but it was a mainstream size drillbit, so was either a 3/8th or 5/16th. im pretty darn sure it was a 3/8th but if you need to do it on yours you will be able to tell by placing the smallest bit in the hole that will work to clean it out enough to take threads.

i only carefully threaded the brass fitting in there with "fuel-resistant" thread tape, it went in there snugly and snugged right up just before running out of threads. PERFECT ENDING!!!!!!!!

I knew it was all downhill from there.

The real BITCH was getting the friggen tank lines disconnected, and tank down.

good luck to anyone that wants to do this, it is possible with mechanic experience, common sense, and a good dose of patience and set of tools.

Last edited by wolfdogg; October 31st, 2013 at 1:49 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Letter?

Originally Posted by ruley73
I just took our 2007 Equinox to the dealership to address this same issue. While our vehicle is not covered in the recall below, a few weeks ago we received a letter from GM saying our vehicle would receive special coverage if it exhibits this same problem. Sure enough it started smelling like gas and a small amount of fuel was dripping on the driveway. They replaced the entire fuel sending unit with a new one free of charge. The special coverage will also provide reimbursement for this repair if you've already paid to have it fixed.

Recall ID # 94154 - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE; DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP

Recall Date:
SEP 19, 2012

Model Affected:
2007 Chevrolet Equinox

Summary:
General Motors (GM) is recalling certain model year 2007 Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent vehicles originally sold or currently registered in Arizona, California, Nevada, and Texas; model year 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G5, and Saturn ION vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in, Arizona, California, Florida, Nevada, or Texas; model year 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in, Arizona; and model year 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 vehicles originally sold, or currently registered in, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Nevada, Oklahoma, or Texas. Some of these vehicles have a condition in which the plastic supply or return port on the fuel pump module may crack, which could cause a fuel leak.
Consequences:
Fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire.
Remedy:
GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel pump module, free of charge. Notification to owners began on on November 21, 2012. Owners were instructed to not bring their vehicles in for repair until January 2013. Owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-521-7300.
Potential Units Affected:
Notes:
General Motors LLC

Read more: 2007 Chevrolet Equinox Recalls & Problems - Motor Trend Magazine

Did Chevy send the letter to you or did you reach out to them in order to check on the recall and then they sent the letter?
Old July 23rd, 2015, 9:57 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdh2378
Did Chevy send the letter to you or did you reach out to them in order to check on the recall and then they sent the letter?
Coincidentally, they sent me the letter first and the problem surfaced on our 2007 Equinox about a month later. I would contact your local Chevy dealership if you are having this issue - even if you haven't received this letter. If you recently purchased your vehicle used there's a good chance you may not ever receive that letter. I didn't need to show the letter to them, I just described the problem, mentioned the letter, and it was promptly fixed, no questions asked.

Last edited by ruley73; July 23rd, 2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old July 24th, 2015, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default thanks

Coincidentally, they sent me the letter first and the problem surfaced on our 2007 Equinox about a month later. I would contact your local Chevy dealership if you are having this issue - even if you haven't received this letter. If you recently purchased your vehicle used there's a good chance you may not ever receive that letter. I didn't need to show the letter to them, I just described the problem, mentioned the letter, and it was promptly fixed, no questions asked.
I found the bulletin, 12191 and had my friend who works at the dealership check it out. He said it sounds like I might be covered, but obviously they won't know until they get it on the lift and drop the tank.... hoping upon hope it's covered for the special coverage

file:///I:/Documents/RDH%20Temp/RCMN-12V459-5432.pdf
Old August 2nd, 2015, 5:33 PM
CF Junior Member

got mine fixed in a recall about 3 months ago. yay! I thnk maybe it might not be as good as my fix, however i made sure they replaced the fuel pupm, so for that reason alone i wanted done! Man those are some awesome pics i took, and some awesome work i did. (patting myself on the back, lol) :-)

i thnik they had sent me the letter on their own.

Last edited by wolfdogg; August 2nd, 2015 at 5:36 PM.
Old August 17th, 2015, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

How can I know? if is the tank or a line?
Old August 17th, 2015, 3:47 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi Guitz
How can I know? if is the tank or a line?
There is no way to tell without dropping the tank for a visual inspection. However, if you have a 2007 Equinox and it smells like gas, it is most likely the broken line that the Special Coverage campaign addresses.
Old August 18th, 2015, 11:52 PM
CF Junior Member

There is no way to tell without dropping the tank for a visual inspection. However, if you have a 2007 Equinox and it smells like gas, it is most likely the broken line that the Special Coverage campaign addresses.
i feel EXACTLY the same way! most likely! They made a bad decision on that fuel assembly. Word to the wise, if it looks like the one in my pics, dont buy it..

Extruded fuel lines, BLAH CHEVY!!
Old February 29th, 2016, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

We had the same problem on our 07 Equinox. It was the fuel sending unit that was leaking. It would smell like gas and when I had the rear passenger tire changed, the mechanic saw where it had been leaking. Said he thought it was coming from the top of the tank. I researched forums online and found out it was under recall. Took it to dealer and they fixed it free of charge. No problems since!

Quick Reply: leaking fuel problems, smell and drips