Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Are there Engine Issues with 2011 0r 2012 4 cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2012, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there Engine Issues with 2011 0r 2012 4 cylinders?

I have read various threads about 4 cyl engine noise in 2010 engines. Mayber earlier models also. Along with oil consumption issues. Has this issue been resolved with the 2011 or 2012 models? I am looking to buy a AWD 2011 or 2012 4 cyl Equinox but I am getting a little nervious after reading these threads.
Thanks in advance.
Old July 15th, 2014, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Equinox - very high oil consumption

I have a 2012 Equinox and am seriously disappointed with this new car purchase. I am currently under an oil consumption test because my car has completely run out of oil TWICE between normal oil changes with no warning lights or sensors warning of the low oil. So far, the consumption test is proving that my car is using more than one quart of oil every 1,000 miles.

I regulary change my oil every 3,000 miles and use the expensive synthetic type oil. I began having these issues after my car hit the 20,000 mile mark. There is no evidence of oil leaking, as I park it in the same place in my drive way every night.

I am doubtful that anything will become of this test through the dealership but am giving it a chance before contacting the attorney that I received a letter from representing other Equinox owners with similar issues.

I am very curious if anyone has gotten resolution through these consumption tests?

Last edited by 2012 Lemon?; July 15th, 2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: add
Old July 15th, 2014, 1:17 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi there,

We trust that your dealership will do everything within their power to help resolve your oil consumption concerns. We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and we recognize your dissatisfaction with the current performance of your vehicle. Please keep us posted on the outcome and if you would like for us to reach out to your dealership, we would be happy to offer additional assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by 2012 Lemon?
I have a 2012 Equinox and am seriously disappointed with this new car purchase. I am currently under an oil consumption test because my car has completely run out of oil TWICE between normal oil changes with no warning lights or sensors warning of the low oil. So far, the consumption test is proving that my car is using more than one quart of oil every 1,000 miles.

I regulary change my oil every 3,000 miles and use the expensive synthetic type oil. I began having these issues after my car hit the 20,000 mile mark. There is no evidence of oil leaking, as I park it in the same place in my drive way every night.

I am doubtful that anything will become of this test through the dealership but am giving it a chance before contacting the attorney that I received a letter from representing other Equinox owners with similar issues.

I am very curious if anyone has gotten resolution through these consumption tests?
Old July 30th, 2014, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, I had the same problem. My local dealer was extremely helpful in getting my pistons, rings and seals all replaced. It stopped the one quart loss every thousand miles cold.

GM has a **** motor on their hands and apparently if you know how to talk to your service guys about the tons of other owners having this issue..you should get a fix.
Old January 31st, 2015, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2011 Equinox with 102000 miles. I was informed there are some problems with the timing chain and when I explain that to my dealership they told me there isn't a recall or special notice about the situation. I need help with this situation and since my vehicle is already over 102K. Also my backup camaera just stop working today.
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012 Lemon?

If your motor has completely run out of oil, it would probably seize pretty quickly.
Old February 1st, 2015, 7:33 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
If your motor has completely run out of oil, it would probably seize pretty quickly.
I agree. There's no way it was completely empty. The engine would have seizeed up within seconds. It only takes 1.5 qt low to not show on the dipstick. All the 2.2L & 2.4L Ecotec engines hold five quarts of oil regardless of whether or not the filter is changed.

I'd check the oil level before you leave the shop next time just to make sure they're putting enough oil in it when they change it.
Old March 1st, 2015, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default engine design

I'm just a joe average guy that likes to do things for himself. The oil filter location for this car is just insanely bad. If I had known this prior to buying the car, I may have not bought it. WE as individuals have to start standing up to this type of poor design. I just spent the better part of an hour changing the oil filter - changing the oil was standard. I would really like to meet the engine designer right now, just to give him a piece of my mind.
Old March 1st, 2015, 3:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by tiffsdad
I'm just a joe average guy that likes to do things for himself. The oil filter location for this car is just insanely bad. If I had known this prior to buying the car, I may have not bought it. WE as individuals have to start standing up to this type of poor design. I just spent the better part of an hour changing the oil filter - changing the oil was standard. I would really like to meet the engine designer right now, just to give him a piece of my mind.
lol. the 4 cylinder cartridge location is great. the 6 cylinder filter is oven mit time for sure.
Old March 1st, 2015, 3:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

as for the oil consumption. gm will repair the engines that fail the oil consumption tests for free as along as your under powertrain warranty and you can prove you have done your oil changes.