Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Timing Chain Bolt - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2023, 2:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain Bolt - Oil Consumption

I'm looking to buy a used Equinox, probably 2011-2013 AWD is in around my budget. Doing some research and read something about increased oil consumption on the 4-cyl models being a potential issue? Not sure if anyone can tell me what that's about?

Other issue for the Equinox is the timing chain issues. I guess lots of issues on the 4-cyl, and some on the 6-cyl between 2010-2012.

If I get the 4-cyl, can I install the Dorman timing chain bolt as a preventative measure? Video on the Dorman site is kinda, vague... says take the first bolts out, then use a magnetic tool to pull the broken bolt out. If the bolt isn't broken yet, can I still remove it from that port?

The other issue on the video is, it shows the airbox coming out, engine mount removed, then you have access to the bolt. However, when they're putting in the new bolt they say to make sure it lines up, and it shows the entire top of the engine removed (valve covers)... um... did we miss a few steps when making the video?

Our family car died this year, grabbed a used Ford Flex that looked/ran great, for 2 months, head gasket blew. So, bit of a budget and would like to avoid issues if possible.

So, I guess questions are

1 - Excessive Oil Consumption? What's that about, any signs to look for when test driving?
2 - Timing chain? What am I looking for... rattling on passenger side of engine?
3 - Can I just pop out the old bolt, pop in new without pulling the valve cover off? if cover needs off... is it that much harder?

I'm no mechanic, but can do some of the work needed on cars... with a bit of direction.