Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

transmission cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2016, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission cooler lines

2007 Equinox LT AWD

After exchanging the transmission fluid I noticed the cooler lines had a significant amount of rust and looked quite brittle.

Going to replace the lines and exchange the transmission fluid again. Will exchange the fluid a 3rd time. This is a process I have read about on Honda forums regarding my Odyssey. Figured I would also apply to my Equinox.

Was able to find the T-IV ATF at Toyota for $5.34 a quart. Didn't even check a GM dealer and I have heard it runs at least $17 a quart.

Anyone complete the transmission cooler line replacement? Any feedback and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old November 15th, 2016, 6:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 7474
2007 Equinox LT AWD

After exchanging the transmission fluid I noticed the cooler lines had a significant amount of rust and looked quite brittle.

Going to replace the lines and exchange the transmission fluid again. Will exchange the fluid a 3rd time. This is a process I have read about on Honda forums regarding my Odyssey. Figured I would also apply to my Equinox.

Was able to find the T-IV ATF at Toyota for $5.34 a quart. Didn't even check a GM dealer and I have heard it runs at least $17 a quart.

Anyone complete the transmission cooler line replacement? Any feedback and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I have changed the transmission cooler line assembly (p/n 15781494; thread link here). It's fairly easy to do. Drain the fluid by removing the drain plug, replace the lines, and replenish the fluid. Draining the fluid is actually not necessary, but I was due for a fluid change so I did it anyways. I measured about 4.25 qts when I drained the fluid. The lines are held to the radiator with a pair of quick disconnect fittings. You'll only need to remove the small clips instead of the whole fitting. I used a small flat head screwdriver and a needle nose pliers to remove them. There are three slots in each fitting that the rounded edges of the clips go into so be sure to reinstall them correctly. The assembly is fastened to the transmission with one 10mm nut. The torque spec for this nut is only 80 in-lbs so don't over tighten it. The GM service manual says that you should replace the cooler line seals in the transmission (visible when hose assembly is removed; p/n 24221233) and the two clips (p/n 24205103) that hold the assembly to the radiator. I don't feel that replacing these items is necessary unless they are damaged.

I recommend removing the transmission end of the hose assembly first to allow the fluid to drain out. It's less messy than removing the radiator ends first. When reinstalling the new hose assembly, install the clips into the radiator fittings first. Then push the lines into the fitting. You'll hear a click when each hose locks in place. I've attached instructions below in case you need them.

2005-2009_Equinox_Torrent_3.4L _Aisin_transmission oil-cooler-line-replacement.pdf
2005-2009_Equinox_Torrent_3.4L _Aisin_transmission_fluid-cooler-hose-pipe-radiator-quick-connect.pdf

Last edited by ruley73; November 15th, 2016 at 6:51 PM.
Old November 15th, 2016, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks a lot Ruley, greatly appreciate all of the information.

Where do these PDFs come from? I see them on many posts.

Thanks again.
Old November 15th, 2016, 8:51 PM
CF Pro Member

Thanks a lot Ruley, greatly appreciate all of the information.

Where do these PDFs come from? I see them on many posts.

Thanks again.
My local public library offers free access to an online auto repair database for it's members. The database has repair procedures, wiring diagrams, and TSBs/recalls which can be downloaded as PDFs. Your local library might offer something similar.
Old November 18th, 2016, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
My local public library offers free access to an online auto repair database for it's members. The database has repair procedures, wiring diagrams, and TSBs/recalls which can be downloaded as PDFs. Your local library might offer something similar.
Thanks. What is the name of the online data base?

Changed cooler lines out last night. Thanks for your assistance.
Old November 19th, 2016, 2:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Thanks. What is the name of the online data base?

Changed cooler lines out last night. Thanks for your assistance.
EBSCOhost is the name of the database. It appears they source most of their material from the respective manufacturer.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
EBSCOhost is the name of the database. It appears they source most of their material from the respective manufacturer.
Thanks for the info, I will check to see if our library has access.