Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

when both rear windows down, terrible buffeting sound

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2012, 2:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when both rear windows down, terrible buffeting sound

speaking of rear windows,
does anybody else experience the terrible buffeting sound that accompanies the rear windows being rolled down? what gives?

if you dont know what i mean, drive down the highway at 60mph, leave teh front windows up, then roll down both rear windows as far as they will go. Try different speeds,if memory serves, the faster you go, the worse it gets. The air pressure begins to buffet so much to the extent that it affects your hearing, because its actually the air pressure in the car that is oscillating to the tune of the vacuum thats being created by the windows being rolled down. as the pressure tries to regulate, it gets caugt in this oscillation.

note, this sound is in the 40hz range, which is close to the lowest end of the human hearing range, so im not talking about the whistle sound (which is high pitch, not low pitch) from what others are talking about.

its a design flaw that you would think would have been caught before manufacturing. for shiete sakes, roll the windows down when your test driving the car.

anyway, does anybody else notice this? im assuming its a notorious problem, plaguing the 2007 model. and maybe other models.

i honestly think that putting on the windows shields on top will solve this problem. Some say they are bug shields, others use it for rain, i think my wife will like them on the front so the wind stream wont be so obnoxious for my wife so she can roll down the window for once. But do they even make these for the rear windows? probably looks lame too huh?

Last edited by wolfdogg; February 18th, 2012 at 2:10 AM.
Old February 18th, 2012, 9:21 AM
CF Junior Member

I have noticed this as well. It sounds as if you were next to a helicopter.
Old February 19th, 2012, 2:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Ours does this too. It occurs because the rest of the cabin is so air tight. The vent shields may help, but I doubt it will make the sound go away completely. You can get a set from the Chevy dealer for ~$90 for the set for all four doors (part number 17802256).

I really don't see this as a problem since I rarely have only the rear windows down, but if you do I can certainly understand your point-of-view.
Old February 19th, 2012, 12:04 PM
CF Junior Member

I have ventshades on mine and it still does this.
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mswerb
I have ventshades on mine and it still does this.
same here
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:40 AM
CF Junior Member

aww, crap. thanks much for the response, seems like it was a worthy idea, but im glad you can save me the trouble. So anybody have an idea how to get rid of this sound?

the only time i roll down the back windows is when im on a long drive with my wife, and she doesnt like the windows rolled down at all, so the back ones help keep the noise, and wind problem minimized, but its impossible to drive with them down alone, now isnt that ironic?
Old June 7th, 2012, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Normal noise

The noise that you are describing is a normal characteristic...for almost all vehicles. This is due to the aerodynamics of the vehicle. When you are driving with the rear windows down, air rushing past the sides of the vehicle enter into the open windows, causing the noise that you describe. There is no "fix" for this phenom, but you can temporarily eliminate the "wind vibration" by cracking open one or both of the front windows!
The following users liked this post:
henchmaniii (April 22nd, 2024)
Old June 10th, 2012, 6:01 AM
CF Junior Member

good advice as far as rolling down the windows, but i dont think you have experience in a 2007 equinox, because the sound is unbearable, and i listen to 2x12, and 2x15" subwoofers at home when my wife isnt asleep.

Its not the ordinary sound, its absurd how irritating it is to the senses. its impossible to leave on. its an effective sound weapon to drive someone crazy.
Old July 1st, 2013, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default interior air baffling with rear windows down

My 2013 equinox has this same problem. I can not roll the back windows down with the front ones up. Higher the speed the louder the noise with more pronounced vibration of interior components.

My 2000 gmc jimmy does not do this.

Last edited by kingtw; July 1st, 2013 at 1:30 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

I know exactly what you are talking about. My wife has a 2011 equinox and I have an 08 silverado and both do this. I have two dogs that like to stick their heads out the windows. I have found that if I roll the back windows down, I usually have to crack the front windows just a little bit. About a finger width. That usually helps, although you gain a little noise up front. But, it isn't enough to bother the wife in the front seat. Hopefully that helps.

Quick Reply: when both rear windows down, terrible buffeting sound