Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

when both rear windows down, terrible buffeting sound

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2024, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window noise

Originally Posted by wolfdogg
speaking of rear windows,
does anybody else experience the terrible buffeting sound that accompanies the rear windows being rolled down? what gives?

if you dont know what i mean, drive down the highway at 60mph, leave teh front windows up, then roll down both rear windows as far as they will go. Try different speeds,if memory serves, the faster you go, the worse it gets. The air pressure begins to buffet so much to the extent that it affects your hearing, because its actually the air pressure in the car that is oscillating to the tune of the vacuum thats being created by the windows being rolled down. as the pressure tries to regulate, it gets caugt in this oscillation.

note, this sound is in the 40hz range, which is close to the lowest end of the human hearing range, so im not talking about the whistle sound (which is high pitch, not low pitch) from what others are talking about.

its a design flaw that you would think would have been caught before manufacturing. for shiete sakes, roll the windows down when your test driving the car.

anyway, does anybody else notice this? im assuming its a notorious problem, plaguing the 2007 model. and maybe other models.

i honestly think that putting on the windows shields on top will solve this problem. Some say they are bug shields, others use it for rain, i think my wife will like them on the front so the wind stream wont be so obnoxious for my wife so she can roll down the window for once. But do they even make these for the rear windows? probably looks lame too huh?
I found out the hard way driving home yesterday. I am almost deaf right now, very muffled and have a ringing in my ears. This is awful.
Old February 10th, 2024, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

I found out the hard way driving home yesterday, resulting in severe hearing loss. My ears are still ringing and sounds are very muffled. I have always had Chevy trucks, although I'm told it's pretty common in most new vehicles. Unbelievable that I can't roll down my back windows more than a crack. Not real happy about this
Old April 15th, 2024, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default Window chopping/buffeting sound

A lot of vehicles have the same issue I have a 2020 Chevy Blazer and when I am driving above 30 miles an hour and I roll the back windows down at any position the sound isn't so much the problem it becomes more of a feeling and it is torture to your ears almost to the point where you think it's going to cause damage to your eardrums over 50 miles an hour the whole roof starts to pulsate visibly! I am so upset about it and there is nothing being done not even a service bulletin the vent visors will help significantly! But that's not what they're intended for they work wonderful when it's raining and you want to get some air in or out of the vehicle I've experienced this problem with many cars but this particular vehicle I have has been hands down the worst and the most painful I have ever felt it almost makes me want to trade it in and get rid of it that's how bad it is anybody have any ideas please share with me I really don't ever use the back windows unless I have passengers and I have to warn everybody so they don't roll the back window down