Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

06 LS AWD Ign Switch Issue and Random No Power/CEL

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2013, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 LS AWD Ign Switch Issue and Random No Power/CEL

We purchased this car 4-5 months ago, 90k miles. What a hunk of junk!

So far had the head gaskets replaced and heater core replaced. Also dealing with the trac cont/ abs issue. Replaced hub, rotor, and sensor on drivers front. Gonna do the pass side next. The hub is growling on that side anyway, hoping it will solve the abs issue when I replace it.

The issue Im facing now is with the ign switch, sometimes when you turn the key to start the motor, it cranks and cranks, but wont fire. Seems almost like something is sticking? Can I use wd40 inside the lock cylinder to see if it frees up? Or should i get graphite lube?

Also, randomly, I cannot get it to repeat the prob when I try to diagnose it, when I step on the accelerator pedal to pass a car or whatever, it will buck and hesitate. The check engine light will start flashing for a few moments or so then go out. I havent had it scanned yet, I figure like all these probs, its a common issue with these junkers.

Any insight will be apreciated.
Old October 9th, 2013, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Oh, and the trans jumps around between gears when you press the throttle partway when you are driving in the 40-45-50mph range. We are getting the trans fluid flushed in a few weeks when we can afford it.
Old October 9th, 2013, 9:33 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds to me like it just needs new plugs & wires. The blinking check engine light indicates a misfire. This will adversely affect transmission operation, and may also be causing the hard starting. I only recommend using the OEM AC Delco Iridium spark plugs. The spark plug wires don't matter as much, just don't install the cheapest option from the parts store.

Lubing up the ignition lock won't help anything as the mechanical lock cylinder and the electric switch are two separate parts. To answer your question, I would only use graphite to lube the lock cylinder.

The transmission can't be flushed. Run from any transmission shop that tells you otherwise. However, they may be able to perform a complete fluid exchange (not the same as a flush). The filter is not serviceable, and a regular fluid change consists of draining half the fluid through the drain plug and replenishing what was drained. Be sure the shop uses the correct fluid. It takes GM type IV or Toyota T-IV (not Dexron III/Dexron VI).
Old October 10th, 2013, 4:53 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Fast94s,

I just would like you to know since you are repairing this yourself, if you need any part numbers just let us know. You can always send us a private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 10th, 2013, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Ty both of you.

I have a feeling its just worn or dry inside the key cylinder.

But def kinda makes sense about the wires/plugs. I will have to do this soon, should help with the fuel mileage some ( I hope).

I have the part numbers I need already but thanks. Atleast Chevys are easy to work on. Ill stick to old Hondas myself tho. My 19 year old del Sol or my 23 year old Accord dont have this many issues between them!