Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2005 Equinox coolant into reservoir when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2014, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Equinox coolant into reservoir when accelerating

I purchased a 2005 Equinox with 118K miles on it 2 days ago. Everything was fine on the test drive. Yesterday, I noticed a gurgling noise while in 'Park' after tapping the accelerator. I checked under the hood while my wife pressed the accelerator and coolant was sloshing into the reservoir every time the accelerator was pressed. I drove it for an hour prior and after and the temp never crept above normal operating range. Any idea what it might be? I am supposed to be driving from NM to FL in 2 days.
Old May 21st, 2014, 7:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

is the coolant level low?
Old May 22nd, 2014, 2:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coolant is not low, there doesn't appear to be any oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. I am getting a hydrocarbon and coolant pressure test done tomorrow.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 9:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonjordan13
I purchased a 2005 Equinox with 118K miles on it 2 days ago. Everything was fine on the test drive. Yesterday, I noticed a gurgling noise while in 'Park' after tapping the accelerator. I checked under the hood while my wife pressed the accelerator and coolant was sloshing into the reservoir every time the accelerator was pressed. I drove it for an hour prior and after and the temp never crept above normal operating range. Any idea what it might be? I am supposed to be driving from NM to FL in 2 days.
http://www.google.com/search?q=2005+equinox+gurgling
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:28 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

If you have had the coolant replaced recently, the cooling system may need to be properly bled.

Aside from that, everything you are experiencing is normal. Unless the "gurgling" is really loud, I wouldn't worry about it. I have been able to hear coolant flowing through the heater core on every vehicle I have ever owned. In every instance I was only able to hear it with the engine running, radio off, and HVAC fan off. In other words, it is only audible under the ideal conditions when the cabin is really quiet.

The coolant reservoir is not simply an overflow tank. Coolant constantly flows through it. When you rev up the engine the water pump propels the coolant through the engine faster. The coolant "sloshing" into the reservoir while revving the engine is normal.