Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:46 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

coolant blows out of the reservoir hose

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2011, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant blows out of the reservoir hose

Hello to all.

I have a 2000 chevrolet malibu. My grandma bought it in used in 2001, and I have had it since 2009. There was very little trouble with the car until late last year when,on a long trip, it overheated. After paying some back yard mechanics to put in a thermostat for us, we drove about 15 miles when it overheated again. Eventually we got it to a mechanic who fixed it. The radiator (reservoir cap) was bad, as well as the fuse that works the fan had blown. After fixing these issues, everything seemed okay.

A few months later, it started overheating just driving it for 10 minutes or so.

I had a friend of my moms who is a mechanic look at it, and try to fix it.
First thing he did was eliminate that it was something such as a blown head gasket or anything very serious.

He put in a new thermostat, just in case. We noticed one again the fans were not kicking on, so a bought a new fuse for it, and it seem to fix the problem.

However we noticed that it would still overheat, giving enough time. The problem seems to be that it would not hold any coolant. Thinking I had a leak, I noticed I could feel it up, and it would be full, but after driving it, it would be empty. We noticed that it would spit all of the coolant out of the reservoir hose.

He recommended I get it back flushed, and go from there.

Doing a little research, I read about using a flushing solution. since it was only $6 and seemed pretty easy, I chose to do this first.

After draining the coolant out ( the drain plug has actually been broke off, so my dad, who knows alot more about cars than I do, pulled off one of the radiator hoses, and drained the coolant out), we put the solution in, following the instructions.It recommends driving the car for 3-6 hours before flushing the chemical out with water.

Anyway after draining the old coolant out, and putting the solution in, I was
able to drive it for an hour straight,and then let it run for another hour, without overheating.I drove it again to day for about an hour, without it overheating.

However, as soon as I turned off the car, within a few minutes, the water(
no coolant, as per instructions of the flush cleaner) drained right out of the reservoir hose.

I also notice if it does not come out of the hose automatically,when you start to take the reservoir cap off, after a few turns the pressure will blow the water (or coolant) out of the hose.

In a day or 2 we are going to complete the flush and fill it back up with anti freeze. However, if this does not work, or if anyone has any Ideas as to why this is happening, I would really appreciate your opinion.

As of now, if this flush does not work, my next option is to take it to get back flushed, so if someone can tell me if this is the right method or not, please do so. Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

Also,just for the record, I replaced the reservoir cap, just in case. with the improved driving since adding the solution, my heart tells me that the it is just a clogged up coolant system causing the problems.

Also, I have not had the opportunity to run water from a water hose yet, though I believe this might also be a good option. I will probably buy one tomorrow, unless someone says other wise. Thanks again everybody.
Old June 30th, 2011, 7:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good so far, but if it happens again, you might have the radiator "boiled out," as you said, it could have a blockage.
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the exact same problem with my 99 Chevy Malibu. Did you ever reach a resolution? If so, what was it? Thanks.
Old March 18th, 2012, 1:52 PM
CF Junior Member

it sure sounds like a blown headgasket
Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

My Malibu 2002 overheated every time used for 4 years. One day I got some soapy water and sprayed it over all the hose connections and found one seeped bubbles from. It was the small hose leading to the expansion tank from the top of the radiator. I changed the original hose clip to a proper screwed down type and the leak disappeared. Now the correct coolant pressure builds up and the overheating has disappeared. All Malibu owners, please check your hose connections with soapy water before you do any parts buying. Don't waste your money and don't overlook a small hose leak. Very very tiny leak is enough to steam out when driving. Change your hose clips.
Old April 21st, 2019, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jh32
My Malibu 2002 overheated every time used for 4 years. One day I got some soapy water and sprayed it over all the hose connections and found one seeped bubbles from. It was the small hose leading to the expansion tank from the top of the radiator. I changed the original hose clip to a proper screwed down type and the leak disappeared. Now the correct coolant pressure builds up and the overheating has disappeared. All Malibu owners, please check your hose connections with soapy water before you do any parts buying. Don't waste your money and don't overlook a small hose leak. Very very tiny leak is enough to steam out when driving. Change your hose clips.

My 2009 Malibu has had one issue after another. I read Chevy let cars come off the assembly lines full of problems and now we have to deal with them and the piling of repairs and costs. I am so pissed at this company that we bailed out and they to us dirty!!!! I flushed mine then found coolant leaked out the next day. Baffled as to where it came from n it was a puddle under driver door area... I've had to change the map sensor, throttle body, had paid s mechanic to relearn the idle, car still a mess. Had more code's. Changed the alternator and ordered a new transmission control module. After installing alternator n ready to head home 30 Mike's away n been stuck here for day's due to car issues. Couldn't leave bc no headlight's. Took it to Advance with no help but after taking off front bumper found a tiny spray coming from bottom of radiator which I hadn't seen this leak which was very obvious coming out if the front. Put I stop leak n more antifreeze. Also found one fuse missing on headlight. Mechanic may have lost it n forgot it bc that light worked before. I've had to pull side of bumper leaving off pins to hold it due to repeatedly jiggling wires to get my headlights to work. 1 high beam the light holder is burnt. I would have to buy a whole new wiring system and I'm trading this car in but continue to have 1 costly issue after another. Got down the road and the big radiator hose just blew off n coolant sprayed out everywhere. Clamped it back on n used one screw clamp bc I hate their squeeze clamps n they put the hose to get to with the clamp facing in a direction u couldn't get you. The radiator drain plug in a hard location as well. That's F*"$#@# Chevy for you. Car still overheating n I'm told it's the thermostat. I'm pretty sure I fix that n there's another issue. Car still accelerates very slowly which maybe the transmission control module. Why Chevy didn't put s dip stick for transmission fluid check. I would like to Sue the hell out of Chevy. I WILL NEVER BUY A CHEVY AGAIN N WILL MAKE IT WELL KNOWN TO OTHERS . Still have to put new wiper motors n n splice 1 wire harness on for headlight bc someone spliced it b4 n put on a different light connector. Going to check my codes again n see if thermostat comes up. I HATE CHEVY!!!!
Old February 2nd, 2021, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Never rush a flush

As You Search The Web There Are Various Methods...Before I Did My Repairs, i Flushed like 4 Times With Vinegar And That Flush Stuff You Can Buy....FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS...DRAIN AND REPEAT...What I Do Is Drill A Hole In The T Stat So Air Can Escape....Also Replace Tank and Cap...Air Gets Sucked In Any Little Cracks...Any Little
Air Will Cause Boiling And Bad Overheat Symptoms...Method I Used To Burb The System...When System Is Cold...Top Off Coolant To The Cold Line With A Shot Or 2 Extra..Remove Cap...Turn On Car And Heat Full Blast...Idle like 10 Minutes...Squeeze Upper Hose Till You See Bubbles In Tbe Tank...Then...In Park Rev up To Like 2,500 RPMs For 30 Seconds...DO THIS 4 X 10 Minutes Aoart...To Purge Out Any Air Pockets...Because They Will Blow A Head Gasket.....Or If You Want , You Can Spend Money On Fancy Funnels and Vaccum Devices...Hope This Helps Someone...08 2.4l...Is What I Have