Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2005 equinox gauges don't work

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2020, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 equinox gauges don't work

I just got a 2005 equinox none of the gauges work (dash lights work and tach jumps when cranking) I'm assuming it's not the stepper motors in the cluster since it's every one of them. Also have airbag light on, t/c light, brake light, abs light and service soon light and turn signals don't work and radio doesn't work And my power steering doesn't work. I read somewhere else that all those issues tie into one another so I stated it. I've checked every fuse and the 80amp one under the hood and still nothing! I'm lost what to try or test next! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old October 9th, 2020, 8:43 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Nox6767
I just got a 2005 equinox none of the gauges work (dash lights work and tach jumps when cranking) I'm assuming it's not the stepper motors in the cluster since it's every one of them. Also have airbag light on, t/c light, brake light, abs light and service soon light and turn signals don't work and radio doesn't work And my power steering doesn't work. I read somewhere else that all those issues tie into one another so I stated it. I've checked every fuse and the 80amp one under the hood and still nothing! I'm lost what to try or test next! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Does the engine start and run? Have you checked the fuses in the interior fuse panel - particularly any BCM-related fuses?

Last edited by ruley73; October 10th, 2020 at 3:17 AM.
Old October 10th, 2020, 9:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

The instrument cluster and power steering both rely on data circuits for proper operation. Since all the warning lights are present, this indicates power and ground circuits to the cluster are OK. It’s possible data circuit is open or that another component on the network is malfunctioning and pulling the data circuit down.

In the instrument panel fuse box (I think it’s behind the trim panel on the passenger side of the center console) are the fuses for the power steering control module and the instrument cluster. First try pulling the EPS fuse and then turn the key on to see if normal cluster operation resumes. If so, there’s a problem with the PS control module.

If not, try pulling the IGN1 fuse - this removes ignition input from the cluster and should effectively shut it down with the key off. If the power steering returns, there’s an issue with the cluster.

If neither fuse makes a difference, you’ll want to at least have a shop pull codes and look at the data circuit/modules that are functional. You can always tell them you only want diagnosis and to call if it’s a simple repair such as a broken wire.
Old October 15th, 2020, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gumby22
The instrument cluster and power steering both rely on data circuits for proper operation. Since all the warning lights are present, this indicates power and ground circuits to the cluster are OK. It’s possible data circuit is open or that another component on the network is malfunctioning and pulling the data circuit down.

In the instrument panel fuse box (I think it’s behind the trim panel on the passenger side of the center console) are the fuses for the power steering control module and the instrument cluster. First try pulling the EPS fuse and then turn the key on to see if normal cluster operation resumes. If so, there’s a problem with the PS control module.

If not, try pulling the IGN1 fuse - this removes ignition input from the cluster and should effectively shut it down with the key off. If the power steering returns, there’s an issue with the cluster.

If neither fuse makes a difference, you’ll want to at least have a shop pull codes and look at the data circuit/modules that are functional. You can always tell them you only want diagnosis and to call if it’s a simple repair such as a broken wire.

The eps fuse didn't make a difference. The IGN 1 did shut the cluster off all together but the power steering did not return
Old October 15th, 2020, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
Does the engine start and run? Have you checked the fuses in the interior fuse panel - particularly any BCM-related fuses?
Yes starts and runs. I've went over every fuse multiple times
Old October 15th, 2020, 2:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes starts and runs. I've went over every fuse multiple times
So, it starts and runs, but cluster is acting erratic and the electric power steering doesn't work. It's very odd that it starts and runs despite the other issues. Remove the power steering fuse and check the resistance. If you've already done this and the fuse is fine, you need to find a good scantool that can retrieve more than powertrain (Pxxxx) codes. That might yield some codes to steer you in the right direction. The last couple suggestions I have before taking it to a shop is to remove the underhood fuse box, inspect the connectors on the bottom, and disassemble it if necessary for further inspection. Inspect all major power and ground connections - especially at the starter solenoid and underhood fuse block.
Old October 15th, 2020, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
So, it starts and runs, but cluster is acting erratic and the electric power steering doesn't work. It's very odd that it starts and runs despite the other issues. Remove the power steering fuse and check the resistance. If you've already done this and the fuse is fine, you need to find a good scantool that can retrieve more than powertrain (Pxxxx) codes. That might yield some codes to steer you in the right direction. The last couple suggestions I have before taking it to a shop is to remove the underhood fuse box, inspect the connectors on the bottom, and disassemble it if necessary for further inspection. Inspect all major power and ground connections - especially at the starter solenoid and underhood fuse block.
These are the only 2 codes it has I put a good scanner on it. And they cleared right out of it when erased

Old October 15th, 2020, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

The eps fuse didn't make a difference. The IGN 1 did shut the cluster off all together but the power steering did not return
These are only codes it has but it runs and I cleared them fine

Old October 15th, 2020, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

And when I tried to scan individual systems like the bcm or power steering this happens
Old October 15th, 2020, 7:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

At the base of the steering column, look for a splice pack with all purple wires going into it. This is a splice for the class 2 data circuit - the cluster and PS control module are part of this network.

Check for damaged wires and pull the cap off the splice to inspect the terminals for corrosion and loose connections. Repair as needed.

The radio, radio receiver, and air bag module are also on the class 2 network. Try pulling fuses for them to see if cluster and PS return.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gumby22:
Nox6767 (October 15th, 2020), ruley73 (November 11th, 2020)

Quick Reply: 2005 equinox gauges don't work