Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2012, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 LT AWD Equinox and I'm having the same problem. The ABS and traction control light comes on intermittently and the brakes will pulsate when they shouldn't.
Old August 13th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by nbk9l9r
I have a 2006 LT AWD Equinox and I'm having the same problem. The ABS and traction control light comes on intermittently and the brakes will pulsate when they shouldn't.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to assist you further after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old August 16th, 2012, 3:16 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Tc light and check engine light

Hi I seem to be having similar issues with my 2006 Equinox. I have had this truck for 5 yrs. From the beginning my TC light will come on and off as well as my CE light,and so my truck would feel like it slip gears(jerking really hard to catch up to speed).I have taken it to multiple Chevy dealers. They first replace the Trans harness. The truck was OK for about 8 mths,It begin to do the same thing. Took it to the dealers again that replace the same trans harness. This time it lasted 6mths.The problem persist. Then the TC light come back on and my breaks stated acting if it didn't want to stop. I replaced the hub bearing that problem stopped. Butt I'm back to square one with the TC light and CE light coming on and off. Took it back to the dealer this time they told me the code showed the gas cap gasket need to be adjusted. OK i did that. 2 week later I'm back to the same issue the trans continue to jerk. The TC light and CE light comes and goes and it been 5 yrs. I'm really tired of give Chevy my money for improper diag's. This is ridiculous. They really should do a investigation on this issue and maybe do a recall. Any suggestions Please Help
Old August 17th, 2012, 2:44 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by shivonda
Hi I seem to be having similar issues with my 2006 Equinox. I have had this truck for 5 yrs. From the beginning my TC light will come on and off as well as my CE light,and so my truck would feel like it slip gears(jerking really hard to catch up to speed).I have taken it to multiple Chevy dealers. They first replace the Trans harness. The truck was OK for about 8 mths,It begin to do the same thing. Took it to the dealers again that replace the same trans harness. This time it lasted 6mths.The problem persist. Then the TC light come back on and my breaks stated acting if it didn't want to stop. I replaced the hub bearing that problem stopped. Butt I'm back to square one with the TC light and CE light coming on and off. Took it back to the dealer this time they told me the code showed the gas cap gasket need to be adjusted. OK i did that. 2 week later I'm back to the same issue the trans continue to jerk. The TC light and CE light comes and goes and it been 5 yrs. I'm really tired of give Chevy my money for improper diag's. This is ridiculous. They really should do a investigation on this issue and maybe do a recall. Any suggestions Please Help
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Shivonda,

I'm sorry you are experiencing these issues with your Equinox vehicle. Have you contacted Customer Service regarding these issues? If so, would you please PM me your SR#, so I can look into your case?

If not, please PM me your information so I can set-up a case for you. In order to do so, I would need the following information: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your dealer.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old August 20th, 2012, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

I'm also having the "same problem" on my 2006 Equinox. It's current mileage is 63,000. When traveling at speeds of 5-10mph, the brakes start vibrating and when I push on the brake pedal it pushes back at me and I have difficulty stopping. When I took it in the said it was an issue with the brakes, which I replaced. The problem still existed.. Took it back in and they hooked it up to a diagnostic machine which came back saying it was the speed sensor. Well obviously that hasn't fixed the problem and my warranty expired one month before the issues started. Seeing that this is a problem that MANY people are having, I'm wondering when Chevy is going to step up and fix it. I don't have the money to throw parts at this issue and seeing that is causing difficulty in stopping, I'd say it's a pretty dangerous problem. I'm contacting Chevy today... Hopefully it gets me somewhere.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:42 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Justhurst
I'm also having the "same problem" on my 2006 Equinox. It's current mileage is 63,000. When traveling at speeds of 5-10mph, the brakes start vibrating and when I push on the brake pedal it pushes back at me and I have difficulty stopping. When I took it in the said it was an issue with the brakes, which I replaced. The problem still existed.. Took it back in and they hooked it up to a diagnostic machine which came back saying it was the speed sensor. Well obviously that hasn't fixed the problem and my warranty expired one month before the issues started. Seeing that this is a problem that MANY people are having, I'm wondering when Chevy is going to step up and fix it. I don't have the money to throw parts at this issue and seeing that is causing difficulty in stopping, I'd say it's a pretty dangerous problem. I'm contacting Chevy today... Hopefully it gets me somewhere.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Equinox vehicle. You stated that you were going to contact Chevy, were you able to set-up a case?

If you have not contacted Customer Service yet, please PM me your information. I would be happy to assist you in creating a case for this issue.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old August 23rd, 2012, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Just an update on my situation (I posted a couple of weeks ago). I took my car in to a place JUST to get it diagnosed as a starting step. I was told my speed sensor and bushings need to be replaced. I am absolutely NOT getting the work done at this place as they are truly trying to overcharge me on parts and labor. It gave me a good idea as to how much the dealer would charge me as well.

I am going to buy the GM parts myself and have a mechanic I know put them in. Unfortunately I just don't have $1100 lying around right now for the dealership to do it when the parts and labor could be done by my guy for about $350 total. I am still incensed that so many of us with '05 and '06 Equinoxs seem to be having this same issue. My car only has 67,000 miles on it, not bad for a 7 year old car.

The only issue I have is that I was told it was a hub and speed sensor that needs replacing. Is that the same as an ABS speed sensor? Is that a wheel sensor? I tried looking for the part and those different options came up. If anyone knows the answer I'd appreciate it. I'll probably also go back to the place that diagnosed it (car doctors) and ask them exactly what they meant.

Thank you,
Tana Williams
Old August 25th, 2012, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

I received all my answers from the diagnosing mechanic. I also bought all the parts needed myself for a total of about $120. Name brand, quality parts, I did my research.

I will have a mechanic put the parts in for a nominal charge (about $150-200). So basically instead of $1100 I am paying a total of $270-$370. I trust the mechanic I am using.

I was also told by the original diagnosticians that my rack and pinion is "going" but that repair can wait for a bit. JUst lovely. This is my second Chevy and I actually prefer American cars (crazy I know). But I am not happy with all these repairs at my fairly lowish mileage!
Old August 25th, 2012, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

Can someone please help me? I am new to this and dont know how to post on the forum to ask a question!! I am having problems with my 2008 silverado 1500 6.0. Traction, ABS, brake lights are on. Dash says to service stabilitrack, and some other things. Also my truck has now begun to shift very hard. Kinda worried. Can someone please lend some expert advise?
Old August 29th, 2012, 2:49 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by JRuizJr
Can someone please help me? I am new to this and dont know how to post on the forum to ask a question!! I am having problems with my 2008 silverado 1500 6.0. Traction, ABS, brake lights are on. Dash says to service stabilitrack, and some other things. Also my truck has now begun to shift very hard. Kinda worried. Can someone please lend some expert advise?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> JRuizJr,

I recommend having the vehicle inspected by your local certified technician. Please feel free to contact me privately if you have any additional questions.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems