Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2014, 6:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmiespencil
The problem is in the relay. After spending about a grand for Chevy to guess what was wrong it was just a simple relay.
Got any details? Which relay? I only see fuses in the underhood fuse block that are related to the braking system.
Old June 17th, 2014, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by UpstateNY Bill
Got any details? Which relay? I only see fuses in the underhood fuse block that are related to the braking system.
I am also curious to which relay and where it's located. I replaced the brakes, the pigtail wiring harness from the hub to the main harness, and the problem still happened immediately. I just took the abs fuse out completely. Other than the lights on the dash, and no abs or tc, I haven't had a single problem since.
Old June 17th, 2014, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Hi there Jimmie.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
Could you please point out which relay are you referring to?<o></o>
It would make a big difference for all of us.<o></o>
Appreciate your help a LOT!!!<o></o>
Old June 25th, 2014, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 Chevy Equinox - ABS System

I, too, am having problems with the ABS system on my 2006 Equinox. After reading many of the threads on this site, most of which are addressing the same type of problems, it seems to me Chevy has a major crisis on their hands and is refusing to take care of the problem by issuing a recall. Does anyone know who to contact to pressure Chevy into instigating a recall? Like many of my fellow Equinox owners, I have spent hundreds of dollars and many months to get this problem resolved but to no avail. The consumer must wield some power. Is there a number where all of us can call to inundate Chevy with disgruntled customers?
Old June 27th, 2014, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Yep. Contacting Chevy will get you no where. They will just contact the dealer who will make yet another appt and still charge to fix the original problem. I've been to two Chevy dealers for my ABS problem and both acknowledged that the Eqinox is known for this problem. If their supposed to be the eyes and ears for mechanical defaults than it is beyond me why these autos have not been recalled. Anyways a complaint with the NHTSB is a must. They appear to be numbers driven so the more people complain the better chance for an investigation from an impartial party.
Old July 15th, 2014, 6:32 AM
CF Beginner

Twenty One pages of the same exact problem on this forum, and Chevy pretends they've never heard about it. Absolutly absurd.

I would love to know which relay eeryone is referring to, I'd be willing to replace a relay to see if it fixes it. What seems to be the most common defect? Is there a particular wheel that the wiring shorts out on more than others due to a flaw in the design? It's a pain in the *** to jack up each wheel, then check the wiring for chaffing or breaks.

Really wish GM would step up and do something about this, how many accidents have been caused by this?

Like others, I pulled the ABS fuse so I can drive it wothout plowing into someone. It drives ok, but I sure would like to have a complete vehicle again.
Old July 16th, 2014, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by revolutionair
Twenty One pages of the same exact problem on this forum, and Chevy pretends they've never heard about it. Absolutly absurd.

I would love to know which relay eeryone is referring to, I'd be willing to replace a relay to see if it fixes it. What seems to be the most common defect? Is there a particular wheel that the wiring shorts out on more than others due to a flaw in the design? It's a pain in the *** to jack up each wheel, then check the wiring for chaffing or breaks.

Really wish GM would step up and do something about this, how many accidents have been caused by this?

Like others, I pulled the ABS fuse so I can drive it wothout plowing into someone. It drives ok, but I sure would like to have a complete vehicle again.
I agree. I am sure everyone who is having this problem agrees, however GM turns a blind eye. I replaced the pigtail wiring on the left and it didn't help. I am guessing I would have the same result if I had replaced the right one... Replaced the rotors and pads, nothing. I am not replacing the hub or the wheel speed sensors because that's not what the problem is. I know what ABS sounds like and feels like, and GM can't tell me it's anything but the ABS because when I removed the fuse it magically stopped making the noise and the wheels stopped locking up. I find it wildly ridiculous they recall thousands of vehicles, including ones still being manufactured, but not the Equinox which is a rather popular family vehicle. They have thousands of people driving, or not driving because it's dangerous, a vehicle that is unsafe. I am going to sell mine because I don't want to be in an accident because of this. Sad really, because I really like this SUV.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Traded in

We have traded in the Equinox that caused us so much stress, for a FORD....Will never waste my money on another Chevy!!!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default problem with abs and t/c as well

I have an 06 equinox and the brakes are acting funny. don't even want to stop some times and ABS and t/c light comes on but they come on when brakes are working fine not when they mess up. does anyone know how to fix this yet??? I want to take a road trip but can't u til I get this problem fixed
Old August 8th, 2014, 4:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Equinox ABS, TCS light, problems

I have been dealing with this problem for over 3 years now. My wife drives the car and has problems EVERY DAY! I have unplugged all four wheel speed sensor connectors and the ABS is STILL grabbing the brakes! There are 4 new tires and new brakes on the vehicle so this should not be happening. I will not take me vehicle to a dealer or mechanic because of this forum thread that tells me that it is not going to be fixed properly! I do not have the money to waste on a problem that won't get fixed the first time. It seems that they have a false code telling the GM mechanics to replace something that is not broken. A recall is a must for this issue! GM should have never messed with the ABS system to "try and improve" the system. I don't need my car driving for me!

Get on with the recall!

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems