Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2013, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Equinox LT FWD 84,000 miles ABS TC light

I asked the mechanic at the dealer and was told that it was ok to drive with the ABS fuse out to disable the ABS from engaging.
When you take the ABS fuse out, the ABS+ESC+Brake light will all come on but you can still use the standard brakes.

At the dealer they did a ABS system check and said History code C0035 set and C0036 set during diag.
They said a new sensor will be needed but I told them to try replacing the harness 4.720 ($88.18).
The total for that visit including ordering for the harness was $203.18

A week later I went in and had the harness installed and the problem was resolved. I got the car back after 6 hours. I also had an oil change and tire rotation. Total cost that day was $215.47

You are looking at about $400 for the ABS TC light diagnosis and harness replacement.

It has been 3 days and the car runs fine. I tried hard braking and the ABS works fine.

I will be trading it in or selling the vehicle very soon so I don't have to worry any more about the safety of my wife and the kids.

Last edited by sgp777; March 28th, 2013 at 5:32 PM.
Old March 28th, 2013, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Hopefully Fixed This Time!

Took my 06 Equinox back to my mechanic after he replaced the front left wheel bearing (c0036), he removed the newly installed part and replaced it with another new part. It now has been a week and no issues! I was told by my mechanic (previously GM mechanic) if this didn't fix this problem the next thing to do is to replace the connector on the truck side of the bearing. This sometimes go bad, he did make a point telling me not to replace the entire wiring harness, just the connector.
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

I just found this forum and unfortunately I have to add myself to the list of angry Equinox users with a faulty ABS system. I have a 2006 Equinox. When it had about 30,000 miles I had a problem with a wheel sensor, that was replaced. When I had about 50K miles, the ABS control module was replaced. At 100K miles, just two years later, my ABS module needs to be replaced again! That's number 3!! I see that Louis from Chevrolet is very apologetic, but really Lois, enough with the apologies! It's obvious that these modules are defective and your customers are paying several thousand dollars to troubleshoot and repair! What really ticks me off is that the ABS module can be purchased for under $300, but having it done at a Chevy dealership can cost as much as $1000!!! This is the first Chevy I've owned. Sadly, it will be the last. I'm all for buying American, but when a company doesn't stand by it's product, I have to find one that does. Lois... will Chevy help us or does everyone on this forum need to reconsider their next purchase choice? The ball is in your court.
Old April 9th, 2013, 7:51 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusNH
I just found this forum and unfortunately I have to add myself to the list of angry Equinox users with a faulty ABS system. I have a 2006 Equinox. When it had about 30,000 miles I had a problem with a wheel sensor, that was replaced. When I had about 50K miles, the ABS control module was replaced. At 100K miles, just two years later, my ABS module needs to be replaced again! That's number 3!! I see that Louis from Chevrolet is very apologetic, but really Lois, enough with the apologies! It's obvious that these modules are defective and your customers are paying several thousand dollars to troubleshoot and repair! What really ticks me off is that the ABS module can be purchased for under $300, but having it done at a Chevy dealership can cost as much as $1000!!! This is the first Chevy I've owned. Sadly, it will be the last. I'm all for buying American, but when a company doesn't stand by it's product, I have to find one that does. Lois... will Chevy help us or does everyone on this forum need to reconsider their next purchase choice? The ball is in your court.
Hello,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your vehicle at this time. I'd like to look into this further for you, but I'll need some information first. Could you please private message me your full name, address, VIN, and vehicle mileage so that I can set up a case for you regarding this issue.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2 years later light back on

i had my abs light come on in 2011 after several tries the santa paula chevy dealer fixed the problem...well it's 2013 and my abs light is back on{haha} i'm so done with this car that I use it just for work now. was going to buy a 2010 Malibu but I decided tto go with a Nissan maxima instead..it's obvious these cars are lemons and chevy could care less.....I mean they already got our money so I will not put any more money into this car. I am seriously thinking of selling it to the junkyard.....I WILL NEVER BUY A CHEVY AGAIN
Old April 14th, 2013, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default ABS and Traction lights on

After reading all the threads and getting some idea where and what to look for, I went back to recheck everything that I did to correct the problem. Naturally this is after getting the codes and probable problems which said I had a right front sensor bad. I bought a sensor (hub assembly) and replaced it, did not see any other problems with wiring, still had a light on did not fix the problem.

Started over this AM. Started checking wiring, started at the hub assembly and working back up inside by the frame and up to the fire wall. BINGO found the wire eaten into (green) by mice. We live on a farm in the country and always have this problem with equipment, plug wires wiring etc.

Pulled the wiring out from the wheel up to the fire wall to get to the wire to solder in a new section as this was a part of the car harness not the short section you can buy. Repaired the wire with ROSIN core solder, (NEVER USE ACID CORE ON VEHICLE) covered the repair with heat shrink and re taped the wiring repair to insure no moisture intrusion.

Put it all back together and NO LIGHT everything worked as designed.

IF YOU HAVE A ABS LIGHT ON ALL THE TIME YOU HAVE A BAD HUB OR A BREAK IN THE WIRING SOMEWHERE GET THE CODES SO YOU HAVE A STARTING POINT TO START LOOKING FOR THE PROBLEM. IF THE LIGHT COMES ON AND GOES OFF YOU HAVE AN INTERMITTENT WIRING PROBLEM MAKING AND BREAKING CONTACT.

IT'S NOT LIKELY THAT A HUB WILL DO THIS IT WILL BE GOOD OR BAD. LOOK FOR WIRING PROBLEMS FIRST.

For your reference I'm a certified technician, retired factory rep and Zone Service Manager, won't say what Division that I worked for but it was GM..

Wish you luck with your repairs, they are not impossible, but aggravating. I'm to old for this stuff.. Have fun and a good day.. Hope this helps someone.. My car is a 2006 Equinox
Last edited by mangleweld; Today at 07:38 PM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

@ mangleweld. I have a 2005 equinox. My problem seems to be different from most ! What happens is I turn my car on in the morning and my lights are off! Then when I turn my steering wheel, my skid caution light goes on when I turn to the right. As I turn my wheel back and forth while I I'm in park, my abs and tc light goes on ?? So what can be the problem. Some wire short maybe? I've had this problem for over a year and I don't want to put thousands of dollars into it and it doesn't fix the problem?!! Also if I pull over and restart my car, I get the lights off and I move at like5-10 mph with the wheel straight, I hear my and kicking in as if its on ice! It then goes on ! Any ideas would be appreciated thanks
Old April 18th, 2013, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Also guys. I had my abs and tc light off and was screwing around with the traction buttion and driving back and forth. I guess I was tricking my computer and I was driving with the lights off. Amazing. It then goes on sometimes. Usually the steering but I think it's my abs module !
Old April 19th, 2013, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default fixing the problem once and for all

Hi all. I've posted in the past about my issue with my 06 equinox. Ill tell yall little secret how to fix after little story.

I was driving to pick up my children from school when my equinox malfunctioned the last time. I was running late so I was a bit in a hurry. I couldnt stop to make the turn to pick them up. I overshot my turn by rough guessing 150 feet. Roughly 3 houses out here. I was sooo relived no children had been crossing the street and I did not cause an accident. My equinox had been in the shop 3 times prior. Both hub assemblies which include speed sensor and greased all contacts from hub to abs control box. ( not sure what brainbox is called for abs offhand ) Here is how I fixed it. .........

At 62, 000 miles, I realized I couldve killed someone and soon as I got my children, my children and I went shopping. I went to a dealer of choice (not chevy) for a family vehicle. I will NEVER own a chevy for a FAMILY vehicle again! I spent over 1,500 on the dealership attempting to fix. The equinox for being 7 years old was in excellent shape. New 80,000 mile tires, belt, battery. I replaced bulbs like mad because the abs pulls so much juice when activating. Until that problem, I really liked the vehicle. I took very good care of it with preventive maintenance. I would not recommend this vehicle for anyone. We all know what opinions are like though...? I was dealing with it best I could. When I got that feeling I couldve killed someone, I'm not messing around anymore. Its not a good feeling.

Good luck everyone
Paul
Aka twosox
Old April 21st, 2013, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default No response from Chevy - No surprise!

I see that on many of these reported Equinox issues, a Chevy Rep offers her assistance. It's been nearly 2 weeks since my original post and the follow-up offer of assistance from Chevy, and I haven't heard squat! Yes, I provided her with all my details and my VIN number. Response to date... nothing! Has anyone had any assistance from Chevy in this matter? Is their customer services rep just blowing smoke? There's nothing I've seen from GM that will ever get me to buy another one of their products again. Their marketing blitz of the "New GM," with better quality and service was just that, marketing doubletalk! GM hasn't changed! I expect they'll fall into the abyss again because they're back to their old ways. I HATE having to buy a foreign car, but I also hate squandering the hard earned money I have on a hope and a prayer that the US auto industry is really committed to providing the quality and service that we need and demand! We have the best workers in the world, directed by the worse managers. What a shame!

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems