Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2013, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abc light and tc light

you know since i have the car and i am having so much problem i had fix this car so many time you fix one think and anther problem coms on how com chevy do not bowl all this car and fix it like toyota do i have my wife and my kids at this car and it was no brick thy almost die the light of the abc show and it was a bad think no brick at the car it mike weird noise when you push the brick i am so sorry but some one have to take this car a way from the street before some one die in this car
Old July 26th, 2013, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

I found this thread googling the same codes and symptoms as many of you, read the whole thing, and felt the need to register and respond after fixing the vehicle.

I own an independent repair shop (not a dealer), and we got a '06 Equinox in our bays after both the owner and another shop exhausted their repair options. The customer originally replace left rear wheel speed sensor (hub ***'y and sensor) after mistakenly reading the codes incorrectly. It then went to another shop, where it had a code for left front wheel speed sensor, that shop replaced the left front wheel speed sensor (again, hub assembly with sensor), and the problem was still there. We received the vehicle with abs and traction control lights that would come on consistently after driving a very short distance. Running the vehicle on the hoist, while watching the speed sensor signals on our equipment, we could not duplicate any failures in the shop. After reading this thread, I figured we'd try the harness that someone had posted earlier. We replaced the sub harness for the left front wheel speed sensor, GM part # 22715444 and fixed the problem. The vehicle would instantly set the lights on any time we drove it previously, and now has been good after several drives. Hope this helps some of you!

John
Old July 30th, 2013, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default Found The Problem!

Well after changing the speed sensor once and the bearing assembly twice on the left front of my Equinox I finally found what the issue has been all along. As it turns out it was the connector on the motor side at the speed sensor. I removed the 3 foot section of wire from the connector at the speed sensor to the connector just behind the wheel well cover (remove cover on wheel well side to access the connector) and checked with an ohm meter to see if there was an open or short in the wiring. Everything checked out, except I noticed the pins at the speed sensor connector were corroded. I used a small file to clean the pins and re-installed the wiring. I have had no pulsing or abs lights coming on now for three weeks. Chevy should remove this connector at the wheel by increasing the sensor wiring by 4 feet, this would solve this problem.
Old August 24th, 2013, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Which Fuse

I am having the same problem and have been told by a mechanic at Monroe Muffler/Brake that the brakes are fine and that is coming up as the sensor. I will be taking it to the dealer in the next week or two, but in the interim, I figured I would pull the fuse. There are two fuses, a large 40 and a small 20. Which one should be pulled?
Old August 25th, 2013, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default How I fixed the issue!

I found that the connector at the sensor was corroded and not making good contact. I have a small file in which I was able to lightly clean the contacts on the motor side of the connector (new sensor installed no need to clean the new half of the connector) I also sprayed the connector with contact cleaner. The solved the problem I had with the lights coming on and also solved the issue with the brakes pulsing. What Chevy should do is extend the speed sensor wire and have the connector inside the engine compartment instead of the wheel well where it gets sprayed with water and in the winter salt. Hope this helps your issue

Art Kolupanowich
Old September 19th, 2013, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Angry

I have been having this same issue with my car for the last 2 years. I have had my front left wheel barring replaced three times. And now am having the same issues again. I have three different mechanics fix it each time. And each time they don't believe me tell them what it is, and tell me that on their test drive " the abs did not engage and the lights did not come on" so I end up having to take it in multiple times. Is there some kind of recall on this yet? I can't keep replacing this part and no one seems to know why it keeps happening.
Can anyone Help?
Old September 20th, 2013, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bulldogsx2
I have been having this same issue with my car for the last 2 years. I have had my front left wheel barring replaced three times. And now am having the same issues again. I have three different mechanics fix it each time. And each time they don't believe me tell them what it is, and tell me that on their test drive " the abs did not engage and the lights did not come on" so I end up having to take it in multiple times. Is there some kind of recall on this yet? I can't keep replacing this part and no one seems to know why it keeps happening.
Can anyone Help?
Did you read my response? #160 on last page.
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

I had this same issue with my 05 Equinox and know of two other Equinox’s that started doing this as well. In all three cases it turned out to be a faulty wiring harness for the speed sensor on the front driver’s side hub (AC Delco part number 22715444). The part is relatively cheap and easy to replace but the dealerships and mechanics seem to have a hard time diagnosing the issue.
Old October 9th, 2013, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Same story. 2005 Equinox. I've been trying for 6 months to solve the ABS and traction light problem. Took it to regular mechanic first (NTB) They replace front driver side hub two times, also replaced harness. They don't want the car back. Took it to a Chev dealer. They replaced the hub, and repaired brake caliper that was hanging up. $1800. and two weeks later, started getting kickback in the brake pedal and ABS noise. Usually at slow speed, coming to a corner, braking and turning. ABS and traction lights do not come on immediately. Yesterday it was 15-20 min. later. Took it to Chev. dealer AGAIN! This is tiresome! I love my Equinox, but it is frustrating that Chevy cannot fix this. There are too many complaints about it on line. Can't believe that Chevy does not know what the problem is. Has anyone found a solution to this? I see suggestions, but no one comes back and says, "This solved the problem."

Last edited by WhiteLilac; November 8th, 2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Additional Info: The Chevy dealer "greased" all the connections on the harness and so far, so good.
Old November 7th, 2013, 3:12 PM
CF Junior Member

I too have been experiencing this same problem for over 2 years now with my 07 Equinox. I have read every post on here about the problem. This is definitely something Chevy should RECALL! My experience with this problem has been with the rear brakes grabbing. I have looked at all 4 harnesses and they look good. My question is, what happens when you disconnect the wheel speed sensors? I still have brakes because i tried this once and the brakes seem fine, NO GRABBING! Other than the lights on the dash and the display saying something about the stabilitrak, what will it hurt?

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems