Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2013, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 EQUINOX with STABILITRAK LIGHT ON

I have a 2009 Equinox, the battery died...I had it jump started by AAA and as soon as I put the car into drive, the stabilitrak light came on. How can I et it to turn off?
Old November 22nd, 2013, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

I too am having problems. Had a regular mechanic "fix" the abs/tc light coming on. worked for 2 days, then I had to bring it back. he said he would "tighten the connection". I went ahead and brought It back 2 times there after. I was on maternity leave after relocating so I went to a family mechanic who owns a shop. anyway, when I went back to work & visited w/ my real mechanic Bob @ Warren Tires in Pawtucket, RI told me to go to the dealer because he wouldn't want to make me pay for something again that I already had done. so I brought to Jerry today at Chevy dealer in North Dartmouth, MA, he said they can take me Wednesday and he said it could be the harness or the left whl bearing. He waived the diagnostic fee. I am wondering if there are any TSB's about this problem - I have paid for it once. don't want to pay for it again. If there is a recall or tsb, I don't mind paying that diagnostic fee if they fix for free. Erin FErnandes
Old December 8th, 2013, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

I'm still trying to get the problem corrected. However, in the meantime, I've filed a complaint with the U.S. DOT's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Office of Defects Investigation at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm .
Old January 2nd, 2014, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2005 equinox, with about 118 miles on it. Honestly, it's really been one thing after another with this truck, starting with the struts and mounts, steering shaft, etc. I am having the same issue where the ABS kicks in at low speeds when coming to a complete stop. You hear a groaning noise, and the pedal vibrates. No lights are on at all. We took the ABS fuses out, and magically, the noise and vibration went away. We did this after we replaced the pads and rotors, assuming since it was a noise with no warning lights, aka no codes, that it must be the brakes. Well, it has shiny new brakes, but the noise still persists. It does this almost 90% of the time. After doing some research, we came across this site, among others, stating that it was the ABS pigtail wiring harness on the LH front side, part 22715444. $70 at the dealership, and call me crazy, but they stocked it, which means there is a demand, or so RIM thinks. No recalls, no TSB's on this. GM dealers will replace hubs and wheel speed sensors all day, but the problem continues. I am going to put it up in the air tonight and see what happens when it's replaced. Something is telling me that it will. Wish me luck.
Old January 7th, 2014, 1:58 AM
CF Beginner

Hey guys, im a new owner of an 06 Equinox. Im having this same ABS/TC problem, and i figured before i dump thousands into a new hub assembly, ill try to replace the pigtail harness. Unfortunately i dont know much about vehicle, and i have no idea where this harness is located on the vehicle?! I've tried to do a google search, ive looked on youtube, searched through diagrams, and i just dont know where it is.

Can someone tell me where this thing plugs in at so i know where to look when replacing it with the new one?

Thanks in advance!
Old January 7th, 2014, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by IdahoCoupe
Hey guys, im a new owner of an 06 Equinox. Im having this same ABS/TC problem, and i figured before i dump thousands into a new hub assembly, ill try to replace the pigtail harness. Unfortunately i dont know much about vehicle, and i have no idea where this harness is located on the vehicle?! I've tried to do a google search, ive looked on youtube, searched through diagrams, and i just dont know where it is.

Can someone tell me where this thing plugs in at so i know where to look when replacing it with the new one?

Thanks in advance!
Follow the wire off the wheel speed sensor on the wheel bearing/hub assembly to the connector. That connector on the body side is one end of the sub harness. Follow it up the body 18-20" and find the other end. That is the harness that typically needs replacing and that has fixed a couple of these vehicles for my customers.
Old January 7th, 2014, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ACR&O
Follow the wire off the wheel speed sensor on the wheel bearing/hub assembly to the connector. That connector on the body side is one end of the sub harness. Follow it up the body 18-20" and find the other end. That is the harness that typically needs replacing and that has fixed a couple of these vehicles for my customers.
That about covers it, just take the tire off and you should see the wire harness on the brake assembly. The other end of the harness is just on the other side of the wheel well so you have too pull a couple of the plastic push pins out to get to it.
Old January 7th, 2014, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ACR&O
Thank you! I'll be doing this repair within the next week and ill report bacvk in with my results. hopefully this fixes the issue
Old January 8th, 2014, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Can anyone tell me what fuses to pull to disable the ABS? This morning on my way to work i almost hit the car in front of me because my pedal went stiff, started grinding, and i couldnt stop the vehicle in time. i had to swerve into the lane next to me, cutting off the guy in that lane.

Someone please let me know which fuses to pull until i can get that new harness! I need my vehicle for work every day so i cant just not drive it.
Old January 9th, 2014, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default ABS fuse

Originally Posted by IdahoCoupe
Can anyone tell me what fuses to pull to disable the ABS? This morning on my way to work i almost hit the car in front of me because my pedal went stiff, started grinding, and i couldnt stop the vehicle in time. i had to swerve into the lane next to me, cutting off the guy in that lane.

Someone please let me know which fuses to pull until i can get that new harness! I need my vehicle for work every day so i cant just not drive it.
Technically there are 3 of them, one is a 40amp, 2 smaller ones a 15amp and 10 amp I believe. They are in the fusebox under the hood. Take the 40amp one out, which is the ABS power. If you are standing in front of the truck look down on the fusebox, it's the second row from the right, second fuse down. Verify on the fusebox lid first though. That will cause the ABS/TC lights to come on, but not the Brake and Check Engine. That's the one I took out since replacing the pigtail harness didn't fix my issue. Truck runs like a champ, no noises, no grinding, no pedal vibration, but no ABS/TC either. I will take that over a death trap any day of the week. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems