Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2012, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, just joined this forum so I could respond.

My 2006 Equinox AWD is really starting to **** me off. Bought it used in '08 with only 12k on it for 19k. It has about 42k on it now. fully loaded, leather, moon roof, tint, dual dvd and screens, even nerf bars?... it was perfect.

then the list of problems. So, I'm glad I've found somewhere that shares some of my pains with this vehicle...I've fixed so many of them, but new ones keep comming. (WTF is that kachunk-kachunk noise from the back)

that being said, I had the same problem with the tc/abs system. When I was doing the brakes, I noticed how rusted up the front driver side hub was. It was about a month later I got the abs light. I automatically assumed it was that hub and sensor. I tried to pull the sensor and ended up damaging it. Seeing that the sensor in the stores where 70 bucks, I went on ebay and found hub AND sensor for the same price. So, I said screw it, I'll replace both.

For the life of me, I could not remove that damn hub assembly. I broke a sledge hammer in the process. Used a puller, torch, you name it. Luckily, I was able to put it all back together and bring it in to a shop near me. The mechanic took the old one out and put the one I got from ebay in for $99. He said it took some time to take it out and he sees why I couldn't do it.

Hopefully, this will help some one. I haven't had a single problem with abs/since then.

Other problems... yes. But not that one it's been almost a year, no probs with that, knock on wood.

good luck to all!

I'm now on a quest for a clunking noise from the front end. I just replaced the cv axle f/d/s this morning.... that wasn't it. figured I might have damaged the joints some how last year getting the hub assy out. Just kissed 70 bucks goodbye along with some damn knuckle skin...
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Palfelipe
It looks like we all have or had the same problem.
I just bought it a week ago, what a surprise. So I took my Equinox to the dealership today, (Shottenkirk of Mount Pleasant, Ia) They diagnosed to replace Front Bearings and Sensors.
Total Cost: $1270 plus taxes !!!
I don't want to spend or waste this amount of money if is not going to fix the problem ! could it be just the pigtail wire harness ???
anyone ?
If you bring your car to a shop, they should be able to tell you what sensor is misreading. Don't know how much they charge, but that would be a good start... If you know for sure, you can purchase the hub assemblies yourself (got mine off ebay) and have them install it. Just don't go to the dealer. do some research and find a local mechanic...
Old March 19th, 2012, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

dear avtj03,

Like you, I purchased my used LT model on 2008 and like you I have experienced many issues with it. The most important was, the so popular in this forum, front abs sensor. Hopefully it was fixed by the dealer. This was fixed about a year ago and after this I have not experienced other problems, like you said, knock on wood.

<O:p</O:pRegarding the kachunck noise you mention that is coming from the back. It is heard when you drive slow on bad conditions roads? If so, the problem might be the stabilizer links of the stabilizer bar. A local mechanic replaced them and when he showed to me the links they were in very bad condition. Once replaced, I run the vehicle for a month when the noise started again. This time, I took the vehicle to the same mechanic and the problem was that they did not fasten the link nuts tight so they become loose when running. After this, no further problems from the back of the vehicle.
<O:p</O:p
Now, the front clunking noise you mention. I experienced this about six month ago. I heard this noise when driving on bad conditions roads and sometimes when starting the vehicle. I took my Equinox to a Advance Auto repair shop. The problem I mentioned to them, a severe clunking noise that came from the front of the vehicle. After a test drive with the mechanic they came with this:
bad shock absorbers (was evident that one was damaged since it was leaking)<O:p</O:p
replacement of stabilizer bar insulators (have my doubts with this one)<O:p></O:p>
replacement of link kit (also have doubts with this one since were replaced about a year ago)<O:p</O:p
front alignment <O:p</O:p
Total Estimate Cost of Repairs - Around $600.00 (parts included)<O:p</O:p
Since I was so pissed with this noise I said go ahead. <O:p</O:p
A week later after the repair I came back to Advance Auto now with all the paper work of the repair above. The reason I came back. The same clunking noise. The new diagnostic, the hydraulic engine mount was broken and lose all the oil in it. The mount cost me about $160.00 but the repair was done under warranty by Advance.
Hope my experiences resolve your problems with your vehicle. Good luck and take care.<O:p</O:p
Old March 19th, 2012, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 Equinox lx abs activating

I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox LX 103,777 miles and the ABS is being triggered at low speeds. My wife and children almost got into an accident because of this. What is the fix for this problem? This should be recalled and all these vehicles covered for free!!!!
Old March 19th, 2012, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by AnthonyFranciscoSr
I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox LX 103,777 miles and the ABS is being triggered at low speeds. My wife and children almost got into an accident because of this. What is the fix for this problem? This should be recalled and all these vehicles covered for free!!!!
Bring it in to a shop you trust and let them tell u what sensor it is. mine did the same thing. Abs would engage at low speeds while breaking. You may want to consider pulling the abs fuse so it doesn't engage on you. Good luck
Old March 19th, 2012, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help! Did the motor mount fix it? I'll have to look into this.

It's a light clunk/knock on dry pavement heard at 25mph +
Old March 19th, 2012, 4:44 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> AnthonyFranciscoSr,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble with your Equinox vehicle. "avtj03" offers a great suggestion, it may be a sensor. Does the ABS and/or brake warning lights illuminate?

I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician. They will be able to offer additional information, and repair options, after a physical inspection.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 19th, 2012, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> AnthonyFranciscoSr,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble with your Equinox vehicle. "avtj03" offers a great suggestion, it may be a sensor. Does the ABS and/or brake warning lights illuminate?

I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician. They will be able to offer additional information, and repair options, after a physical inspection.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
In my case there was no warning light. The sensor readings must have been within limits and saw normal operating conditions even though the abs was engaging when it was not supposed to. I feared it may have been a messed up tooth on the hub for the sensor, or the sensor.

I wasn't sure if it was the hub or the sensor, so, I replaced both. (this was all on a guess as to the position. I should have brought it to a tech to hook up to the computer. My guess was based on a visual..front driver side)
Old March 20th, 2012, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Cool

Originally Posted by avtj03
Thanks for the help! Did the motor mount fix it? I'll have to look into this.

It's a light clunk/knock on dry pavement heard at 25mph +
Yes, it fix it. Mine was very damaged when replaced. If you inspect the mount carefully you will note some rusty dry liquid (hydraulic oil) on the rubber. If your mount is defective replace it promtply because if not, might damage other front suspension parts like shaft ends. Try to buy a hydraulic mount, is more expensive, but will absorb better the vibrations in the road than rubber only mounts.
Old March 20th, 2012, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by AnthonyFranciscoSr
I totally agree with you. These should be covered by GM for all the issues noted in this forum.

For this, I suggest to take the vehicle to an authorized GM dealer. They fixed the problem in my case. They first told me to replace the complete hub with the ABS / Speed Sensor since was an assembly. But I did some research before visiting the dealer and I told them that the sensor came alone, that I don't need to buy the complete hub assembly. After this argument they agree with me. They replace the sensor and the same day just after leaving the dealer the sensor light came in again. I took back the vehicle inmediately and then they replaced the wiring harness that connect to the sensor. After this last repair, I have not experienced further problems (knock on wood). Have the dealer replace the wiring harness before replacing the sensor. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems