Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2012, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I finally figured out what the hell that noise was...

It was the damn hub assembly I installed last this last fall. This time I put in a timken and all those noises went away.

NOw to await my next problem with this vehicle

thanks for your guys' help

good luck

we'll see how long this one lasts

Last edited by avtj03; March 20th, 2012 at 8:40 PM.
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:17 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2006 Equinox, my Christmas Gift for 2011 was my ABS, TC and engine light coming on and my breaks acting like I was driving on Ice and not being about to stop. (interesting fact - no ice) Coder reader said I need the Bearing Hub replaced. I did the replacement, problem went away for about 500 miles - 1 day, Christmas Vacation. I pulled up to a stop sign and didn't stop. I started pumping the breaks and I eventually stopped. ABS, TC and Engine Lights were on. Since then the problem has worsened.
I took the Equinox to the Dealer we rode around and the breaks acted up a little and the lights were on. My appointment was set for 2 days later. At that time the lights were not on and the code reader saw NOTHING. I drove away from the Dealer, drove 2 blocks, lights came on!! ABS system jerked a little. the next morning the ABS system FAILED taking me past a stop sign and onto a major highway. Very Lucky for me no one was coming. Dealer Code Readers find nothing... there is something wrong. Does it take drivers ht-boning with a family on board to do something. I really can't afford abandoning my Equinox to get something else. I want my vehicle to run.. and stop would be even better. Dealer Mechanics can't find anything unless it is in the code readers PLEASE HELP THEM. Please help so many of us get this fixed. You can use my vehicle as a text. come and see it

Last edited by Jamac; March 25th, 2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 26th, 2012, 2:17 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Jamac,

Does the red brake light come on too? I'm confused as to why no codes were read if the check engine light was on, something should have come up.

Is this an intermittent issue or does it happen every time you are in the vehicle?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:20 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamac
I have a 2006 Equinox, my Christmas Gift for 2011 was my ABS, TC and engine light coming on and my breaks acting like I was driving on Ice and not being about to stop. (interesting fact - no ice) Coder reader said I need the Bearing Hub replaced. I did the replacement, problem went away for about 500 miles - 1 day, Christmas Vacation. I pulled up to a stop sign and didn't stop. I started pumping the breaks and I eventually stopped. ABS, TC and Engine Lights were on. Since then the problem has worsened.
I took the Equinox to the Dealer we rode around and the breaks acted up a little and the lights were on. My appointment was set for 2 days later. At that time the lights were not on and the code reader saw NOTHING. I drove away from the Dealer, drove 2 blocks, lights came on!! ABS system jerked a little. the next morning the ABS system FAILED taking me past a stop sign and onto a major highway. Very Lucky for me no one was coming. Dealer Code Readers find nothing... there is something wrong. Does it take drivers ht-boning with a family on board to do something. I really can't afford abandoning my Equinox to get something else. I want my vehicle to run.. and stop would be even better. Dealer Mechanics can't find anything unless it is in the code readers PLEASE HELP THEM. Please help so many of us get this fixed. You can use my vehicle as a text. come and see it
It sounds to me like you have other problems aside from the ABS. When the ABS fails, your regular brakes work fine. They will just lock-up during panic stops if you simply hold the brake pedal to the floor instead of pumping it like you should on a car that doesn't have ABS. If the engine stalled or came close to stalling when you were trying to stop, this would explain seeing all the lights come on without storing any troublecodes.

How many miles are on the vehicle?
When was the last time the brakes were checked and/or replaced?
When was the electrical system last checked?
Has the battery ever been replaced?
When was the last engine tune up?

Last edited by ruley73; March 26th, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old March 29th, 2012, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Jamac,

Does the red brake light come on too? I'm confused as to why no codes were read if the check engine light was on, something should have come up.

Is this an intermittent issue or does it happen every time you are in the vehicle?

Louis
GM Customer Service
It's because the sensors think they are seeing a "normal" condition. By "normal" I mean the sensor sees a situation from that hub and engages the abs when it is actually not needed (hence the not stopping as fast and brakes releasing). Chevy needs to really consider making some type of recall. I have the exact same problems as others and have narrowed it down to my front drivers side hub assembly. I plead with you to vigilantly look into this, as this is somewhat of a common and dangerous problem around a certain mileage for '05-06's.

Thank you and good luck to others,
Andrew
Old March 30th, 2012, 2:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> avtj03,

I have researched the 2006 Equinox vehicle, but am unable to find any known ABS, TC or brake issues within my resources. Ruley 73, brings up some interesting questions to take into consideration.

It can be very difficult to diagnose a problem if it cannot be duplicated and/or codes are not produced. You may want to try a different dealer, possibly have them drive the vehicle, so the issue can be duplicated.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 1st, 2012, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> avtj03,

I have researched the 2006 Equinox vehicle, but am unable to find any known ABS, TC or brake issues within my resources. Ruley 73, brings up some interesting questions to take into consideration.

It can be very difficult to diagnose a problem if it cannot be duplicated and/or codes are not produced. You may want to try a different dealer, possibly have them drive the vehicle, so the issue can be duplicated.

Louis
GM Customer Service
You're right it is very difficult to diagnose a problem if you cannot duplicate it. I know because it took me weeks to figure out wtf was going on because I could not duplicate the defect. My wife told be the exact same problem of not stopping at stop signs and a weird noise (abs pumping).

It's very obvious that the ABS sensors are seeing a "locked wheel" situation. In my case, it was a bad hub assembly. It's a simple fix if you know what hub and the sensor comes with it. I got lucky on mine and guessed (looked rusty compared to others) it on the first try.

I don't know if you can go into the ecu to see a history of the vehicle's sensor. If you could, you should be able see what hub.
Old April 1st, 2012, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox with the ABS acting up when coming to a stop. There are no warning lights (ABS or traction control) on the dash when this happens. Below 5 mph, the ABS activates when the brakes are applied, as if a wheel is locking up.

After researching this problem, it may be a bad ABS sensor harness, possibly part number 22715444, which can be ordered online from gmpartsdirect.com for $35.61.

I have not determined if this is definitely the problem with my Equinox, but figured I'd post the info I have discovered so far, so that hopefully we can resolve this issue faster. I have also not determined if this harness is the same for the left and right sides, or even front to rear, so do your research before you order anything. I have not even been under my vehicle yet to physically check the harnesses, so my research is preliminary.

Of course, there are other causes to ABS problems. I am not suggesting this harness will fix anyone else's problem. I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:20 AM
CF Beginner

Chevy Customer Service and Ruley79, My ABS breaks are not failing in the way of not working, they are Failing in the way. THEY ARE WORKING WHEN THERE IS NO NEED FOR THEM. I only started pumping my breaks in hopes of getting some other response from the breaks that the unnecessary ABS. The engine does not fail and all lights do not come on when I press the breaks.
I have 90,000 miles, regular check ups and oil change, ABS and TC and check engine lights are not on constantly only once in a while and sometimes they are not on when I have the ABS problems. Me breaks were replaces last summer and had worked fine. They are still in fine shape. The drives side hub was replaced in December. This is not a unique problem as I am reading.. Put it all together and figure this out. You are welcome to my car for your testing

Last edited by Jamac; April 2nd, 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: To whom it may concern
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

Avtj03, my problem can and has been duplicated and it still says left side hub.. I have agreed to let the dealer replace the hub (for the second time). Not at my expense... Unless the problem is fixed. I have no faith in the "fix" and as I haul my children to school every day I pray the breaks work and the ABS keeps giving me something.. Hopefully you will soon think this is the problem it really is

Quick Reply: 2006 Chevy Equinox LT ABS and Traction Control Light Problems