Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2008 Equinox overheating issue at idle - sucking air?

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2020, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Find the highest point to bleed the air

Originally Posted by ajparry89
Hello everybody,
I just replaced the head gaskets on my 2008 equinox 3.4L, it runs great, no issues there. however I seem to be having a hard time getting all the air out. blows hot air in the heater, so thats good. I am aware of the bleeder screw above the water pump, and opened that to let the air out until coolant flowed out. but after driving it and then letting it idle, it then continues to overheat, and when i check that bleeder, there is more air there. i have repeated this process multiple times, and have added about an additional gallon of coolant above what I originally filled it with when i finished the job (which was between 1-2 gallons), and still there is always air at that bleeder screw every time i check after the temp rises.

are there any other tricks to bleeding the air out of these? or is this a process that just needs to be repeated continually until its done? any step-by-step procedures others follow to successfully bleed them properly/quicker? Is there any possible way that it could be sucking air into the system somehow? I have never head of that, and would think that I would notice coolant leaks before air got sucked in - but no leaks. and if air was coming from a cylinder, I would have a bad miss and or burning coolant as well, but none of that.

Thanks for all the help/advice!
You need to get that corner of the car where the bleeder screw is up high possibly can jack it up or parking on a hill. Good luck
Old August 19th, 2020, 9:45 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bearbait
Originally Posted by bearbait
One is above water pump and other is by thermostat
No, a video showing a 3.4L in an Impala doesn't help at all. That's the older 3.4L engine that I mentioned earlier which does have two bleeders.

The Equinox/Torrent 3.4L has the same general design, but also has many differences. One of them is that it has one bleeder screw. Another difference is that the thermostat housing mounts to the side of the lower intake rather than the top. You can clearly see this in the video below which shows a 2007-2009 Pontiac Torrent. I can tell it's not a 2006 because it wouldn't have the driver information center if it were.