Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2013, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry having same noise issues with my Equinox!

Having same noise issues now with my 2010 Equinox. Also have seen posts with other 2010s using oil, have that too and have already had transmission problem in this 3 yr old car! Ridiculous! I've ALWAYS owned Chevys but now am reconsidering. Car goes back to the dealer tomorrow so we'll see what they say this time. They are always very nice but I am fed up with taking time off work.
Old July 12th, 2013, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Hi there a newbie here - I have a 2010 Equinox as well and have noticed the noise since purchasing it new from a dealership here in Toronto. I have had it regularly maintained and never missed an oil change. I mentioned the rattle to the service manager in my first year of ownership and he said that this noise was typical with the model/engine. At the time I took it as truth, not a GM "story" that they are scripted to tell. However, the rattle (there's hissing/pinging too but they don't bother me as much) is now really starting to get to me. It sounds like something is about to fall off the bottom of the car.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution to the rattling issue. It is disturbing that GM has not stepped up to resolve this issue through the dealerships, but I expect they hope people will not talk/use forums. My car now has 68,000 kms (42,000 mi) on it and the warranty has run out. This was one of GM's savior models after the big reorganization and I really thought that the company would change their methods. I'm extremely disappointed (and obviously frustrated) and will likely end up selling/trading this car in for something more reliable.
Great looking car, great gas mileage, great features -- but the car quality is absolutely horrible. WHERE IS GM in all of this???
Old October 5th, 2013, 2:39 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Angry 2010 Chevrolet Equinox Issues

I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox-55,000 miles...warranty-7 years/100,000 miles. So, I already had (1) Engine replace almost a year ago. Then, 2 months ago the Engine warning lights came on regularly for a few months, resulting in repeat trips to the dealership & many accusations of 'phantom' problems. Recently, two months ago, another technician performed a 'wire repair' to fix the engine light issue.

Luckily, that has not been an issue for 2 months. But, for the past 2 months, when I start my truck it sounds like a broken lawn mower...very LOUD and EMBARRASSING!!! After ten minutes of torture, the noise slowly fades. I cannot receive satisfaction in any form from my dealer. I am worried that if this issue isn't handled before the 100,000 mark, then I will be liable....
Old October 7th, 2013, 1:39 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby W
I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox-55,000 miles...warranty-7 years/100,000 miles. So, I already had (1) Engine replace almost a year ago. Then, 2 months ago the Engine warning lights came on regularly for a few months, resulting in repeat trips to the dealership & many accusations of 'phantom' problems. Recently, two months ago, another technician performed a 'wire repair' to fix the engine light issue.

Luckily, that has not been an issue for 2 months. But, for the past 2 months, when I start my truck it sounds like a broken lawn mower...very LOUD and EMBARRASSING!!! After ten minutes of torture, the noise slowly fades. I cannot receive satisfaction in any form from my dealer. I am worried that if this issue isn't handled before the 100,000 mark, then I will be liable....
Hello Bobby W,

I am sorry for the vehicle issues you are experiencing with your 2010 Equinox. I understand how the noise is a concern for you. Please reach out to us via private message so we can further discuss your current situation. Include your contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name and location of the dealer you have worked with. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Erica Tiffany)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 9th, 2013, 3:19 AM
CF Beginner

I just came across this forum searching for answers on my 2010 Equinox. It has been having a loud rattling sound and the car shakes really bad when I'm at a red light. I just bought the car in April 2013 and did not expect to be going through this! I traded in a POS, and I after reading all this seems like I got another POS. The car has only 42k. I am not sure what I'm suppose to do now, the noise has became increasingly loud today and so this is what triggered my search. Can anyone guide me on what to do? Do I need to take it back to the dealership or do I contact GM directly? I really hope this is a minor problem that could be fix and not the beginning of another car nightmare.
Old November 9th, 2013, 5:20 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by pmany0324
I just came across this forum searching for answers on my 2010 Equinox. It has been having a loud rattling sound and the car shakes really bad when I'm at a red light. I just bought the car in April 2013 and did not expect to be going through this! I traded in a POS, and I after reading all this seems like I got another POS. The car has only 42k. I am not sure what I'm suppose to do now, the noise has became increasingly loud today and so this is what triggered my search. Can anyone guide me on what to do? Do I need to take it back to the dealership or do I contact GM directly? I really hope this is a minor problem that could be fix and not the beginning of another car nightmare.
Hi pmany0324

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention and we're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this rattling noise in your vehicle. I recognize your frustration with this and would like to try and help with your concerns. In order to do so, can you please PM us your VIN, contact information and the name of your preferred GM/ Chevy dealership? Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 8th, 2013, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Another unhappy 2010 owner

Hi everyone, I've been searching for a new vehicle to replace my junk. I bought this on Dec 29th 2009, and have had this noise issue since day 1. I've had it back to the dealership several times for other things, noting the noise (and oil consumption) but have always been told it's normal.
I purchased it from Murray's in Winnipeg and am just wondering if there are any other Manitoban's out their that have taken their vehicles to a dealership that will actually do something? I did get a notice from GM that states that their is an issue with the engine and that I should "leave the notice in the glove compartment until there is a failure"... a lot of good a piece of paper is going to do me when I'm stranded on the highway in the middle of a cold winter night (I guess I can set it on fire and keep warn to 40 seconds!).

Kevin
Old December 8th, 2013, 2:43 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by flyingscubakev
Hi everyone, I've been searching for a new vehicle to replace my junk. I bought this on Dec 29th 2009, and have had this noise issue since day 1. I've had it back to the dealership several times for other things, noting the noise (and oil consumption) but have always been told it's normal.
I purchased it from Murray's in Winnipeg and am just wondering if there are any other Manitoban's out their that have taken their vehicles to a dealership that will actually do something? I did get a notice from GM that states that their is an issue with the engine and that I should "leave the notice in the glove compartment until there is a failure"... a lot of good a piece of paper is going to do me when I'm stranded on the highway in the middle of a cold winter night (I guess I can set it on fire and keep warn to 40 seconds!).

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

I recognize your frustration with this situation, and am very sorry that this noise has been unresolved. If you'd like to PM us your full name, VIN, address and contact information, we'd be happy to forward your information to our international customer assistance team.

Thank you,

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 12th, 2013, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Angry

I purchased a 2010 equinox LS in August of 2010 and shortly after noticed the raspy noise as well. I couldn't tell if something was loose or the sound was coming from inside the engine. I've been told the same thing, it's normal for this engine. No one even considered looking into the issue at the dealer. I received a letter from Chevrolet in July of 2013 that indicated the chrome layer on the balance chain pins may wear allowing the chain to stretch. This would casuse an engine noise and if left untreated could cause the chain to break leading to engine damage. The dealer when showed the letter said it's no big deal and didn't do anything about it. Sounds like Chevy knows there's a problem with the vehicle and have instructed dealers to brush off fixing them unless the engine breaks as a result of the problems.
Today the check engine light came on so I took it to Autozone to have them scan the computer and the code said that the ECM has detected the desired camshaft position and actual position do not agree. I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow but I believe Chevy knows about the problems with this engine.
Want out of the car but can't get much for it.

Signed
Regret I bought it
Old December 13th, 2013, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

I bought a 2010 Chevy Equinox 2.4L from the original owner 5 months ago with 96,000 miles on it. I noticed a rattling noise at idle. He said he had complained of the same thing to the dealer and brought it in twice to get it fixed. He showed me the dealer records detailing he had complained twice about this noise, and at 68,000 miles, the dealer finally replaced and timing chain and tensioner. He said the noise was still there, and dealer said that is just the sound the engine makes.

Since I started driving it, I noticed oil consumption but no leaks. The oil consumption appeared to increase, and at my latest oil change at 105,000 miles, the mechanic said he didn't see leaks either and didn't know why the engine was using oil. This week, I was driving, and the rattling noise was noticeably louder. The car has 107,000 miles. It was well below 0 degrees here, and I thought it was just cold weather. The check engine light came on in 5 miles, so I stopped at a Autozone to get a code read. They said the engine was misfiring in one of the pistons. I put fuel injector cleaner and went home to change the spark plugs. The sound did not go away. It now sounds like a diesel engine. I brought it to another mechanic and he said the engine is shot. He thinks the timing chain and the vales are damaged.

My question for Chevy is how could there not be a recall on this engine by now? There are thousands of complaints about this on many forums and the 10,000+ Youtube views of this gentlemen who documented the same rattling sound in his Equinox and 2nd video showing the results of the dealers "fix".

How to I pursue Chevy to get a new engine in this car? Yes the car is out of warranty, but the "fix" the dealer did at 68,000 miles clearly did not fix the problem when they tell the previous owner "that's just the sound the engine makes".
I had such high hopes for this car as I have a 2004 Saturn Vue with the 2.2L engine with 180,000 miles and never any engine problems. I thought my Equniox 2.4L engine would be an improvement, but clearly this engine has structural design flaws, and I'm wondering why Chevy hasn't owned up to their poor engine design with a recall?

Any ideas on how I can approach Chevy and get a solution?

Jeremy

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay