Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2013, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hashbrown,

I would like to help you get this resolved. Could you please message me your full contact information including your full name, address and phone number. I will also need your VIN. I want to have someone look into this for you to get a resolution.

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
I am having this same issue and others. 2010 Equinox has loud exhaust sound and under engine as well, I was told by dealership it was normal. I was also told it was the exhaust manifold. Vehicle dies while coming to a stop as well. vehicle fills with exhaust smell inside with our 3 kids in it. please help, bigtom74501@gmail.com
Old December 14th, 2013, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

Default Help

I am having this same issue and others. 2010 Equinox has loud exhaust sound and under engine as well, I was told by dealership it was normal. I was also told it was the exhaust manifold. Vehicle dies while coming to a stop as well. vehicle fills with exhaust smell inside with our 3 kids in it. please help, bigtom74501@gmail.com
Old December 14th, 2013, 1:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbooly
I bought a 2010 Chevy Equinox 2.4L from the original owner 5 months ago with 96,000 miles on it. I noticed a rattling noise at idle. He said he had complained of the same thing to the dealer and brought it in twice to get it fixed. He showed me the dealer records detailing he had complained twice about this noise, and at 68,000 miles, the dealer finally replaced and timing chain and tensioner. He said the noise was still there, and dealer said that is just the sound the engine makes.

Since I started driving it, I noticed oil consumption but no leaks. The oil consumption appeared to increase, and at my latest oil change at 105,000 miles, the mechanic said he didn't see leaks either and didn't know why the engine was using oil. This week, I was driving, and the rattling noise was noticeably louder. The car has 107,000 miles. It was well below 0 degrees here, and I thought it was just cold weather. The check engine light came on in 5 miles, so I stopped at a Autozone to get a code read. They said the engine was misfiring in one of the pistons. I put fuel injector cleaner and went home to change the spark plugs. The sound did not go away. It now sounds like a diesel engine. I brought it to another mechanic and he said the engine is shot. He thinks the timing chain and the vales are damaged.

My question for Chevy is how could there not be a recall on this engine by now? There are thousands of complaints about this on many forums and the 10,000+ Youtube views of this gentlemen who documented the same rattling sound in his Equinox and 2nd video showing the results of the dealers "fix".
2012-05-06 2011 Chevrolet Equinox Tapping or Ticking Noise in Engine - YouTube
2012-05-10 Tapping Noise in 2011 Equinox after Fix - YouTube

How to I pursue Chevy to get a new engine in this car? Yes the car is out of warranty, but the "fix" the dealer did at 68,000 miles clearly did not fix the problem when they tell the previous owner "that's just the sound the engine makes".
I had such high hopes for this car as I have a 2004 Saturn Vue with the 2.2L engine with 180,000 miles and never any engine problems. I thought my Equniox 2.4L engine would be an improvement, but clearly this engine has structural design flaws, and I'm wondering why Chevy hasn't owned up to their poor engine design with a recall?

Any ideas on how I can approach Chevy and get a solution?

Jeremy
Hello Jeremy,

We're available to check into this for you. Please private message us more details (your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your preferred dealership). I cannot guarantee anything up front, but we will review this situation.

Sarah (Assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 14th, 2013, 1:08 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by bigtom74501
The invitation to private message is open to all experiencing this concern, bigtom.

Best,
Sarah (Assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 18th, 2013, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, took the 2010 Nox to the dealer for low power, stability service light and oil consumption on monday night....just got a call from the dealer..needs a new Throttle body $448. + tax.....and guess what else??? New Pistons!!!!! Supposedly that will fix the oil consumption issue....its covered under the 5y 100K warranty. Just wish the throttle body was covered.

Last edited by 1badBlueSS; December 18th, 2013 at 9:08 AM.
Old December 18th, 2013, 9:02 AM
Official GM Rep

1badBlueSS,

I know unexpected repair cost can be frustrating. I am glad to see you are working with your dealership to have your concerns repaired.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 19th, 2013, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
1badBlueSS,

I know unexpected repair cost can be frustrating. I am glad to see you are working with your dealership to have your concerns repaired.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

The acutal cost was $269.05 for the throttle body. They didnt charge me any labor because they had to remove it to get to the pistons. So i am still upset that the TB went bad. But its alot less than what was quoted. They also fixed a cracked exhaust manifold under warranty also.
Old December 20th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Official GM Rep

1badBlueSS,

Thank you for the details. I am sorry to hear your TB had this concern. If you have any other concerns or questions in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 26th, 2013, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

We purchased a 2010 used equinox this year. That was the first thing I noticed, the raspy sound of the engine. I was told that it was natural, but I still do not like it. I am assuming that these are all 4 cylinders units. Other than the sound, everything else seems to be fine
Old December 26th, 2013, 8:40 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

farwin01 welcome to the forum...

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay