Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2014, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Issues

Nice vehicle, purchased new. BUT, have had the following replaced: radio, water pump, fuel pump, timing chains/tensioners, AC condensor, had engine light come on twice, both times I had ONSTAR run diagnostics, error code was P0300 (engine misfire), at 50,000 just a few miles before the fuel pump was replaced, the car started having a "bumping" feeling when going down a very slight incline on the highway....felt as if it was not getting fuel (cutting-out)...dealership said it was "changing gears"....Really?... I AM female, but not quite THAT stupid. Actually the first time, they said they "could not duplicate". I hate that - it is as if I am lying. So, I told them exactly WHERE to drive it -the exact mile marker, what speed to drive, etc....viola!!! They recognized the problem. That was 50,000. It now has 67,000 and the issue is still there. NOW, another engine light, another "misfire" code. What to do, what to do. Dealership is SO nice, but, I am seriously concerned the issues will "ride" until warranty is gone, THEN it's on my shoulders. I have even told dealership to read the blogs online. I'd think they would want to be the "hero" and solve this for all the owners with this same concern.

Last edited by myra3ltz; February 7th, 2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: ...... 2010 Equinox LTZ......also has the "fuel injector rattle" (was there when I drove it off the lot, "normal??"
Old March 4th, 2014, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

yes and i have been fighting the dealer o look at. Have you had any luck?
Old March 4th, 2014, 7:42 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you guys are having this concern. If you would like for us to reach out to your dealership on your behalf, please do not hesitate to reach out via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default HIGH pressure fuel pump, and vacuum hose

Originally Posted by myra3ltz
Nice vehicle, purchased new. BUT, have had the following replaced: radio, water pump, fuel pump, timing chains/tensioners, AC condensor, had engine light come on twice, both times I had ONSTAR run diagnostics, error code was P0300 (engine misfire), at 50,000 just a few miles before the fuel pump was replaced, the car started having a "bumping" feeling when going down a very slight incline on the highway....felt as if it was not getting fuel (cutting-out)...dealership said it was "changing gears"....Really?... I AM female, but not quite THAT stupid. Actually the first time, they said they "could not duplicate". I hate that - it is as if I am lying. So, I told them exactly WHERE to drive it -the exact mile marker, what speed to drive, etc....viola!!! They recognized the problem. That was 50,000. It now has 67,000 and the issue is still there. NOW, another engine light, another "misfire" code. What to do, what to do. Dealership is SO nice, but, I am seriously concerned the issues will "ride" until warranty is gone, THEN it's on my shoulders. I have even told dealership to read the blogs online. I'd think they would want to be the "hero" and solve this for all the owners with this same concern.

For what ever reason no dealerships want to help with this issue. The Corporate people in Detroit act like they will help and tell you who to deal with at the dealership then when you do the customer satisfaction people are less than helpful and many are down right rude. I just had my timing chain and water pump replaced for the 3rd time in 18 months. I was covered AGAIN under manufacturers warranty. I too had the misfire code it turned out to be a high pressure fuel pump. It was also covered under the drive train warranty. This particular year is an albotross. I had enough and traded it in taking a huge loss. I am now the owner of a 2014 kia optima ex and will NEVER EVER NEVER buy a GM product again. The lack of concern for a clearly faulty product is shameful. I wish you all the best but suggest instead of fight a losing battle, walk away while you can, AND warn others.
Old March 5th, 2014, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Makes me sick reading all of these!!! I'm am just at the start of the high oil consumption tracking and am not getting the service expected!! Once again my vechial needed to go in because it was down huge amounts of oil! After doing reg consumption checks every 2000 km at the dealership now they are asking me to come every 1500km, after insisting that I wanted something done about the problem before more damage was done and my warranty ran out i was told... " you wouldn't believe what people will do to get stuff covered under warranty!'.... Ummm are u kidding me!!! Maybe that wouldn't happen with customers if you'd stand behind your word and product.!!! What are they waiting for my warranty to run out before they want to do any work!!! And let's not forget.... I pay for that warranty!!!!
Old March 6th, 2014, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

after Gm fixed my timing chain problems I think my oil consumption is gone, so maybe they fixed something else at the same time. im crossing my fingers.

im about to buy another vehicle and theres no way im buying GM. going to look at a dodge as my jeep patriot is solid as a rock, no pun.
Old March 7th, 2014, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Velcomrob
after Gm fixed my timing chain problems I think my oil consumption is gone, so maybe they fixed something else at the same time. im crossing my fingers.

im about to buy another vehicle and theres no way im buying GM. going to look at a dodge as my jeep patriot is solid as a rock, no pun.
They are two unrelated issues according to my dealer. I had mine done then noticed it was low on oil. So we ran consumption test and sure enough it's using more than a quart every 1000 miles. Funny part after each time it was low I had to request they fill it back up. They were going to let me drive off. The fix is $2500 but.. Another GM dealership warned me that once they tear it apart it would likely need a new engine which would be closer to $6500. At which time they would not put it back together until I did the entire engine.

Sorry I wish they had fixed your issue but I'm almost certain you are still consuming oil.
Old March 7th, 2014, 7:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello,

I am sorry to hear you guys are having this concern. If you would like for us to reach out to your dealership on your behalf, please do not hesitate to reach out via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
I wish you guys had covered mine instead of pushing it aside and saying. Due to lack of vehicle history bla bla. I don't care about vehicle history because this is clearly not a one time occurrence. On top of that even if every Equinox owner changed their oil at the intervals that the oil life monitor told them they would have been changing at 12k miles. That is even after they updated them. To me that negates any abuse in terms of lack of oil changes. Simply because a lot of people run off that monitor for changes. GM is garbage, at least for this vehicle. People will say don't let one vehicle deter you from GM but how can I risk it? I have purchased used Dodges, Fords, Toyotas, all at 150k miles when purchased never any issues. My 2010 equinox, the most expensive, needs a new motor at 120k miles. Total BS. GM you failed me and I will not go away and will keep posting about this issue until I die. I also warn everyone I know so I'm sure that makes them go straight to GM
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tprice07
They are two unrelated issues according to my dealer. I had mine done then noticed it was low on oil. So we ran consumption test and sure enough it's using more than a quart every 1000 miles. Funny part after each time it was low I had to request they fill it back up. They were going to let me drive off. The fix is $2500 but.. Another GM dealership warned me that once they tear it apart it would likely need a new engine which would be closer to $6500. At which time they would not put it back together until I did the entire engine.

Sorry I wish they had fixed your issue but I'm almost certain you are still consuming oil.
you are right I spoke to soon. it's still eating oil.

I remember at start it asked to change oil between 12000 - 15000km. I thought perhaps that wasn't normal. I remember my BMW going that long but it used full synthetic mobile 1 oil. So im assuming because of their crappy oil indicator it caused damage. From that point I've been changing it at 5000km.

Their reps are useless, all they do is tell you to go to the dealer and keep them informed. But they don't really help anything. Then you talk to the dealer and they say do the consumption test. One time the dealer told me my engine was sweating due to oil consumption. I was about to fall on the floor laughing. Every vehicle I've owned this is the first vehicle to eat oil. Now I cant trust GM any longer. I had an escalade and it gave me no problems. Lucky Chrysler is owned by Fiat as they are looking better in quality now.

I noticed another thing, whenever I leave ECO mode on it tends to give me more problems so I've left it off ever since to reduce any problems popping up.
Old March 14th, 2014, 2:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Equinox LS

Just purchased a 2014 today, looking foward to getting to know this 2.4L 4 cylinder motor. Are these issues only with the 2010 nox's? Trust me people I got the extended warranty and told the dealer I will nickel and dime you for everything. If they tell me this is normal stuff when it has these issues I will throw in their face I have a 16 year old explorer that doesn't consume oil or make these engine noises and it has a rear main seal leak and still holds oil capacity at its changes. My next question is, this is a DOHC engine, and it's chain driven, but is it interference and do guides and stuff tend to break and cause engine damage? For those of you who don't know what I mean interference is if that chain/belt which comes loose or breaks the valves and pistons will collide and trash the motor. I apologize if I sound like a jerk. How many chains does this thing have and is the transmission a sealed unit or something I can service myself? after my 2yrs is up? I am mechanically inclined and they will not take me for a fool at the dealership, like they found out today when I bought the car.

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay