Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2014, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I started this thread about 3 years ago. I see that it's 16 pages big and getting bigger. I'm sorry to hear that all of you are having the same issues and headaches I had with the POS Equinox. I still get email notices from this forum whenever new post comes up. It's been little over 2 years since I traded in the 2010 Equinox with 40k miles on it for a 2012 Ford Edge. Now, the Edge has 40k miles.. I figured I'd give you my experience with it and give it a comparison.
I won't go into too much details about the Equinox. We all know it's a POS and that's why we're all on this forum. The Equinox had a terrible raspy noise and ticks from Day 1. It also had something slide around inside the center console every time I took a turn. It wouldn't have been so bad if the dealer and GM actually took it's time and fixed the problem. I may still have the Equinox. We all know that's not the case. GM and the dealer continuously denied the problem and never looked into it.
Here is my experience with the Edge. I traded in the Equinox for the Edge in May of 2012. I got it with all the options my wife wanted, since I felt so sorry for her that she had to put up with the Equinox for 2 years. Since the purchase, we've only had to take it into the dealer 4 times for oil change. Oil change every 10,000 miles with synthetic blend. It doesn't burn oil, the engine is as quiet as it was the day I drove it home, and the transmission shifts smoothly. Zero complaints.
I've always been an import guy.. my wife a domestic girl. I've owned Japanese/German cars mostly for my self. The Equinox was the first domestic I've bought, the Edge being the second. As I've mentioned few years ago, I will never buy another car from GOVERNMENT MOTOR COMPANY. The way they treat their customer is infuriating. I now know why they had to be bailed out. Ford has been nothing but wonderful in past 2 years. In fact, I'm so impressed with their customer service and dealer interaction, I am planning to buy me a 2015 Mustang GT Convertible from the same dealer when it hits the showroom. The recent recalls for the ignition switch on GM vehicles that they IGNORED for 10+ years just shows you their track record. People DIED!! Government Motor Company need to wake up before they go bankrupt again, and hopefully this time the government won't be their to hold their hand.
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem!!!!

Flashback. My 2010 Chevy equinox is stalling again. Engine light is on again. Still has raspy noise. They just put a rebuilt transition in that stupid car less than a year ago. I hate this car and chevret. Oh my God. And the trouble I hAve gone through with this company is invariable I just want them to buy this car back or give me something else. Rochelle Barasa is done with this car
Old May 18th, 2014, 3:55 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rochelle Robinson
Flashback. My 2010 Chevy equinox is stalling again. Engine light is on again. Still has raspy noise. They just put a rebuilt transition in that stupid car less than a year ago. I hate this car and chevret. Oh my God. And the trouble I hAve gone through with this company is invariable I just want them to buy this car back or give me something else. Rochelle Barasa is done with this car

Hello Rochelle Robinson,

We are sorry to hear of the concerns you are experiencing with your 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. We'd be happy to look further into the concerns you are experiencing and connect with your dealership for further information. Please send us a private message if additional assistance is needed. Thank you!

Andraya R. (assisting Jessica)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 25th, 2014, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 1badBlueSS
Well, took the 2010 Nox to the dealer for low power, stability service light and oil consumption on monday night....just got a call from the dealer..needs a new Throttle body $448. + tax.....and guess what else??? New Pistons!!!!! Supposedly that will fix the oil consumption issue....its covered under the 5y 100K warranty. Just wish the throttle body was covered.
everyone who has this issue should check out the high pressure fuel pump.. Mine had the same issues and GM tried minimizing it until i took it to a dealer and told them what it was.. In the end i had my engine rebuilt, cracked exhaust manifold, no oil in the engine, sagging rings, defective cam solonoid, catalytic converter.. all was replaced and rebuilt,, still ran like ****.. took to mechanic, exhaust manifold was cracked again.. still runs like ****.. car is 4 yr old and the AC compressor just went and i think the exhaust manifold is cracked again.. ever since the Gubment bought GM out the product sucks.. great job
Old July 6th, 2014, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 2010 Equinox - Noise, Rattle, Oil, Shifting Problems

I am the original owner of my 2010 Chevy Equinox. Before my car hit 25,000 miles the engine stalled and went out. They replaced the Fuel Injection in it which they said was the problem. Another time I went into the dealer after I had an oil change and they said I had no oil in my car which apparently my car keeps eating oil. From the beginning when I bought this car, I have had engine noise and rattle so bad that even strangers have told there is something wrong with my car. I have taken it in thinking it may have been my timing chain or that my engine is going out but the dealer keeps telling me this is normal for the Equinox and won't do anything. Now I have over 80,000 on my car and getting close to my 100k warranty and getting nervous since my car is almost paid off in less a year, I am afraid my car is going to die eventually as soon as that number hits. Please Help...I don't know how to convince the dealer that maybe a new engine needs to happen. I am afraid to every by a Chevy again after this!
Old July 7th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by josal
I am the original owner of my 2010 Chevy Equinox. Before my car hit 25,000 miles the engine stalled and went out. They replaced the Fuel Injection in it which they said was the problem. Another time I went into the dealer after I had an oil change and they said I had no oil in my car which apparently my car keeps eating oil. From the beginning when I bought this car, I have had engine noise and rattle so bad that even strangers have told there is something wrong with my car. I have taken it in thinking it may have been my timing chain or that my engine is going out but the dealer keeps telling me this is normal for the Equinox and won't do anything. Now I have over 80,000 on my car and getting close to my 100k warranty and getting nervous since my car is almost paid off in less a year, I am afraid my car is going to die eventually as soon as that number hits. Please Help...I don't know how to convince the dealer that maybe a new engine needs to happen. I am afraid to every by a Chevy again after this!
Hi josal,

We'd be happy to further investigate your concerns and begin a case for you within our system. We're sorry to hear that your experience has led you to reconsider purchasing Chevy products in the future. We understand the importance of having vehicle issues addressed while still within warranty, since unexpected repairs can be costly. Please private message us your VIN, full contact information, exact mileage and dealership name and we can begin looking into this matter for you. We hope to hear from you soon.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 8th, 2014, 4:02 AM
CF Beginner

I too have the same trouble. My car EATS gas, rattles so loud my friends call it Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and when I pull into a parking lot strangers tell me I have (insert any or all) manifold, transmission, timing belt, oil, etc problems. I have gone to more than one Chevy dealer and was told that is just how that car is. Well, if that is so, why didn't it sound like that when I bought it. I have written to GM. They gave me a case number and said they would call me. Still waiting for that call.

CHEVY- we know you are reading these - or you are making random comments to make us think you are reading them. Google "2010" (or 11, or 12, or 13) Chevrolet Equinox rattle or trouble or problem and you will find THOUSANDS of issues from angry owners, including many that have endangered the lives of people and their families.

I don't want a free car, I just want the car I own to work properly. I am so tired of changing the oil every 2000 miles, or less.

BOARD MEMBERS: Please private message me for a website you should see, that might offer some assistance.
Old July 8th, 2014, 7:58 AM
Official GM Rep

Hi pennyp,

We apologize for the frustrations caused by these vehicle concerns. Please continue to work with your agent as they are in the best position to assist you at this time. You are welcome to send a private message with your case number so we may check on the progress.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by pennyp
I too have the same trouble. My car EATS gas, rattles so loud my friends call it Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and when I pull into a parking lot strangers tell me I have (insert any or all) manifold, transmission, timing belt, oil, etc problems. I have gone to more than one Chevy dealer and was told that is just how that car is. Well, if that is so, why didn't it sound like that when I bought it. I have written to GM. They gave me a case number and said they would call me. Still waiting for that call.

CHEVY- we know you are reading these - or you are making random comments to make us think you are reading them. Google "2010" (or 11, or 12, or 13) Chevrolet Equinox rattle or trouble or problem and you will find THOUSANDS of issues from angry owners, including many that have endangered the lives of people and their families.

I don't want a free car, I just want the car I own to work properly. I am so tired of changing the oil every 2000 miles, or less.

BOARD MEMBERS: Please private message me for a website you should see, that might offer some assistance.
Old July 8th, 2014, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down GM is horrible

Josal, the issue with your vehicle is caused by the fact that GM went and released this vehicle with KNOWN issues. The high pressure fuel pump in the 2010 2.4l is at fault. It is way over pressurized and will over fill and eventually destroy your engine. it filled MY crank case with gas and the gas evaporated the oil.. .. @ 36000 miles i discovered this myself.. I took the car to the dealer and forced them to investigate the matter. the dealer i took it too in Pennsylvania tried to skirt the issue so i then took it to the selling dealer in NY.. they ended up replacing the fuel pump, the piston rings, the exhaust manifold, and such.. basically rebuilt my entire engine.. Well i asked GM what would happen if there were future issues caused by this horrific mess. they said they would take care of it.3 months later my catalytic converter went. they covered that and gave me a free yr of onstar.. . they are full of crap.. i hit the 100,000 mark and they acted like it was all me now.. I contacted a lawyer and unfortunately i settled for much less than i should have but hey take what you can..since then, i have had to replace my exhaust manifold twice more. I have an embarrassing noise continually while driving due to the AC compressor going bad and quite frankly, untI am an American, i love my country but i will never buy another General motors Piece of **** from GM again.. i have converted 25 of my family members(i have 280) and do not plan to stop until GM makes good on the crap they sold us.. good day

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi josal,

We'd be happy to further investigate your concerns and begin a case for you within our system. We're sorry to hear that your experience has led you to reconsider purchasing Chevy products in the future. We understand the importance of having vehicle issues addressed while still within warranty, since unexpected repairs can be costly. Please private message us your VIN, full contact information, exact mileage and dealership name and we can begin looking into this matter for you. We hope to hear from you soon.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 17th, 2014, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default timing chain replacement

I am trying to get Grossman Chevy old saybrook to fix the timing chain before it fails completely. VIN: ...A6279166.

8604346766. Thompsonsct@Hotmail.com

Last edited by thompsonsct; July 17th, 2014 at 10:04 PM. Reason: do not know how to Private message on this site.

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay