Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2014, 1:56 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by thompsonsct
I am trying to get Grossman Chevy old saybrook to fix the timing chain before it fails completely. VIN: ...A6279166.

8604346766. Thompsonsct@Hotmail.com
We've sent you a private message that may answer some of your questions, thompsonsct. When you get a chance to read it over, let us know if you happen to have additional questions.

Thanks,
Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you get GM to cover any future issues you may have resulting from oil consumption, High pressure fuel pump, or cracked exhaust manifold.. MY equinox is out of warranty by 30g miles but i have had to replace the exhaust manifold every year.. It costs 300 dollars and today i was told by my mechanic that this is a huge problem with this vehicle.. GM has taken a hefty turn downhill. for confirmation my mechanic is Burnzy's auto in Bartonsville PA.
Old July 29th, 2014, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Wish me luck! Taking my 2010 Equinox with 36,000 miles on it in tomorrow. I've had intermittent knocks that started getting worse recently and the check engine light has gone on intermittently over the past week while I've been waiting to get the car in. On Star diagnostics told me it was a P0324 error which seems to be something relating to a knock sensor system.

Reading this forum has me wondering what is in store for me. I think the timing chain was already replaced about 12 -18 months ago and I've got that letter from last year about a related issue.

I love driving my Equinox and other than a few small problems that were easily fixed under warranty it's been pretty trouble-free. I'm hoping that's not about to change. I'll post the results when I get the car back.
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by KarenLS
Wish me luck! Taking my 2010 Equinox with 36,000 miles on it in tomorrow. I've had intermittent knocks that started getting worse recently and the check engine light has gone on intermittently over the past week while I've been waiting to get the car in. On Star diagnostics told me it was a P0324 error which seems to be something relating to a knock sensor system.

Reading this forum has me wondering what is in store for me. I think the timing chain was already replaced about 12 -18 months ago and I've got that letter from last year about a related issue.

I love driving my Equinox and other than a few small problems that were easily fixed under warranty it's been pretty trouble-free. I'm hoping that's not about to change. I'll post the results when I get the car back.
Hey Karen,

We will be on the look out for your updates from your dealership appointment. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 30th, 2014, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

Checking in here as I too have a 2010 Equinox LT. Car had oil consumption issues from day one. It went through 2 qts in 2000 miles. My local Chevrolet dealer did the consumption test AND has been extremely helpful getting warranty coverage. Pistons, Rings and Seals, along with Timing chain and tensioner was replaced in Aug 2013. The massive oil loss stopped. Brand new Volt rental provided for the entire 4 days it was being repaired.

Took the car back yesterday as I could hear a exhaust leak when starting the car cold. It seemed to go away as it warmed up. Dealer called today car is ready, the exhaust manifold was defective and covered under warranty. Zero cost again and another brand new rental was provided. I really like my dealer and my service department, but this vehicle has a lot of issues.

I also have a rattling noise when starting the vehicle that has not went away. It sounds very much like the lifters have been drained of oil, the after 1 or 2 seconds the noise goes away. This does not happen every time either, its rare, but it sounds like a diesel when it does make that noise.

I'll still buy GM based on the service I have received, the 2010 Equinox has a nightmare powertrain. Im in St. Petersburg, FL and my local dealer is Maher. Props to those guys and Mike my service writer.
Old July 31st, 2014, 8:40 AM
Official GM Rep

Hello,

Thank you for providing this detail regarding your service experience and vehicle concerns. We appreciate your feedback. Please let us know if the rattling noise should continue. If you would like us to reach out to your dealership to work together on a resolution, we would be happy to do so.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by Popawoody
Checking in here as I too have a 2010 Equinox LT. Car had oil consumption issues from day one. It went through 2 qts in 2000 miles. My local Chevrolet dealer did the consumption test AND has been extremely helpful getting warranty coverage. Pistons, Rings and Seals, along with Timing chain and tensioner was replaced in Aug 2013. The massive oil loss stopped. Brand new Volt rental provided for the entire 4 days it was being repaired.

Took the car back yesterday as I could hear a exhaust leak when starting the car cold. It seemed to go away as it warmed up. Dealer called today car is ready, the exhaust manifold was defective and covered under warranty. Zero cost again and another brand new rental was provided. I really like my dealer and my service department, but this vehicle has a lot of issues.

I also have a rattling noise when starting the vehicle that has not went away. It sounds very much like the lifters have been drained of oil, the after 1 or 2 seconds the noise goes away. This does not happen every time either, its rare, but it sounds like a diesel when it does make that noise.

I'll still buy GM based on the service I have received, the 2010 Equinox has a nightmare powertrain. Im in St. Petersburg, FL and my local dealer is Maher. Props to those guys and Mike my service writer.
Old July 31st, 2014, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hey Karen,

We will be on the look out for your updates from your dealership appointment. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hey Patsy - I'm still waiting after two days for them to even take a look at the car. They first offered me an appointment for today but when I told her that was the one day I could not get anyone to meet me there to take me to work after I dropped it off she said I could bring it Wednesday and at least they could take a look at it late in the day. So yesterday, I dropped it off but they did not get it in to look at it.

Today I called a little before 10:00 but they told me they were still dealing with all the cars where people were sitting there waiting. I was told mine would be going in soon and that I wasn't the only one waiting from the day before, they were really busy. Called back at 2:00 - they still had not brought mine in, but I was told it would be in by 3:00, with apologies and excuses that they were short two mechanics. Called back at 4:30 - more apologies but they STILL have not even looked at the car.

Promises that they should be able to look at it tomorrow to figure out what the problem is. They didn't say "fix the problem", just figure out what it is. I told him if it's not back tomorrow then I need a loaner car and I was told they might be able to do something about that. I also left a few recreational items in the back that I need for this weekend so I will now need to make a special trip to the dealership to retrieve things out of my car.

This has so far been a big inconvenience with no resolution. What's the point of making an appointment for service when they don't follow through and actually look at the car?
Old July 31st, 2014, 5:33 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by KarenLS
Hey Patsy - I'm still waiting after two days for them to even take a look at the car. They first offered me an appointment for today but when I told her that was the one day I could not get anyone to meet me there to take me to work after I dropped it off she said I could bring it Wednesday and at least they could take a look at it late in the day. So yesterday, I dropped it off but they did not get it in to look at it.

Today I called a little before 10:00 but they told me they were still dealing with all the cars where people were sitting there waiting. I was told mine would be going in soon and that I wasn't the only one waiting from the day before, they were really busy. Called back at 2:00 - they still had not brought mine in, but I was told it would be in by 3:00, with apologies and excuses that they were short two mechanics. Called back at 4:30 - more apologies but they STILL have not even looked at the car.

Promises that they should be able to look at it tomorrow to figure out what the problem is. They didn't say "fix the problem", just figure out what it is. I told him if it's not back tomorrow then I need a loaner car and I was told they might be able to do something about that. I also left a few recreational items in the back that I need for this weekend so I will now need to make a special trip to the dealership to retrieve things out of my car.

This has so far been a big inconvenience with no resolution. What's the point of making an appointment for service when they don't follow through and actually look at the car?
Hi KarenLS,

Thanks for making us aware of your situation. We want to apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Patsy is out of the office until Saturday, but if you could please private message us your VIN, full name and dealership we can reach out to your dealer for further information.

We hope to hear from you soon,

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 1st, 2014, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

Amber, the dealership finally came through today so at least for now I don't need any assistance with this issue.

Diagnostics showed a P0011 and P0014 error, listed as intake and exhaust cam actuator valves sticking. Both were replaced. The engine runs ok now. On star diagnostics had given me a completely different code, P0324 having to do with knock sensors but the dealership said they did not find an issue there.

On a side note I have to say I really hate going to the dealership because of the constant upsell "maintenance" that they push. I realize that is where they make their profits and I want to maintain my car but they tried to push another $600 in maintenance. The part that makes me feel they are scamming with it was telling me that it's recommended that at 30,000 miles you do a fuel line and transmission flush and I was due at 38,000 miles. I fell for that one at 28,000 miles and with research after the fact I found it was totally unnecessary. They were trying to push it again, didn't even bother to look at the maintenance history on my car.

They gave me a letter from the service manager asking me to call her if I can't give them a "completely satisfied" rating on the satisfaction survey. She'll be hearing from me about this and a few other issues on Monday.

Only other issue is with GM, not the dealership. The rubber flap covering the hatch release is wearing and torn. It doesn't get that much use so should have held up much longer. I thought I could get the rubber replaced for a reasonable fee and was planning to do that to avoid any damage to the latch from moisture. I was told they can't replace the rubber, it would be $162 because they had to remove the interior trim and replace the entire latch assembly. No thanks, a small piece of electrical tape or duct tape will seal that tear just fine.
Old August 18th, 2014, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

I also have a 2012 Chevy Equinox, I have experienced the issue with the engine sounding like a noisy lawnmower, scratch that....... my lawnmower sounds better that my piece @@@ Chevy vehicle. I have also had issues with the transmission jumping while driving it. Its been at the dealer for the last couple of days and they said for it having real low miles that the tranny fluid should not be extremely dark, NO Crap, that there going to send it over to the transmission guy. Well to come to find out that the transmission is actually normal from what they say because Chevy puts in, gets this LOL, a "Rust Inhibitor" that causes the fluid to turn that dark. WRONG Im not a idiot and I have been working on and building cars my entire life. They use a Dexron 6 in there transmissions now which is a synthetic/oil blend. These guys are completely idiots and will do anything to not fix a car under warranty. I have been a Chevy guy since the day I have been driving and since this vehicle and my Duramax I will NO LONGER be owning another Chevy as long as I live. Im sooooo disappointed in them and I will take my business else were. I just wish they would be honest and fix the damn thing so My wife and New son are safe in her Equinox I bought her.

Last edited by jrendsley; August 18th, 2014 at 4:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevy Equinox Raspy Rattle from the Engine bay