Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Equinox Spare key

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2010, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Equinox Spare key

I just purchased a 2010 Equinox and went to parts to ask for a spare key. They said that the only way to buy the key was through them and the cost was $52 because the dealer called it "laser etched" from the factory.. The key is an integrated flip-out style key inside of the keyless entry FOB.

Upon further inspection, the "key" is actually just a small metal bar approx 5mm long, 8cm wide and 2cm thick that has been routed with the imprint of what makes up the key. This bar is then put into the keyless entry FOB, held in by a pin and sold for $52. Also, if you get remote start, then you may be carrying two FOB's.

Does anyone know if these keys can be made anywhere other than Chevy?

Thanks,

Jim
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Hi Jim,

Wow, that's way less money than I was expecting this key to go for...it will be interesting to hear what price my dealership quotes me for one.

I heard that the Equinox key has a "chip" in it, which means you aren't likely to get one cut anywhere but a dealership through GM. A "chipless" key (unless things have changed) will start the vehicle for a brief moment, but it won't stay running. I'm assuming the chip is somewhere in the fob.

Amy
Old January 28th, 2010, 9:37 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the only place to buy it is from GM...and $52 is super cheap especially for a key with a fob built in
Old January 29th, 2010, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

$52 is cheap? Try going on a boat and dropping $52 into the water or laying down $52 in a mall and walking away from it or better yet, having $52 in your "hide-a-key" under the car that gets exposed to all of the elements in Chicago. No my friend, a spare key at the hardware store for $3 is cheap. GM has come up with another gimmick to rip off the public and doesn't even offer a standard key without the fob. Dealer cost on the key is $39 and even that is a rip off. Some people are never satisfied, when my hand (and wallet) is forced, I am one of them.

Thanks to Amy for pointing out that there is a chip in the key fob as well. My solution is to remove the "key" portion, stick it in my wallet then keep the FOB inside the car. I tested yesterday that the car will not start unless the key and FOB are together in close proximity. But the key will still open the door with a little leverage help from something else.

I have become quite skilled at losing keys or getting locked out over the years and so I have multiple keys for all of my cars (and no, I'm not paying for OnStar). Since I just went from Toyota ($3 spare keys) to the Equinox, I am trying to get used to how GM is making my life better by forcing me buy exclusively through them and pay $52 vs. $3. They could have at least made a real key option with a built in resistor chip. Ford only charged $35 for their version of the key only and had the common sense to put a passcode keyp[ad right on the door for dummies like me.
Old January 29th, 2010, 7:54 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

have you ever gone to a toyota dealer to buy your ford key? they'll tell you to quit smoking to good stuff.
every car maker in the last 5 years or so have been making keys with transponder chips in them to prevent theft, and i highly doubt any dealer is going to stock keys for anything other than their brand. To think you should be able to buy a gm key anywhere other than a gm dealer is ludacris, especialy for a brand new 2010.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

laser engraved keys, from what i understand use the metal key to complete the ignition circuit which sends a signal to a chip that has a program in it to disable to cars immobilizer unit which is different in every car and to be honest that's very cheap for a laser cut key. they can only be bought through the dealer and from what i remember u need the vin and ownership to order a key. i had a 03' 5 series BMW and only one key which was laser engraved. a new key cost me 250 bucks. i didn't like it. but i needed another key.
Old November 17th, 2010, 6:29 AM
CF Junior Member

"I have become quite skilled at losing keys or getting locked out over the years and so I have multiple keys for all of my cars (and no, I'm not paying for OnStar)."

Stupid ain't cheap.
Old November 26th, 2010, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Jim, When I bought my 2008 Equinox, I wanted an extra key to carry in my wallet, but didn't want to pay the dealer price for a key. I went to my local lock-smith, key code in hand thats supplied from the dealer. You can get a plain key to open the door for a few bucks, but to have it start the vehicle, they have to match the key code to the blank they make you. Mine cost me about $35. To match the key to your car, you insert the key into the ignition, turn to the on position, but not to the start position. Wait about 5 to 10 seconds, this is needed to program the chip in your new key, then turn the key to the off position. Your new key should work, just like a brand new key from the factory you get with the vehicle. I know mine did. Hope this helps.