Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Equinox "Transport Mode On"

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2011, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Equinox "Transport Mode On"

My wife's 2010 Equinox went bonkers today. In the LCD display "Transport Mode On" and her red battery light is flashing. Everything else seems to be working just fine. She did drive it home from work which is about 4.5 miles away. Has anybody had the same problem? I've called the Dealership but the service department is closed for the day already. I am going to call them tomorrow. I just want to know what I'm getting into before the surprise.
Old July 12th, 2011, 3:21 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

hashbrownn,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Did your dealership confirm the issue?

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old August 17th, 2011, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has happened twice to my 2010 Equinox. Don't know what caused it and incredibly the dealer service department claimed they had never heard of "Transport Mode" when I contacted them at the first occurrence. Apparently, however, every vehicle is shipped from the factory in this mode to protect the battery from being drained. An internet search found the following techlink bulletin.

GM Techlink: November 2010 Archives

It lists how to fix the problem for a number of GM vehicles as the fix apparently differs for each vehicle. On the Equinox you merely hold the ignition key in the hard right crank position for 15 seconds after the car has already started. You will see the Message Center notice then change to "Transport Mode Off". Problem solved. Apparently the dealer service dept can reprogram your vehicle to eliminate this incident from ever accidentally happening again if you want to spend the money. However, the solution is pretty simple once you know it.

Of course you will not find this simple solution ANYWHERE in your Owners Manual.