Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2011 Nox - My Story

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2010, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Nox - My Story

This post is intended for anyone considering a Nox versus other brands.

Ordered my 2011 Nox, Lt1, Moch Steel, AWD, I-4 a couple weeks ago. Build is the middle of next month. First Chevy I've ever owned. Replacing a Honda Sedan.

Several years ago, I purchased a top of the line, high priced Sony T.V. - it was a piece of junk that died after just a few years. Ironically, when I purchased the set, it wasn't close to the best picture, but it was a Sony. It's the same reason we bought a honda. An O'K car, but "blah" on the inside and the road noise drives me crazy. But hey, it's a honda.

Fast forward to ording the Nox. I'm committed to avoiding the mass marketing advertising campaigns I've fallen for in the past. Now, I make my own mind up. Our kids are getting bigger, and the sedan just doesn't fit as well as other platforms. Enter the small SUV world.

So, drove the Rav4. Interior is "blah". The 4 banger and 4 speed transmission seemed ancient. The ride was pedestrian. Looked at the 4 Runner, Venza, and Highlander and suffered sticker shock.

Drove the CRV. Looks are just O'K. The interior is just weird. The front seats leave you feeling out in the open. I much prefer a "cockpit" feel. Drives good, but the engine and transmission combo lacks the feeling of power. Not impressive at all.

Looked at the Nissan Rogue... ugly. Terrible back seat. Looked at the Murano... sticker shock.

The mazda CX-7 seemed like a good idea till you sit in the back seat. Forget it.

Ford escape is somewhat popular, but it's the last year before a major re-do. Resale anybody? The new Escape for next year looks great, but I can't wait that long for the model to be released.

Subaru. Why do people love these cars? For me, going to a Subaru lot is like going to the dentist. It's necessary... but upleasant. I can't get beyond how ugly and bland they are. Subaru choses function over form. Fine, but if I'm spending $25K, I want both form and function.

After that whole "hands-on" process, I started looking on the internet about Hyundai and Kia and noticed the Nox getting a lot of good reviews. I thought it looked really good. Went to a Chevy lot and drove one. The difference between the Nox, Rav4, and CRV isn't even close. Honestly, it's not even a fair fight. The Nox destroyed the competition on the test drive. In fact, it was so impressive, I never even considered the Korean vehicles.

Look, the Nox had everything. On research, I discovered it has a state of the art engine, in fact it's one of Ward's top 10 best best engines in North America. The six speed tranny is state of the art. The combo of those two make for a very effective driving experience. It has Blackout windows. A roomy back seat... unlike most other vehicles I might say. Serveral power ports. All the little things that speak to refinement in the price range. Overall, the Nox was just more sophisticated and much more technologically advanced than the Rav4 and CRV.

But it's a Chevy. Unfortunately, I had to think long and hard before buying one because of reputation. But, I have rented Chevy Malibu's and comparing those to the Honda I own, I'd have to say the Malibu wins the day. The 4 banger is more lively and the 6 speed transmission is vastly superior to the transmission in the Honda. Surprising really. And the interior of the Malibu is light years ahead of the Honda in my opinion.

I'm actually thrilled I liked an American product better than a rice burner. Please, please, please Chevy don't let me down with the reliability.... everything else is just right.

Sorry for such a long read, but I wanted to share with anyone researching the Nox for a potential purchase. My advice, drive them all, do your research, and then make your own decision. Don't buy on reputation alone.

BTW, my deal to buy a Nox took all of about 5 minutes. After I drove the Nox, and the salesman had listened to my story during the test drive, he walked in to the sales manager's office, came out after a couple minutes with a deal. The salesman explained that I'm represent the most important customer to Chevy's future, because I owned a Honda... so they offered 5% below MSRP on ordering a 2011. After considering for a few days, went back and ordered the Nox. No hastles. No negotiating. The process took maybe 20 minutes and was by far the best buying experience I've had.

Great job Chevy.
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Wow..it's strange how much your experience mirrored my own. My 2010 Nox was my first American vehicle in 20 years, and my first GM product ever. I too came from an import sedan (Mazda 6) and shopped all the competition including the CRV, RAV4, Rogue, Murano, Escape, Edge and Tucson. Every small suv I test drove had things I liked, but none of them was the complete package (including price) that the Equinox was. Reading numerous professional and user reviews of the Equinox set my mind at ease that the "New GM" truly was new...and not repeating the mistakes that led to their poor reputation for quality and innovation in the 80's-90's...and even earlier this century. I've had my Nox for over 8 months now and still feel that I made the right choice.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default you told my story

i'm coming from a 2004 Nissan Murano. Loved it. Best - well, was the best - car I ever owned. After the tranny issues (CVT), a friend of mine suggested I test drive a Nox. I did simply to cross it off my list. Nothing came close to my Murano without spending $40K+. Once I test drove the 2011 Nox, it was all over. It had everything I wanted, more than my '04 Murano, all the features of a BMW X5, and at a price I could afford.

I am very happy to have found something that is more enjoyable to drive for less money - and the MPG to boot.

I never thought I would buy American (been buying Nissan since 2000) but this car has definitely given me a reason to change my mind.
Old October 25th, 2010, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

I received the Nox two weeks ago. Here are some random thoughts:

1) Love the Mocha Metallic color. Fit and finish on the exterior is really superb.

2) I like the LT1 matching color door handles and mirrors better than the chrome offered on the "up" models. I also like the black luggage rack better than the chrome.

3) The stock 17" rooms look better than the "up" 18" rims. The Michelin tires on the 17" rims are outstanding - no corners cut.

4) I Wish the LT1 came with fog lights, but the extra cost of the LT2 isn't justified in my opinion. Many will disagree with me and I totally understand - this is personal preference on price point.

5) Fit and finish on the interior is very good.

6) I'm becoming a huge fan of the jet black premium cloth interior. In fact, I'm trying to reminder why I've always had leather - it's either cold or hot and you stick to it. Not so with the cloth.

7) My kids love the back seat. There is so much room.

8) The tinted windows are great. I wouldn't consider an LS for this one reason.

9) There are a lot of "experts" complaining about how the steering wheel obscures the view of the guages. It's true. But, because the speed is electronically displayed, I find that I don't even use the guages.

10) The unlock button for the doors is on the center stack instead of the armrest on the driver side door. Strange. But now that I'm used to it, I like it.

11) The blue lights on all the guages and everthing is really cool.

12) I quite like the steering and have not noticed the issue of it not returning to center when when you make sharp right or left turns.

13) Steering wheel controls are very good.

14) The center stack looks complicated, but it is extremely functional. Got used to it after a couple of days. I like it.

15) THE CENTER STACK HAS A SQUEAK AT 45 MPG - BUMMER!

16) The carpet mats are not impressive. Order the higher quality all season mats.

17) Definitely get the fully electric driver's seat. I didn't and I regret it.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the Nox. It drives so well and comfortable that first, I can't believe it's a Chevy, and 2nd, I can't believe it is a 4 cylinder.

Hope this info helps anyone considering a Nox.
Old October 25th, 2010, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Point of clarification. My deal was $200 over invoice, not 5% below MSRP as I stated in my original e-mail. The 5% below MSRP was for a new 2010 on the lot, the $200 over was if I ordered a new 2011.