Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear this, jamia04! Please feel free to send us a private message at any time so we may assist in a resolution.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by jamia04
I have a 2014 and its doing the same thing with the knocking noise
Old April 9th, 2014, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I told the dealership where I get my car from and was told the noise has to be happening when I brought the vehicle to them other than that they will not do anything. This sucks I have had the ride for almost two weeks.
Old April 10th, 2014, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy equinox - gm knows, it's the auxiliary pump

I continue to be baffled by all the posts regarding the Equinox 2013 and 2014 knocking noise at the back of the vehicle. I find it hard to believe that GM/Chevy have not recalled these models for a fix. But no, they just keep selling them and even when purchasers bring them in for service to fix it - few of the dealership's service managers are aware of it. My dealership was not and that's when I found this forum and learned that GM is aware of this issue and say it is the "auxiliary pump" not the "high pressure fuel pump.

To complicate matters, the knocking is sporadic and can't be reproduced so that the dealership can hear readily...and if they can't hear it, they aren't going to do anything. My dealership had asked me to leave the car with them 3 days and that someone would drive it periodically to see if the knocking happened...it was at that time that I made a stink about the whole purchase (I had only had the car for 7 days at the time) took it back and cried my way into a different vehicle. The 2nd vehicle hasn't made the knocking noise at all - so if my first car was 1 out of a 1000 that had the knocking noise - that's the one I had purchased. I was so upset over the problem, that the sales manager said that I could trade it for another one. God bless that guy!!! And the Service Manager seemed genuinely interested to hear about the problem - and I had shown them this forum with all the complaints and concerns about that same issue - the knocking noise! Take this proof to your service manager and show him that it is a problem - happening across the country and that GM should either enforce a recall to fix this or make it known to all dealerships that it is the auxiliary pump causing the knocking and teach the service dept how to repair it.

Oh and the people from GM and Chevy who are offering to help us via their replies from GM/Chevy Customer Service - say they want to help, but when I read their posts - there's no weight in what they say. Are they really reporting this problem to their management? I don't know???

Good luck to all,
Lucky Lindy
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

how do you know its the aux fuel pump? Is that the repair they did? I never heard of a transfer pump making an intermittent knocking noise. if you have a link with info on this fix, post it.
Old April 12th, 2014, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

I read it in this forum back in January and it was from another owner who had it repaired. That post said that GM was aware of the issue and that Service Managers should call GM for information regarding the auxiliary fuel pump fix. It was not the fuel module as stated below. Maybe contact that dealership in Jacksonville, North Carolina below and ask them what it is...then tell your service manager about it.

Here is the one thread below that identifies the true problem: (sent to the forum and to me by Lindsay on Feb. 7, 2014)

Good morning.Yes my equinox got fix. It was the first known problem of the cars made.They second time I took it in my dealership they had it for 6 days and found the problem. It was a bad auxiliary pump.The makes pump has a hump and causing it not to function properly.Let your techs know to go on the GM site and they can find the information they need.My dealer ship is Marine Chevrolet Jacksonville NC if they need to contact my techs.I did not talk with Erica Tiffany(Chevy Forum Customer Service Rep) however I spoke with gm just so they could keep on file how many people were having this issue.I hope this helps if you have any mote questions please let me know.

And here is the complete thread below as I first saw it back in Feb. 2014. The problem had started with the 2013 model apparently. I hope this helps and the Chevy customer Reps are there to lend a shoulder to whine on - but never offered me any help that was useful. Why GM/chevy won't just fix this for everyone instead of pretending like it doesn't exist is beyond me...and no recall was made I guess because no one has died from it - just not important enough to them so it appears. Shame on them for not stepping up and coming clean on this much complained-about issue. It's ridiculous really.....

08-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Official GM Rep

oin Date: Mar 2010
GMLouisFischer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychevy13 View Post
Mjoines & everyone else I have the same issues with my 2013 equinox. I took it in last week and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Of course the noise isn't consistent so I understand. However, they told me that I would just have to let the problem manifest a bit more! Help has anyone's car been rid of the problem?????
Hello Mychevy13,

I am sorry you are also experiencing an occasional knocking noise from the back end on your Equinox. I understand an intermittent issue can be frustrating to deal with. I am sorry the dealer was not able to fix this concern. If you would like to further discuss your issue or have additional questions, please reach out to us via private message and include your contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealership.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Erica Tiffany)
Chevrolet Customer Care
#22 Report Post
Old 11-01-2013, 11:09 PM
CF Beginner

My dealer found a bulletin on this. They refer to the sound as a popping noise. The fix is replacing something called a fuel module. This involves taking down the fuel tank.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
#23 Report Post
Old 12-28-2013, 01:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 Equinox thump noise
My 2013 Chevy Equinox qith 17,000 miles is having the same exact problem. It is not consistent but it makes a thump noise in the rear after I start the car and sometimes at red lights. I took it into the dealership yesterday and they said they could not recreate the noise and saw nothing wrong so they could not fix anything. They said to bring it back when I can leave it for a few days so they can try to see if it happens but doing that is not very convenient especially if they don't hear it again. Do you recommend me leaving it there in hopes that they hear it or so should I tell them to call gm?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
#24 Report Post
Old 12-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Official GM Rep

GMLouisFischer
AEllis1382,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern with your Equinox. I know it can be frustrating when your concern is difficult to replicate while at the dealership. If you do have a few days to leave your vehicle at the dealership, we can certainly try to assist. We can also look into your rental car availability. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, mileage, and dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 13th, 2014, 8:06 PM
Super Moderator

I did find the bulletin. It is newly released (7weeks) so unless the dealership has seen this concern before, they may not be aware of it. The conditions needed to duplicate the concern are very specific; hence the need to keep the vehicle to verify the concern. Imagine trying to fix a problem with no dtc setting and not be able to duplicate the noise...its not easy. Customers who professions involve diagnostics get this.

I think the dealership did a good job. Gm would have paid for a rental during the time they have your car if it was under warranty. If they paid for a rental, and fixed the car for no charge...your complaint is what?
Old April 14th, 2014, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
I did find the bulletin. It is newly released (7weeks) so unless the dealership has seen this concern before, they may not be aware of it. The conditions needed to duplicate the concern are very specific; hence the need to keep the vehicle to verify the concern. Imagine trying to fix a problem with no dtc setting and not be able to duplicate the noise...its not easy. Customers who professions involve diagnostics get this.

I think the dealership did a good job. Gm would have paid for a rental during the time they have your car if it was under warranty. If they paid for a rental, and fixed the car for no charge...your complaint is what?
do you have a link to the bulletin? thanks you.
Old April 14th, 2014, 8:43 PM
Super Moderator

the information bulletin is #PIP5122B. They may be a link to get it on this website. I do not post gm owned documents.
Old June 10th, 2014, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same knocking in 05 equinox

My 2005 has the same knocking issue- it sounds like someone knocks on the back of the car. Has this been verified that it actually is the auxiliary pump? If so- is it a pricey fix/ or hard to fix on my own? I also have a wonderful issue of ABS going off every time you step on the brakes annnnd a loud squeal from possibly the carrier bearing? I already regret buying this vehicle and I've only had it for 7 months!
Old June 10th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

the tsb may not apply to your model as an new models are a complete redesign.

Quick Reply: 2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end