Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2015, 7:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile FIXED 2013 Chevrolet Equinox.

Hello all my name is Lindsey I am one of the originators of this post from 2012. I in fact was having the same issue you all are currently having and upon receiving many emails I thought this would be more convenient to respond to all. I did manage to get a recording of the knocking after weeks of my techs looking at me crazy I gave them my equinox one last time and with the recording and they fixed it. The knocking is coming from the AUXILIARY PUMP. There is in fact a record of it with GM you need to have you techs contact GM. Do not let them tell you they cant fix it because they can replace the part at no cost. I still do take my equinox to my local dealership where i purchased it. My techs name is Charles Rowe he knows all the details about the issue my dealership is Marine Chevrolet in Jacksonville NC. If you would like to have you tech contact mine for information. Again the AUXILIARY PUMP NEEDS REPLACING.

My Equinox has been fixed for 2 years and I have NEVER heard the knocking again.

Hope this helps everyone of you in getting your Equinox fixed.

Last edited by lmich18; January 9th, 2015 at 7:11 AM.
Old March 29th, 2015, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2015 Equinox 2LT AWD 4 cyl

I just purchased this vehicle the beginning of March and noticed the popping noise right away. I asked the dealer and they said they have never heard a complaint of that before. They said it would probably go away eventually. It has not gone away. It generally happens approximately 4 minutes after starting, either parked and idling, or in gear and moving. The first time it happened it scared the crap out of me because it sounded like someone was at the rear of my vehicle knocking on it, like I hit or ran someone over. I had to stop my vehicle, get out, and look around. Sounds like this is a continued problem since 2013. One would think that with the recent problems GM has had with not recalling vehicles that caused deaths and lawsuits that they would do something about this. Maybe the new GM CEO that has pledged to turn things around is not the right person to do the job.
Old October 10th, 2015, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end

I'm having the same problem with my 2010, just started yesterday haven't even had this thing a year and it's been nothing but problems. This is my first and LAST Chevy!
Old April 20th, 2016, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

I have had this knocking sound going on for a while now. I cannot place it but it sounds like someone is trying to get out of a trunk. (which I don't have). It will start slow and then speed up really fast. You can also hear it outside of the vehicle too. It will do it in cold and warm weather, driving or at a stand still. I have reported it before to my dealership and they said that it sounds like the latch on the back. They said I would have to bring it in when I can leave my car with them. I have had my car with them for two days and they said they have driven my car and it is not making that noise. I told them that it happens at random times. They said I can come get it because and I can bring it back when it starts happeing again. I told them again that it is only random. Told me they don't know what to do if they can't hear the noise. If I keep my car there then I am wasting their mechanics time and mine too. I don't care how long it takes, I just want it fixed!! The real kicker is that they made an appointment to come in and have it fixed the same day I had an oil change. Then when I came in the next week, they told me my warranty expired a fews day prior to my scheduled appointment. They said because they didn't make notes on why I was coming in for service, that the warranty would not cover it. After complaining and talking to the manager, the manager said he would take care of it. I am afraid that If I leave with this car, they are going to still say I am not covered. I am not satisfied at all with this noise and the fact that no one knows what to do with it. I have even tried recording the noise too. This was the first new car that I bought in my lifetime and so far, I am not a happy Chevy Owner! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE PROBLEM IS SO I CAN TELL THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT HOW TO FIX IT?
Old September 3rd, 2016, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Just bought a 2016 Equinox and recently noticed the same thing. My car does this after you start it and it does it a few times after you turn it off. Taking it in today to see if it is auxiliary pump. Thanks.
Old November 20th, 2016, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue- popping noise

I got my 2014 chevy equinox in october 26 2016 and started hearing that noise..who do i call about this i have warranty on it!
Old February 13th, 2017, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 Chevy Equinox LT--Knocking noises randomly occurring and only for 10-30 seconds

I have the same issue and my Dealership (Lou Bachrodt- Coconut Creek, FL) has stated that GM/Chevrolet home office is not familiar with this issue. I am out of warranty so now the onus is back on me to sort this out while trying to get the mechanics at the dealership to replicate the noise. Needless to say, they have taken the car in on 2 separate occasions and we are not able to replicate the knocking. Of course, I drive into my work parking lot today and knocking starts again. Why isn't GM issuing a factory recall for this year/make/model/part?. Are they waiting for an accident or class action before correcting the issue? This is very disheartening. Until then, I have to keep dropping my '13 Equinox LT at my dealer until they can replicate the noise, and hope they can solve the issue during the 20 Seconds it happens....
Old February 21st, 2017, 10:08 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Samson325
I have the same issue and my Dealership (Lou Bachrodt- Coconut Creek, FL) has stated that GM/Chevrolet home office is not familiar with this issue. I am out of warranty so now the onus is back on me to sort this out while trying to get the mechanics at the dealership to replicate the noise. Needless to say, they have taken the car in on 2 separate occasions and we are not able to replicate the knocking. Of course, I drive into my work parking lot today and knocking starts again. Why isn't GM issuing a factory recall for this year/make/model/part?. Are they waiting for an accident or class action before correcting the issue? This is very disheartening. Until then, I have to keep dropping my '13 Equinox LT at my dealer until they can replicate the noise, and hope they can solve the issue during the 20 Seconds it happens....
Hello Samson325,

We just responded to an additional post, but we wanted to acknowledge this one as well. We're very sorry to hear about the frustration this has caused you, and we'd like to look into this further on our end. Please send us a private message if you would like us to work in tandem with your dealership to resolve this.

We look forward to your response,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 23rd, 2017, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default My truck is doing this too!

I really need assistance...I really wished I would have investigated this vehicle before buying...now I feel as if I am going to unload tons of money on a lemon! I have a 2015 Equinox...about 40,000 miles...I have started hearing a knocking/popping noise after I have been driving and I park & turn off the car...popping comes from the back end. I am just coming back from the dealer for this issue AND another issue with my check engine light & message that my engine power is reduced 50% & to service my "stabilitrac'...LONG STORY...they changed the pedal assembly (the part is on nationwide backorder, so this must be common) my check engine light would come on & be off the next morning...FRUSTRATING!...but it left a hard code..said it MAY be pedal assembly. ..MAY be something else...paid for the pedal assembly...FIVE HOURS IN THAT SHOP today! I wonder if they knew what they were doing??? But I am STILL experiencing issues & the popping noise is still there! My truck is STILL not accelerating like it should...I have been told the next repair will be over $1,200!! NOT covered by warranty...but it is a COMMON problem with the Equinox...It is no fun paying the monthly note AND paying for repairs on a truck less than 2 years old!!! Cannot trade it in just yet....I am just disgusted & VERY unhappy about this purchase!!!
Old April 16th, 2017, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Erica

Im having the same issue as many others this knocking sound from the rear and its disturbing. This is my 2nd equinox granted its higher mileage at 102k but this is a on going issue with this car and for many others.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
lmich18, mjoines, Equinoxowner,

I know multiple trips to the dealership can be frustrating. I would like to look into each situation separately. Can you please private message me your name, VIN, address, phone number, and name of the Certified GM Dealership you are working with? Hope to hear from you soon!

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2013 Equinox occasional knocking noise from back end