Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

i have an issue with getting a broken part out of an oil galley

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2022, 5:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i have an issue with getting a broken part out of an oil galley

a guy on another forum called carfix took his silverado v8 engine that has some type of variable valve lifter shutdown, he calls it vlom. any way for some reason he had to work the the engne and he managed to drop an easy out down into the area wy back by the back of the engine that get the oil for the system to work. any way to me it looks like he broke off maybe 1" of that easy out he was using to take out something that i just can't figure out yet what or why. being not there i can olny guess.
any way he did get the largest part of the easy out beck out of that port and now he says the business end is still in there. he has removed the vlom center cover to reveal that port. i told him if he thinks the broken part is lieing down flat in the oil galley to see if he car remove the plug on the front of the block if he can get to it and blow air into that port he is messing with and see if he can blow the broken pcs out the front of the engine.

this is the block and he is working in the far back on the right side

this is the port he is working in now

this is the easy out he said he broke off. i do not reconise this style of easy out.

thi is the part he tried to go thru for whatever reason? i think that part they have threaded into that port he was trying to take out for some reason???

this is the oil galley dia. he is working where the line is as #219 and i think there might be a galley plug in the front of the block for machineing porpouses and plugged that h might be able to remove and them blow air into the galley at #219 and see if that pcd. will blow out the open removed plug he took out at the front of the block.

so can anyone lend some pointer on this dilemma? he is about out of ideas and struggling to figure it out. don't get after him bad as i do not know why he started this job yet. but i'm leaning on some issues with the valves not operatinf like they should and he was trying to figure it out and got lost in the work.
thanks
Old September 4th, 2022, 2:55 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by corvairbob
a guy on another forum called carfix took his silverado v8 engine that has some type of variable valve lifter shutdown, he calls it vlom. any way for some reason he had to work the the engne and he managed to drop an easy out down into the area wy back by the back of the engine that get the oil for the system to work. any way to me it looks like he broke off maybe 1" of that easy out he was using to take out something that i just can't figure out yet what or why. being not there i can olny guess.
any way he did get the largest part of the easy out beck out of that port and now he says the business end is still in there. he has removed the vlom center cover to reveal that port. i told him if he thinks the broken part is lieing down flat in the oil galley to see if he car remove the plug on the front of the block if he can get to it and blow air into that port he is messing with and see if he can blow the broken pcs out the front of the engine.

this is the block and he is working in the far back on the right side

this is the port he is working in now

this is the easy out he said he broke off. i do not reconise this style of easy out.

thi is the part he tried to go thru for whatever reason? i think that part they have threaded into that port he was trying to take out for some reason???

this is the oil galley dia. he is working where the line is as #219 and i think there might be a galley plug in the front of the block for machineing porpouses and plugged that h might be able to remove and them blow air into the galley at #219 and see if that pcd. will blow out the open removed plug he took out at the front of the block.

so can anyone lend some pointer on this dilemma? he is about out of ideas and struggling to figure it out. don't get after him bad as i do not know why he started this job yet. but i'm leaning on some issues with the valves not operatinf like they should and he was trying to figure it out and got lost in the work.
thanks
Try a flexible magnetic tool. If that doesn't work, they make a flexible four prong device that is mechanical, not magnetic, that might work if he can see the item he wants to remove.
Old September 4th, 2022, 9:00 AM
CF Junior Member

thanks he tried a magnet and that did not work and the hole he tells me is like 4 or maybe 7mm so not very big. i was hoping the engine would have a removable plug in the front of the engine that he could remove and then try blowing air into that hole and blow the broken tool out of the galley? so maybe some here have taken one of these blocks down far enough to know if that can be done? thanks
Old September 4th, 2022, 10:58 AM
CF Junior Member

i looked at that block and it looks like that oil galley is a big galley and if he was to get enough air pressure on that port he may get luck and push that broken pcs out the front and into the pan. but the only way he will know for sure is to take the pan off an look for the part. if the block did not have that sealed cover on the back side he might be able to push it out the back but i guess something has to be there so the pump can build pressure. but is there a cover on the front tht holds the cam and may not let that chunk drop out? i see there is a cover called a thrust plate so he may have to take the front apart and remove that plate and fish out the easy out with a magnet thru those ports so what say you guys? thanks
front of the block

back of the block

Old September 4th, 2022, 2:27 PM
CF Junior Member

ok update it turns out that oil galley is machined and that area i was talking about is just a section the oil crosses over at. but in the back it still looks large enough to catch a broken easy out tip and trap it in that crossover section. i told him the take out the back lifters and look into the oil galley the best he can and maybe that part is just setting there. and see if he might be able to get a magnet into the galley to grab that part and get it out. but it still could be going down the main oil galley from the filter and he may have to open that up to see. i do not think that part will make it past the lifters but maybe it can so he really has to find it so he knows for sure. if he has not put any air pressure on the oil galleys yet it just may be setting at the first lifter or it fell down the port to the filter. i will let you know if he tells me if he found it. if youhave ideas let me know please.
Old September 5th, 2022, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get one these for sure. I'm not certain it can snake all the way down to where that bad boy is though.
Check this out on Amazon
Wireless Endoscope, NIDAGE 5.5mm 2MP WiFi Borescope 1080P HD Semi-Rigid Snake Camera for iPhone Android, Tablet, Motor Engine Sewer Pipe Vehicle Inspection Camera(11.5FT) https://a.co/d/3mNTz5m
Old September 5th, 2022, 9:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by markni12301
Get one these for sure. I'm not certain it can snake all the way down to where that bad boy is though.
Check this out on Amazon
Wireless Endoscope, NIDAGE 5.5mm 2MP WiFi Borescope 1080P HD Semi-Rigid Snake Camera for iPhone Android, Tablet, Motor Engine Sewer Pipe Vehicle Inspection Camera(11.5FT) https://a.co/d/3mNTz5m
thanks he has one and used it to look down inside the oil galley. his post is getting so convoluted that i told him to start over form the very beginning. for one thing he is in the s10 groups and now i find out he is talking about a v8 in a silverado.

anyway he started talking of something to do with a vlom issue, i think he is having issues with the cylinders either not firing all the time or not at all. so for some reason he shows the vlom cover and some type of threaded restrictor in that cover and then next time he said i dropped an easy out down into the galley and then shows a broken easy out, so i'm leaning on that easy out was broke when he picked it up and it fell into the galley and when he go it out he saw it was broken. there is now way that easy out broke by dropping it into the galley.

so i asked him to start over form the very beginning with make model and engine he is working with and then ask him to set us thru the things he did leading up to the easy out getting broken. if he was trying to remove the threaded insert in the vlom cover when it was still on the engine and the easy out then fell into the galley like i said there is not way that broke by falling 5" into that port.
thanks.
The following users liked this post:
markni12301 (September 5th, 2022)