Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

radiator fan motors and fan replacement

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2020, 4:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default radiator fan motors and fan replacement

06 equinox have replaced the pig tails to radiator fan assembly ( put in acdelco motors and fan blades) and have replaced all relays and fuses in power distribution box. small fan in from of ac compressor remains on with compressor on , but when compressor button is off small fan turns off. was wondering why the large fan in front of engine hasn't kicked on or do I need to get coolant and engine up to a certain temperature for it to kick on?

also, when compressor is on, tensioner makes noise( like a old fashion bicycle with a playing card in spoke) but when kicked off its silent.

Originally had p0480 and p0481 after new motors and pigtails installed and cleared those codes.

I started and let the car sit for a little while, and then on one crank up engine light came on and had U0073 (control mod comm bus off)

any ideas to help on this would be great.
Old August 6th, 2020, 10:25 PM
CF Active Member

just went and cranked it up didn't see a check engine light. I let its sit for about 5 min with the compressor on. Im hearing the clutch on the compressor come on for about 25 seconds and then click off and then about 10 minutes cycle over again, could I be low on freon or maybe the whole compressor is on the way out?
just wanted to give y'all an update,
will post again tomorrow.
Old August 7th, 2020, 12:30 PM
CF Active Member

JUst cranked up and no engine light. Doesn’t seem like compressor clutch is clicking on and off every 27 seconds. Engine coolant temp was 183 the large fan on drivers side still has to yet kick on. Do I need to put a load as in drive with it to kick on to get to a designated temp that way it kicks on??
Old August 7th, 2020, 2:06 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ap4u06
JUst cranked up and no engine light. Doesn’t seem like compressor clutch is clicking on and off every 27 seconds. Engine coolant temp was 183 the large fan on drivers side still has to yet kick on. Do I need to put a load as in drive with it to kick on to get to a designated temp that way it kicks on??
It's normal for the compressor clutch to cycle on the 2006-2009 Equinox. The temperature of the evaporator is monitored and the A/C compressor is cycled accordingly to prevent it from freezing up.

I'm pretty sure your radiator fans are not working properly, When the A/C is turned on, both fans should run at low speed. AFAIK there is no scenario in which only one fan should be running.
Old August 7th, 2020, 2:30 PM
CF Active Member

GOnna recheck the connections and pig tails and crimps to make sure there tight. Then relook at the relay frame under headlight.
Old August 8th, 2020, 5:23 PM
CF Active Member

DID a visual and saw where pigtail crimp had come undone. Crimped back together confirmed I had 12 volts with fan control on. Turned off fan control turned on heat and fan and let sit for around 20 minutes and car went to 216 f . Large fan never turned on. Confirmed fuses and relays were good as well. I also replaced the black top to relay under headlight. Car temp gauge went just above half way when the small air conditioner fan came on and cooled the temperature back to 190. Could I be experiencing maybe a bad coolant temperature sensor is why he large fan isn’t coming on?

Thanks
Old August 11th, 2020, 7:48 AM
CF Active Member

anyone think i could have gotten a bad motor??