Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

radio

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2020, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio

I bought a wrecked equinox ltz and the radio worked fine and sounded good. the batt died from setting so i jumped it and carried to the body shop but radio would not come on. Ithouht maybe a new batt when i got it back. new batt and still no radio. i carried to dealer and they say it needs a radio . I purchased one from salvage yard and still nothing even lights up. I put the radio in in known good car and it wors fine. I have voltage on the red/white wire as diagram states. could it be amp? I know something has something killed somewhere. Ive tried all I know. Scan tool shows no radio codes, only an engine code for hood latch release and have ordered it but not got here yet. It has voltage on every fuse inside cabin related to this. Anyone with similar issue would great help.
Old August 21st, 2020, 11:59 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

There is a second wire that needs power. I think it is yellow. This is the accessory power that keeps the clock and memory with the key off. I have seen radios that don't work if both wires are nor powered up.
Old August 21st, 2020, 3:07 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nedlancaster
I bought a wrecked equinox ltz and the radio worked fine and sounded good. the batt died from setting so i jumped it and carried to the body shop but radio would not come on. Ithouht maybe a new batt when i got it back. new batt and still no radio. i carried to dealer and they say it needs a radio . I purchased one from salvage yard and still nothing even lights up. I put the radio in in known good car and it wors fine. I have voltage on the red/white wire as diagram states. could it be amp? I know something has something killed somewhere. Ive tried all I know. Scan tool shows no radio codes, only an engine code for hood latch release and have ordered it but not got here yet. It has voltage on every fuse inside cabin related to this. Anyone with similar issue would great help.
What year is the Equinox?
​Does the radio display work and just no sound or is it completely dead? In both ACC and RUN?
​​​Are there any other accessories that don't work such as the power windows? If so, you may have a fault in the Retained Accessory Power circuit.

The radio is commanded to turn on by the BCM over a data connection no matter what year it is so check all the BCM fuses too. The radio's power wire is supposed to be hot at all times, so that's good, but now you need to troubleshoot other things.

Last edited by ruley73; August 21st, 2020 at 3:12 PM.
Old August 27th, 2020, 6:42 AM
CF Beginner

All fuses are good.Apparently this is a common issue if you google it. Ive tried everything that people are saying. took it to a chev dealer and they said radio. I put this radio in another nox and it works. My Screen is blank. Only thing i havent tried is the amp. I have Mitchell and doesnt give much help for diagnostics. Power for everything else works perfect. I saw a bulletin for the antenna coax but not radio going blank.
Old August 27th, 2020, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

no luck .two days and have not found it. still looking for issue.
Old August 27th, 2020, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

Its a 2013 LTZ. AC controls work. all works but the radio and of course the screen is black. pulled fuses , battery disconected over night. Nothing. All fuses have power and no trouble codes for any module in the car.
Old August 27th, 2020, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

2013 LTZ just discovered that the data on my scan tool shows radio to only have 3 volts running. Checked another known good nox and its data shows 14 volts running. just need to figure what supplies this voltage.
Old August 27th, 2020, 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have the setup I'm picturing, the radio is separate from the display and the controls. Do all 3 have power and ground? Where are you testing for power, at the module itself or at the display?