Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

rear hatch unlocks then re-locks immediately

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2020, 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear hatch unlocks then re-locks immediately

2015 Equinox - rear hatch suddenly will not open with the button overhead inside, nor will it open with the remote, but when I manually press the latch outside, it unlocks, then immediately closes. It never raises. The only way I can open it is to catch it when it unlocks and manually pull it up. Once up, the only way to close it is manually...the button on the hatch does not close it. I have verified the fuses (#23 and #49) are OK. I also Googled the issue and no help so far. Any suggestions on what to check is appreciated. Thanks.
Old November 20th, 2020, 6:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ron6962
2015 Equinox - rear hatch suddenly will not open with the button overhead inside, nor will it open with the remote, but when I manually press the latch outside, it unlocks, then immediately closes. It never raises. The only way I can open it is to catch it when it unlocks and manually pull it up. Once up, the only way to close it is manually...the button on the hatch does not close it. I have verified the fuses (#23 and #49) are OK. I also Googled the issue and no help so far. Any suggestions on what to check is appreciated. Thanks.
Wish I could help you further, but I have a 2015 Malibu. Sometimes it would open up within a minute of driving. I chucked the release mechanism a couple of months ago and no issues since then, I have the release button too, BTW. I surely wish Chevrolet just had a key, but that's not an option anymore.
Old November 20th, 2020, 11:50 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm going to assume this is a powered liftgate that can open and close by itself with the push of a button. The first thing I'd suspect is a weak battery. If it's never been replaced before, it's about due for replacement so get it tested and replaced if necessary. I'm thinking the liftgate is attempting to open, but a voltage drop caused by the electrical load of the liftgate actuator attempting to lift the liftgate might be preventing it from being able to complete the process. The liftgate control module circuits (fuses 23 and 49) contain a 30A and 15A fuse respectively for a total of 45 amps. That's a hefty electrical load for the battery when the engine isn't running, so a bad battery is very plausible.

Let us know what you find with the battery and whether or not that corrects the problem.
Old November 20th, 2020, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
I'm going to assume this is a powered liftgate that can open and close by itself with the push of a button. The first thing I'd suspect is a weak battery. If it's never been replaced before, it's about due for replacement so get it tested and replaced if necessary. I'm thinking the liftgate is attempting to open, but a voltage drop caused by the electrical load of the liftgate actuator attempting to lift the liftgate might be preventing it from being able to complete the process. The liftgate control module circuits (fuses 23 and 49) contain a 30A and 15A fuse respectively for a total of 45 amps. That's a hefty electrical load for the battery when the engine isn't running, so a bad battery is very plausible.

Let us know what you find with the battery and whether or not that corrects the problem.
Ruley73, thanks for the post. Yes, this is a powered liftgate. I had not considered the battery being an issue, but what you say makes sense. I will check that out as soon as I can get access to the car, and will get back. Thanks.
Old November 20th, 2020, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Ruley73, thanks for the post. Yes, this is a powered liftgate. I had not considered the battery being an issue, but what you say makes sense. I will check that out as soon as I can get access to the car, and will get back. Thanks.
Well, this is what I get for trying to help someone with a car problem over the phone. I asked her to try the switches again with the car running and this time when she tried the overhead switch, she said she noticed it was in the OFF position. Honestly, I didn't even know it had an ON/OFF switch. She put the switch to ON (also has 3/4 ?) and all is working normally again. I apologize for the confusion.